What's new

Blackland Brotherhood - B³

First shave with my new Blackbird Ti. Love the craftsmanship on this razor. I'm not sure of the weight of the Ti yet, I can't believe how light it is. I also have the Ti stand but it seems that the machining might be a bit off. There is wiggle room when I put it in the stand. Or maybe it's a weight issue. Does anyone else have this issue? I say issue but it's very marginal as issues would go.

Anyone trade the Ti for the steel version do to weight?

My only other new razor that has a very similar style stand in my Masamune. Which has zero wiggle room when in the stand. It's because of my love for the Masamune that I wanted the Blackbird razor. But with the price I knew it would be bit before I would get one. Until they had the recently sale and I got an extra 15% off.

View attachment 1553822
So… how was the shave?

9BB72CA7-6946-4F7A-B86F-CED77499B32F.jpeg

I started with the SS version which quickly became my favorite razor. After reading all of the praises for the titanium, I decided to get one.

The Ti (for me and others may find different) is extremely nimble. It does not give me the softer face feel that I experienced with the Timeless Titanium.

Because of the nimbleness it has replaced the SS as my everyday razor (daily shaver). The SS is now my travel razor. After the Ti, the increased weight is very obvious but I adjust and get great shaves. Returning to the Ti after the trip, I immediately notice the nimbleness and why I have made the Ti number 1.

I started with the SS version which quickly became my favorite razor. After reading all of the praises for the titanium, I decided to get one.

The Ti (for me and others may find different) is extremely nimble. It does not give me the softer face feel that I experienced with the Timeless Titanium.

Because of the nimbleness it has replaced the SS as my everyday razor (daily shaver). The SS is now my travel razor. After the Ti, the increased weight is very obvious but I adjust and get great shaves. Returning to the Ti after the trip, I immediately notice the nimbleness and why I have made the Ti number 1.
So your saying the Ti isn’t any milder on the skin, just more nimble in terms of handling? This is what I would logically expect of the same razor with the same geometry but different material. This is contrary to many peoples opinion that the Ti is a smoother, milder shaver.

For the record, I haven’t used either. Trying to understand the differences so I can pick the right one when the time comes. I’m leaning towards polished SS at the moment. It will have to wait until maybe the next big sale. I have an Era OC level 4 and 5 on the way. I have been thinking about a blackbird for a very long time, but I ended up purchasing the Era a few days ago on impulse.

I have seen a lot of positive reviews of the Era recently, and I’m assuming it will be more approachable then the blackbird. With the reduced price and my discount code, the deal was too good to resist. Hopefully I love it. If not, I’ll have a razor that is well liked by many and no longer available. Either way I still need a blackbird one day.

Rant finished, cheers 🍻

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
So your saying the Ti isn’t any milder on the skin, just more nimble in terms of handling? This is what I would logically expect of the same razor with the same geometry but different material. This is contrary to many peoples opinion that the Ti is a smoother, milder shaver.

I believe this as well. The same razor head design, with the same geometry should have the same shave characteristics (mild, aggressive, etc) regardless of the metal. I resisted the call of the Ti Bird for many years, even though lots of people I respect on here have told me over and over again how much better it was than the other metals. I finally gave in and bought one, which arrived last week. I am only a couple of shave in. But I can tell you that without any doubt, the Ti Bird feels smoother and milder, yet offers a more efficient shave result.

Do I think this is a result of the Titanium imparting some sort of magic on the blade? Do I think the Titanium has changed the dynamics or the razor, or how it holds the blade? Absolutely no. But what I do firmly believe is that the increased nimbleness and maneuverability of this Ti Bird imparts the perception that it is milder and smoother, and provides a better shave as a result. This is the same effect as when someone's technique improves over time. Their shaves get better and closer with the same gear. This is just a more dramatic timeline. I went from a Brassbird directly to a Ti Bird and could feel the difference immediately.

But I must say this... I much prefer heavier razors. The Ti Bird will not knock my Blackland Tradere OC, Wolfman and Charcoal goods off their throne any time soon. Or ever. For me shaving is about much more than getting a close shave. Its about enjoyment. Its about my moment of Zen in the morning. And for that to happen, I need to use a razor that I thoroughly enjoy using. And I enjoy big chunky heavy razors. But this Ti Bird is a treat, and will stay around my den. At least for now.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I believe this as well. The same razor head design, with the same geometry should have the same shave characteristics (mild, aggressive, etc) regardless of the metal. I resisted the call of the Ti Bird for many years, even though lots of people I respect on here have told me over and over again how much better it was than the other metals. I finally gave in and bought one, which arrived last week. I am only a couple of shave in. But I can tell you that without any doubt, the Ti Bird feels smoother and milder, yet offers a more efficient shave result.

Do I think this is a result of the Titanium imparting some sort of magic on the blade? Do I think the Titanium has changed the dynamics or the razor, or how it holds the blade? Absolutely no. But what I do firmly believe is that the increased nimbleness and maneuverability of this Ti Bird imparts the perception that it is milder and smoother, and provides a better shave as a result. This is the same effect as when someone's technique improves over time. Their shaves get better and closer with the same gear. This is just a more dramatic timeline. I went from a Brassbird directly to a Ti Bird and could feel the difference immediately.

But I must say this... I much prefer heavier razors. The Ti Bird will not knock my Blackland Tradere OC, Wolfman and Charcoal goods off their throne any time soon. Or ever. For me shaving is about much more than getting a close shave. Its about enjoyment. Its about my moment of Zen in the morning. And for that to happen, I need to use a razor that I thoroughly enjoy using. And I enjoy big chunky heavy razors. But this Ti Bird is a treat, and will stay around my den. At least for now.
Brad, you need to get a Sailor — big, heavy and efficient.

I would agree with both of these conclusions.

I believe another explanation from Blackland is that the lighter weight causes less pressure to be used resulting in a smoother shave. To me that is just another way of saying more nimble.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Weight was one factor. I find the Ti Blackbird to be more nimble and maneuverable - attributes that I value highly. :)
Extremely nimble, absolutely agree. :)

Softer feel - The Ti does feel softer and warmer to me. Something about the heat transfer characteristics of Titanium?
The Ti Blackbird is as efficient as the Brass and Stainless versions - they have the same geometry. The Ti Blackbird does have better face feel - to me, at least. That, plus the higher nimble & maneuverable score, elevate the Ti Blackbird over the other versions to my Alpha Big Dog DE Razor status.

I finally gave in and bought one, which arrived last week. I am only a couple of shave in. But I can tell you that without any doubt, the Ti Bird feels smoother and milder, yet offers a more efficient shave result.
As usual, we are in agreement. :)

I used to love heavier razors, and still do on occasion.

Due to the nerve damage in my neck., medium weight and more nimble razors now give me more overall shaving satisfaction.

I believe another explanation from Blackland is that the lighter weight causes less pressure to be used resulting in a smoother shave. To me that is just another way of saying more nimble.

With both the Ti Blackbird and the Vectors (Ti and Stainless), I use an appropriate and judicious amount of pressure. Wonderful results with no irritation or blood. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Very cool man. Didn’t say I didn’t like it. It was just a bit more harsh than in other razors where the Wizzie is smooth as silk. The Blackbird and the Wolfs are the only razors I own where the wizzies aren’t awesome. I find other blades like the Brit London Bridge are working better in the Ti Bird so far. The Perma Sharp in the gold box is just aces in the Wolfs for me.

I did notice you recommending the Perma Sharps for the Wolfman, so I tried them before. I thought they were very good as well.
Perma-Sharp or Feather in my Ti Blackbird and WR2 1.25 SB. :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Blackland Brotherhood
20221117_134721~2.jpg

Razor: @Blackland Razors Ti Blackbird (@Rosseforp GTC 25g Handle)
Blade: Perma-Sharp (2)
Brush: Shavemac Butterscotch Beagle (Shavemac 22mm 2-Band Silvertip Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Tallow + Steel West Indies
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum
Fragrance: Belcam Bold Tobacco EdT Spray

Superb razor! :cool:
20221117_134759~2.jpg

Notes from today's shave: Post in thread 'never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge' never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-12015506

Top Bottom