What's new

I Just Ordered A Blackland Osprey Razor! ( My First Blackland Razor! )

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
Covering this in a video this week. Keep an eye out on Weds/Thurs.

The short answer is that we like the finish and chose it. That may or may not have been the right call (as I’ll discuss in-video), but it was intentional. Additional finishes are in development now.
Is the process of releasing the finishes in stages to eliminate the variables if a potential issue crops up?

Inquiring minds would like to know what these weaknesses were in your opinion... The first sign of weakness for me in the video was the title and that the video was made by a competitor!!

For as long as you've been on the forum now and as active as you'd been lately I find this pretty amazing... It's been one of the hottest topics for months now on B&B.
Weakness in not giving the razor a fair chance on the lower settings. If I use lower settings, I have to make more passes. Matt did not do that, and seemed like a speedy decision on his part not to try a few more strokes.

Inquiring minds would like to know what these weaknesses were in your opinion... The first sign of weakness for me in the video was the title and that the video was made by a competitor!!

For as long as you've been on the forum now and as active as you'd been lately I find this pretty amazing... It's been one of the hottest topics for months now on B&B.
Guess I've been focused on the vintage stuff, I know there is a host of new products coming out but still, I'm kinda stuck on vintage razors and being a vintage shaver myself. I only recently became interested in the new Adjustables and I thought the Rex Ambassador was about it for this class of razor. Shows how little I know really.

Is the process of releasing the finishes in stages to eliminate the variables if a potential issue crops up?

That's one of the benefits. The other is that it lets us focus on one thing at a time. The Osprey is our most complex razor that we've ever produced. So the QC and assembly processes are relatively complicated (compared to a normal three-piece razor) and we wanted to really nail that down first before complicating it with polishing. We've never had a product that requires these procedures so I wanted to be conservative and make sure we can get it right with one SKU before we start adding. We probably could've handled the polished finish at launch, but I'd rather err on the safe side.

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
That's one of the benefits. The other is that it lets us focus on one thing at a time. The Osprey is our most complex razor that we've ever produced. So the QC and assembly processes are relatively complicated (compared to a normal three-piece razor) and we wanted to really nail that down first before complicating it with polishing. We've never had a product that requires these procedures so I wanted to be conservative and make sure we can get it right with one SKU before we start adding. We probably could've handled the polished finish at launch, but I'd rather err on the safe side.

My Vector SS (satin) showed up today - BEAUTIFUL. Posted my hot take here if you're interested in yet more positive feelings about it.

Cliff's notes: this thing is the Techart 911S of razors!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand

Thank you so much Shane at @Blackland Razors for updating us, on how the release of the Osprey went. I want to personally thank you, for your honesty, in admitting what mistakes you made, as well as, what successes you made. I 100% agree, that not getting the Osprey in the hands of folks who wear glasses, as well as older folks with vision problems, was indeed a mistake. But the good news is, you know this going forward, and you won't make that mistake again, good deal!

I appreciate that you are already on the way to solving this problem, by polishing the adjustment knob ring, so as to have the contrast between the polish surround, and the matt numbers, this does make sense to me. I am happy to also here, that you will have a polished finish coming in a couple months, as well as, a Satin finish in the future. And I completely understand why you are pushing back the Titanium versions into the future, so as to allow you to fulfill, the current stainless order quantities purchased.

I agree with your production choices thus far. I did read the posts about the look of the top cap, I personally don't have an issue with it, but I realize that some did, and I agree, a polished finish will correct that for those who don't like, the machined finish. I also read the posts about the handle grooves feeling a bit sharp for some. While I do know what they mean, because I've personally used my Osprey, I don't really have a problem with it, and I think the machined finish, combined with the grooves, is fine.

I think you might run into a problem though, once you make a polished version of the razor handle, you won't have the machined grooves grip anymore, and if you round off those groove edges, your going to lose even more grip. We don't want to run into the issue that the Merkur Futur has, where the handle is so smooth, that with soapy fingers, the Futur gives you the slip every time. When you come out with the polished finish, you will have to find a way, to insure positive grip.

The way that I have seen other brands handle that, is with handle knurling. Yes, I already know Shane, that knurling is not Blackland Razors MO, I totally get that. I am just shooting ideas out there, trying to help you to figure out a problem early, before it crops up on ya. These are the sorts of issues one runs into, when it comes to design and finishes. But your an amazing razor manufacturer, I know in my heart, that you will figure it out.

Thanks again for your update, it is much appreciated by me, and I can't wait to see more!

SWCT is a happy Osprey owner
proxy.php

😍

I think you might run into a problem though, once you make a polished version of the razor handle, you won't have the machined grooves grip anymore, and if you round off those groove edges, your going to lose even more grip. We don't want to run into the issue that the Merkur Futur has, where the handle is so smooth, that with soapy fingers, the Futur gives you the slip every time. When you come out with the polished finish, you will have to find a way, to insure positive grip.

The way that I have seen other brands handle that, is with handle knurling. Yes, I already know Shane, that knurling is not Blackland Razors MO, I totally get that. I am just shooting ideas out there, trying to help you to figure out a problem early, before it crops up on ya. These are the sorts of issues one runs into, when it comes to design and finishes. But your an amazing razor manufacturer, I know in my heart, that you will figure it out.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Maintaining grip while polishing is definitely a challenge, but it's important to note that polishing isn't binary. We can dial the polishing up or down to meet our goals. We're working with the Osprey on polishing the handle just enough to provide a good polished aesthetic without greatly sacrificing grip. We do a similar thing with the Blackbird handle. Of course, any polishing will reduce grip so it's about finding that compromise and walking a fine line. It's doable. But people who like the feeling a razor glued to their hands will always want to choose non-polished finishes.

Other brands do knurling. Blackland doesn't. But our sister brand Above the Tie will have knurling. It won't help with the Osprey, but at least there will be a place to send our customers who like a knurled handle.

lasta

Blade Biter

Maintaining grip while polishing is definitely a challenge, but it's important to note that polishing isn't binary. We can dial the polishing up or down to meet our goals. We're working with the Osprey on polishing the handle just enough to provide enough of the polished aesthetic without greatly sacrificing grip. We do a similar thing with the Blackbird handle. Of course, any polishing will reduce grip so it's about finding that compromise and walking a fine line. It's doable. But people who like the feeling a razor glued to their hands will always want to choose non-polished finishes.

Other brands do knurling. Blackland doesn't. But our sister brand Above the Tie will have knurling. It won't help with the Osprey, but at least there will be a place to send our customers who like a knurled handle.
Grip is overrated, shine is everything!

Maintaining grip while polishing is definitely a challenge, but it's important to note that polishing isn't binary. We can dial the polishing up or down to meet our goals. We're working with the Osprey on polishing the handle just enough to provide a good polished aesthetic without greatly sacrificing grip. We do a similar thing with the Blackbird handle. Of course, any polishing will reduce grip so it's about finding that compromise and walking a fine line. It's doable. But people who like the feeling a razor glued to their hands will always want to choose non-polished finishes.

I'd like to sign up to be an Osprey beta tester. :biggrin1:

I really enjoyed the postmortem video. Very insightful and sincere.

Maintaining grip while polishing is definitely a challenge, but it's important to note that polishing isn't binary. We can dial the polishing up or down to meet our goals. We're working with the Osprey on polishing the handle just enough to provide a good polished aesthetic without greatly sacrificing grip.
Why don't you just polish the pieces that need polishing and leave the machine finish on the pieces that need the "machine finish". Then look at the rest of the razor and make a decision on the aesthetics on them.
Afterall its a tool - make it functional.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Polished Osprey released. Tempted but Sabre v2 is my next.

Yep, we've been talking about it in the Blackland Brotherhood thread, in regards to price.

Reality is, I just bought the machines version for 350, I am not about to go out and spend another 415 for the polished version, especially since I just had to buy a new pair of high end headphones, which have set me back considerably. If other's were getting into their first Blackland adjustable, it would make more sense for them, to jump right into the polished version.

Still loving my Blackland Osprey folks, even though its the machined version. I'd be interested to hear people's reports on the polished version though, in regards to handle grip, cause as we all know, polish tends to make things more slippery when it comes to razors, unless there is knurling on the handles. So, yeah, exciting time, who will buy it, and what will they think of it?

I have all 3 available Rex's and most of Blackland's razors, minus the Blackbird lite plus many others. I have been getting amazing shaves from the Osprey. The blade clamping on the Osprey is only matched by my Tatara Muramasa, both are clamped full length of the cutting edge, top AND bottom. All 3 Rex's just push the blade down from the top and are supported on the bottom way behind the edge of the blade. I can feel zero blade chatter on the Osprey/Muramasa but can feel some on the 3 Rex's depending on the blade I use. That said I get nice shaves from the Rex's as well and will definitely keep using them, but they are not as smooth as shaves from the Osprey or Muramasa. I will probably also buy Rex's upcoming slant, the Sentry? just to see if i enjoy it as much as I do the other Rex's.

The outcome of Pisarcik's review was a given and deliberate. I remember laughing to myself when within a couple hours of getting Blackland's email announcing the Osprey, I also got an email from Rex touting their razors.

I don't think you can make a wrong decision buying the Osprey or any of the Rex's (or the Tataras). All are fantastic razors and will serve you and your kids well nearly forever.

Terrible hand held photos using comp screen as backlight but you get the idea of how they clamp

Rex Ambassador
View attachment 1747600

Tatara Muramasa
View attachment 1747599

Blackland Osprey
View attachment 1747598
Hey there! If a complete stranger asked you to make a recommendation between the Tatara Muramasa and the Blackland Osprey, and this stranger gave you zero indication of their preferences in shaving experience, how would you answer? Thanks ;)

Hey there! If a complete stranger asked you to make a recommendation between the Tatara Muramasa and the Blackland Osprey, and this stranger gave you zero indication of their preferences in shaving experience, how would you answer? Thanks ;)
Get both. Use the Tatara first then the Osprey. You have 15 days to return the Tatara and 30 days for the Osprey.

Get both. Use the Tatara first then the Osprey. You have 15 days to return the Tatara and 30 days for the Osprey.
My only complaint with the Osprey really is I prefer short handles. The handle length on the Osprey isn't a dealbreaker and with the removable handle, they have the option of making a shorter version and if they do, I will buy it.

The Muramasa, for me, is perfect as it is.

Both razors have perfect clamping top AND bottom of the blade, zero blade chatter. Both razors go from very mild to very aggressive. The finishes are starkly different but I like both.

With zero indication of someones preferences, I'd point them to the Muramasa. If I had the opportunity to inquire a few things, it would be what handle length they preferred. I am a fan of both Tatara and Blackland and have all of their offerings in one metal/finish form or other.

While buying with the intention of returning seems disingenuous to me, it is something they offer and would be one way to go about it.

I know I need another razor like I need a whole in my head. But I have really fallen in love with hand made in the USA razors, and I felt it was time to get my 4th adjustable razor. I've known about Blackland for awhile now, most folks purchase their Blackbird Titanium, or Stainless Steel models. Can I just say, so many of you folks, post such breathtaking photo's, of your Blackbirds. 😊 At first I was looking at the Blackbird models, and I was having difficulty deciding, on which one to buy.

I contacted both a buddy of mine, as well as Blackland themselves, asking for assistance. Unfortunately, by the time I figured out what I had wanted, the razor was out of stock. 🤯 I own 3 adjustables so far, a Merkur Futur, Rex Ambassador, & Gillette Fatboy, so I know how handy they are, for adjusting the shave aggression, as needed. So, with much deliberation with the black hole that encompasses my mind, I decided to just order the Blackland Osprey and be done with it. I got a 10% off discount with free shipping.

Now, those of you who actually know me, will know that I adjust the aggression, for each pass of the shave. Yes, I actually use them as adjustables, I don't just set them and forget. Here's a great video from BlackLand bellow, that shows how to use these razors. Its quite informative, and if your thinking about buying one of these, I suggest that you watch it...

Another thing that boosted my interest in Blackland is, I saw their post on B&B, where they talked about how they acquired ATT, and will be keeping the dream alive. And then I read how Blackland became a company, out of inspiration of, seeing the wonderful things that ATT had done, not just with fine products, but with top shelf customer support, as the primary focus of the company. I found it to be an amazing gesture, and it pretty much concreted my decision to go with Blackland Razors.

I can't wait till the razor gets here, ohhhhhh, how waiting is the hardest part. But good things come to he who waits!
That is a work of art! Perhaps I will justify the price in the future as my skills progress.

My only complaint with the Osprey really is I prefer short handles. The handle length on the Osprey isn't a dealbreaker and with the removable handle, they have the option of making a shorter version and if they do, I will buy it.

The Muramasa, for me, is perfect as it is.

Both razors have perfect clamping top AND bottom of the blade, zero blade chatter. Both razors go from very mild to very aggressive. The finishes are starkly different but I like both.

With zero indication of someones preferences, I'd point them to the Muramasa. If I had the opportunity to inquire a few things, it would be what handle length they preferred. I am a fan of both Tatara and Blackland and have all of their offerings in one metal/finish form or other.

While buying with the intention of returning seems disingenuous to me, it is something they offer and would be one way to go about it.
Thanks very much for your thoughts. After reviewing the prices of the Muramasa and Osprey I find myself doubting my commitment to this enterprise.... I'm now considering the Nodachi and the Blackbird. Would you mind sharing your experiences with those razors?

In Rockwell terms I'm sitting on plate 5 or 6 depending on how I'm feeling. I find the gap feels great around 5 but I end up shaving with the 6 mostly because I'm searching for more blade feel, not a wider gap, if that makes sense. That said I fear the Nodachi might be too wild for me with an even wider gap, but it still offers the opportunity to step back the aggression with the purchase of additional plates.

On the other hand I love the idea of the Blackbird, greater efficiency through more blade exposure, not gap... that resinates with me though I do wonder if there is enough gap! But people seem to love this razor and I've never heard anyone complain that it didn't have enough gap.

Thanks!

Thanks very much for your thoughts. After reviewing the prices of the Muramasa and Osprey I find myself doubting my commitment to this enterprise.... I'm now considering the Nodachi and the Blackbird. Would you mind sharing your experiences with those razors?

In Rockwell terms I'm sitting on plate 5 or 6 depending on how I'm feeling. I find the gap feels great around 5 but I end up shaving with the 6 mostly because I'm searching for more blade feel, not a wider gap, if that makes sense. That said I fear the Nodachi might be too wild for me with an even wider gap, but it still offers the opportunity to step back the aggression with the purchase of additional plates.

On the other hand I love the idea of the Blackbird, greater efficiency through more blade exposure, not gap... that resinates with me though I do wonder if there is enough gap! But people seem to love this razor and I've never heard anyone complain that it didn't have enough gap.

Thanks!
I have both the Nodachi plates (SB and OC) and both Blackbird plates (std in Ti and lite in SS). Both the Nodachi and Std Blackbird are more blade "feely" than the 6 plate. The Blackbird Ti could be an only razor for me. I do focus on shaving when using it unlike my Overlanders that I use on autopilot. As I'm sure you've picked up on, I tend to be a bit fickle on razors. I have razors all over the spectrum and happy with most of them with the exception of the Rex's (I have all 4). Different razors give a varied feel and I like the "new" shave experience when I swap razors.

If you are a daily or every other day shaver, the solid bar in either is ideal. If you go a few days at a time the OC lets you get a tiny bit closer and are more efficient on the first pass for me.

I am so thoroughly impressed with Blackland I have one version or another of everything they make.

Thanks!

Based on your answer here I think you're the perfect candidate for the Blackbird. You'd also enjoy the Nodachi because it's a great razor, but your desire for more blade feel is what the Blackbird is all about. We balance that high exposure with a small gap to reduce the risk of nicks and cuts without reducing efficiency. I can promise you won't have any trouble moving down thick growth with the Blackbird.

That said, we're Tatara fans so I'm confident that you can't go wrong here.

Top Bottom