What's new

I Just Ordered A Blackland Osprey Razor! ( My First Blackland Razor! )

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Screenshot from 2023-10-11 21-59-51.png

I know I need another razor like I need a whole in my head. But I have really fallen in love with hand made in the USA razors, and I felt it was time to get my 4th adjustable razor. I've known about Blackland for awhile now, most folks purchase their Blackbird Titanium, or Stainless Steel models. Can I just say, so many of you folks, post such breathtaking photo's, of your Blackbirds. 😊 At first I was looking at the Blackbird models, and I was having difficulty deciding, on which one to buy.

I contacted both a buddy of mine, as well as Blackland themselves, asking for assistance. Unfortunately, by the time I figured out what I had wanted, the razor was out of stock. 🤯 I own 3 adjustables so far, a Merkur Futur, Rex Ambassador, & Gillette Fatboy, so I know how handy they are, for adjusting the shave aggression, as needed. So, with much deliberation with the black hole that encompasses my mind, I decided to just order the Blackland Osprey and be done with it. I got a 10% off discount with free shipping.

Now, those of you who actually know me, will know that I adjust the aggression, for each pass of the shave. Yes, I actually use them as adjustables, I don't just set them and forget. Here's a great video from BlackLand bellow, that shows how to use these razors. Its quite informative, and if your thinking about buying one of these, I suggest that you watch it...

Another thing that boosted my interest in Blackland is, I saw their post on B&B, where they talked about how they acquired ATT, and will be keeping the dream alive. And then I read how Blackland became a company, out of inspiration of, seeing the wonderful things that ATT had done, not just with fine products, but with top shelf customer support, as the primary focus of the company. I found it to be an amazing gesture, and it pretty much concreted my decision to go with Blackland Razors.

I can't wait till the razor gets here, ohhhhhh, how waiting is the hardest part. But good things come to he who waits!

I know I need another razor like I need a whole in my head. But I have really fallen in love with hand made in the USA razors, and I felt it was time to get my 4th adjustable razor. I've known about Blackland for awhile now, most folks purchase their Blackbird Titanium, or Stainless Steel models. Can I just say, so many of you folks, post such breathtaking photo's, of your Blackbirds. 😊 At first I was looking at the Blackbird models, and I was having difficulty deciding, on which one to buy.

I contacted both a buddy of mine, as well as Blackland themselves, asking for assistance. Unfortunately, by the time I figured out what I had wanted, the razor was out of stock. 🤯 I own 3 adjustables so far, a Merkur Futur, Rex Ambassador, & Gillette Fatboy, so I know how handy they are, for adjusting the shave aggression, as needed. So, with much deliberation with the black hole that encompasses my mind, I decided to just order the Blackland Osprey and be done with it. I got a 10% off discount with free shipping.

Now, those of you who actually know me, will know that I adjust the aggression, for each pass of the shave. Yes, I actually use them as adjustables, I don't just set them and forget. Here's a great video from BlackLand bellow, that shows how to use these razors. Its quite informative, and if your thinking about buying one of these, I suggest that you watch it...

Another thing that boosted my interest in Blackland is, I saw their post on B&B, where they talked about how they acquired ATT, and will be keeping the dream alive. And then I read how Blackland became a company, out of inspiration of, seeing the wonderful things that ATT had done, not just with fine products, but with top shelf customer support, as the primary focus of the company. I found it to be an amazing gesture, and it pretty much concreted my decision to go with Blackland Razors.

I can't wait till the razor gets here, ohhhhhh, how waiting is the hardest part. But good things come to he who waits!
Why is this blocked person still showing on my news feed? LoL!

Congrats Chris, hope you enjoy it! if not, do consider the BB, its amazing!

I must tell you I do have a blackland item I was PIFed a BLACKLAND

Sticker.

IMG_20231011_234236_143.jpg

I confess that I'm very tempted with the Osprey even costing US$400 (yeah, I want the base too!)... But then I remind that living in Brazil the final price (with the abusive taxes) will approach US$1000. Damn! I need to find a friend living in US and that someday come visit Brazil... :sob:

I’m very jealous! But also very, very happy for you! Of course I’m looking forward to your complete review of the razor 😁! Enjoy!

I expect you’ll love it. The comparisons to the Era with its fantastic blade clamping/rigidity are very tempting to me, but I’m going to pass for now. I already have the Era with several plates covering the range I prefer. I’ve shifted my focus to the Vector as I’ve recently become enamored with the AC format and it truly seems to the pinnacle in that area.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Woo hoo! I hope the anticipation doesn't keep you up all night lol.

Thank you so much, WOOHOO indeed! :thumbup: Funny you mentioned that though, I did have a hard time going to sleep last night, I think it took me an hour to fall asleep. My mind was going around in circles, dreaming of the day, when that delicious Osprey bird is in my hands, to caress its fine details, to admire its sweet undercarriage, and to dream of having a smooth shave with it, while playing with the knob, to achieve supreme shaving success.

Excited Season 3 GIF by The Simpsons

Just perfect, this is going to really fit you well. Then you can buy a Blackbird later. :devil:

Good to see you Homer, rooting for me and all. I can always count on you, to congratulate me with style! I always appreciate adjustables, and they always seem to work for me. The only time when they don't, is if I set them too aggressive, and they nick me good, to remind me I am not Superman. HAHA! Look at you trying to enable me though, to buy a Blackbird later HAHA! Its my philosophy, once someone has an adjustable, you don't need more. Then, I shortly break my own philosophy, while buying more DE razors later LMAO! :lol:

Why is this blocked person still showing on my news feed? LoL!

Congrats Chris, hope you enjoy it! if not, do consider the BB, its amazing!

I must tell you I do have a blackland item I was PIFed a BLACKLAND

Sticker.

View attachment 1731475

One of the things I've always liked about you, is your passion for Star Wars, representing loud and proud, with your awesome stickers! I love baby Yoda in the Mandalorian. Great placement sir! And then I saw your Blackland sticker, and I was like, way to represent! WOOT :thumbup: WOOT :thumbup: WOOT :thumbup:Thanks so much buddy, I appreciate it always! 😁

Be careful, they are like Lays potato chips. Betcha can’t buy just one….

I thought that was more like Pringles, once you pop, you can't stop. Imagine if that was a slogan for a dating site? :lol:

Unless you have self control, and Lay Chips are not anything special, my go to is Trader Joes, or Granny Goose Hawaiian style.

My self control lasted for 1-year having my RAD under control, I basically self-restrained without joining a restraint group. But on the DOT of that 1-year passing, I left my self-restraint, and made purchases in B&B style of self expression, burning my wallet on fire, to buy more stuff HAHA. 😂

Unless you have self control, and Lay Chips are not anything special, my go to is Trader Joes, or Granny Goose Hawaiian style.

I personally love hot stuff, so I like to eat jalapeno potato chips, and habanero chips, they are so good! 😋

I went in on the Blackland Sabre, easily the best modern GEM style razor on the market. I really want the Osprey but am having a difficult time justifying it at this time.

Yeah, I never got into GEM razors, style is not really for me. But I did notice that Blackland had a modern take on the GEM razor, which is good. Cause you know how it is with razors that are popular and vintage, prices are high on them. I mean, look at an excellent condition Gillette Toggle razor, unless you have 1500 to 2000 buckaroos, you aint securing one of those, and nobody is going to give up their Toggle on the cheap. So its good to have modern take offerings, for a more realistic price. ;) I am also glad that you like your Blackland Sabre. 😊

I confess that I'm very tempted with the Osprey even costing US$400 (yeah, I want the base too!)... But then I remind that living in Brazil the final price (with the abusive taxes) will approach US$1000. Damn! I need to find a friend living in US and that someday come visit Brazil... :sob:

I appreciate your Convencional confessional. 😝 You should be tempted by the Osprey, I'd be worried about you if you weren't HEHE. Maybe listing prices are different from where you specifically are. But the price on the site right now, is 350 buckaroo's. Add a new member 10% discount, which is 35 buckaroo's off, your now at 315 buckaroos. Now, as far as overseas shipping is concerned, I have nothing good to say about that, as it appears it has always been a mess for several countries, where the government wants to take a steep tax on it. I'ts most certainly wrong, but Brazil is not my country, so my opinion is meaningless. I hope you find a way to get this awesome razor! :thumbup1:

I’m very jealous! But also very, very happy for you! Of course I’m looking forward to your complete review of the razor 😁! Enjoy!

Its great to see you HabanaRon! You and I are Timeless buddies. But, if you get an Osprey, we will be Blackland buddies too. 😁 Thank you so much! You know me, I always make them detailed reviews, even if it kills me HAHA! 😂

Nice....welcome to the Blackland Owners Group. It's a mighty fine place to be.

Enjoy.

Thank you so much for the welcome! I am happy to call myself a Blackland brother now, there's no finer company out there, to appreciate with all of ones heart, and pocket book. 😝

Congratulations, Chris. I’m still Blackland-less, but the Osprey looks like a beautiful piece of engineering. I’m sure you’ll love it.

Thank you so much Kim, I am so grateful that you found your way here to congratulate me! But were going to have to correct this Blackland-less business, cause thats just not right. Blackland has several razors to choose from. If you don't want to spend too much, they have aluminum offerings for an excellent price, which I am sure you will agree. Or, you could go stainless steel, or titanium. Either way, there is something for everybody on Blackland, and you would do me quite an honor, to call you a Blackland brother. So lets get on it, the train is not going to wait, chop chop, all aboard, TUTE TUTE, lets go! Chugga chugga, chugga chugga, Blackland razor purchased, Cha-Ching, wallet erups into fire, and now your one of us. HAHA yessir! 😁

What is the finance rate?

View attachment 1731683

The site obviously offers financing yes, but I didn't go through the sites financing. I went through another form of credit, and I won't be more specific then that, as I consider my financing options private.

Adding because it is certainly a pricey investment>
View attachment 1731811

Hey, somebody has a beer gut there, what an accomplishment. Maybe, a few too many jello shots being eatin. You can tell he's got his arms crossed, with sort of a pro stance, trying to act like a stud muffin. But put a real body builder right next to him, and he's gonna look as silly as a turkey in a hen house. :lol:

I know the Osprey was named after the military aircraft but this is what I think of when I see "Osprey" in print:

View attachment 1731821

I agree Kim 100%! The Osprey plane, was named after this bird. Don't you just see how magnificent this bird is? I think its practically as beautiful as our countries bald eagle. Thanks for sharing! 😍

I expect you’ll love it. The comparisons to the Era with its fantastic blade clamping/rigidity are very tempting to me, but I’m going to pass for now. I already have the Era with several plates covering the range I prefer. I’ve shifted my focus to the Vector as I’ve recently become enamored with the AC format and it truly seems to the pinnacle in that area.

I expect that I will love it too Rudygu! Yes, I just recently learned of its superior blade clamping, in comparison to most razors, that only clamp in the middle, with uneven pressure. Whats this I hear, your going to pass for now? Let me open a window, to let out the gas. :letterk1: Come on dude, this is B&B, you will honor us with your purchase. You have to maintain your expenditure principles. All self respecting B&B'rs spend their money, because when we don't, we die inside, and thats not a good feeling. Ohhhhh, your a single edged razor fan, of the AC variety, thats an more expensive venture to get into, a dollar a blade my friend. Still cheaper then carts I suppose, but man, you got to get an Osprey, as I think its probably the pinnacle of adjustable razors.

I'm about to watch a series of video's, which I will post here on my next post. Its taken me a long time to get back to everybody, but I appreciate all those who have posted here, and giving me your outstanding support. I love this B&B family, and I don't take it for granted. You are all awesome! 😊

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

OK, as some of you folks know, I am a little late to the party. There has been an ongoing Blackland Adjustable thread, on the DE forum for quite awhile now, and it literally dates back, to the very beginning, of the creation of, this Osprey razor. Your not going to find many companies, that will share the build process. So I consider these video's a real treat. For those who have not see them yet, you can watch them with me.

Building a New Blackland Razor Part 1

I highly respect the fact that Blackland wanted to reduce the weight of the head, I totally agree, the times of sledge hammer heads that weigh as much as a chunk of iron is over. Its time to make them slimmer, and have a nice even balanced weight, between the head and handle. I also respect the fact that he wanted to keep costs down, excellent!

Building a New Blackland Razor Part 2

WOW, to say that I am impressed, would certainly be an understatement. My mind is truly blown away, that he took us into the machining engineering house, and we got to be present, during the deciding process, on the base plate and cap design process. I really wasn't expecting that from this series. Oh my gosh, I can feel my heart right now, its beating faster and warmer for the Osprey then ever before!

I do agree, the wobble issue most certainly needed to be addressed. I also see the issue with the adjustment knob being too small, at that point in production. That also needed to be addressed. I am so glad that Blackland was taking feedback from the community. Shane is so cool! Also, being easier to clean, and easier to disassemble, I can agree with that as well.

Building a New Blackland Razor Part 3

WOW, a late congratulations to @Blackland Razors Shane, for his first born child, your a father now Shane! 😎

I also agree with Shane, its better to buy an adjustable razor, that you know will work for you, because you can make it work for you through adjustment. Where as with his normal razor, with so many options and base plates, its super confusing. Case in point, it was confusing for me, so much that I had to contact two different people, to figure out what might work best for me.

I really love that indicator arrow, and how it rests above the knob, such a nice design! I love how he refined the skeleton of the head some more. Refinement alone, is a good reason to pay a good amount of money for a razor, when one is looking for tight tolerances as well.

Building a New Blackland Razor Part 4

There we go, now were figuring out the adjustment knob, increased in size, so my big fingers can work it, yessir! I also find using a wave spring in the knob is an interesting design choice, as it allows the head to be a thinner depth in design, I like that. I also agree with getting the tension right. Interesting that the knobs use course threads too.

Building a New Blackland Razor Part 5

I got to be honest, I originally purchased my Merkur Future, because it looked futuristic, and I wanted an adjustable, that looked like a razor from Star Trek. Having said that however, looking at the handle design, and overall razor design of, the Osprey, this my friends, is your REAL Star Trek razor. Welcome, to the 24th century lol.

With that awesome brass insert in the handle, with the cut out slots, that expose the view of the brass insert, it kind of looks like a warp core. I absolutely love it! I also love how Shane makes certain decisions, based on things he discovers in life, that he's been inspired by. Tune based dampeners in buildings, now that is really cool technology as well!

DUDE! I am so impressed with the fine detail, in how he figured out, how to stop the handle from rotating, the adjustment knob! Changing the handle to only make connection, at the center of the contact patch, preventing the adjustment from moving, that is genius! I also appreciate the refined polishing work on the razor too.

Building a New Blackland Razor Part 6
Building a New Blackland Razor: Part 6 - https://youtu.be/UILcTKPrUYM

WOW, I didn't know that the O-ring was going to create such a serious issue, thats not good. I am so glad that your product testers, spotted the adjustment inconsistency, caused by that 0-ring. I totally understand why Shane wanted to use it, in order to give the user, a more refined experience, while the razor was taken apart.

But, if it causes adjustment inconsistency, I agree about getting rid of it. Also, what a huge change to the thread count, pitch, and diameter, thats huge! I like the idea of superior threading, allowing for a tighter tolerance, to make sure that the blade alignment stays true, tight, and strong. Also, loved seeing the shave at the end with Shane. When the CEO shaves, its time to listen, and learn hehe.

Hey Shane, now you don't just have a product to be proud of, but now your looking clean cut after showing it off, and demonstrating its use. I like the way you do video's man! I can't wait till my razor gets here. Shane had shipped my razor out at 9AM this morning, he was on it like a BOSS! 😎

I went in on the Blackland Sabre, easily the best modern GEM style razor on the market. I really want the Osprey but am having a difficult time justifying it at this time.

One of the best in my line up of modern GEMs but not the top spot - maybe the updated version next year will change this.

Does anyone have the Osprey and the Sabre? Please try the Osprey handle with the Sabre head and report back.

Top Bottom