What's new

Badger & Blade Tea Pass

I'm entirely new to Pu-erh. I brew the stuff for quite awhile. Is that normal for you guys? I've tried infusions of 3g/6oz brewed at intervals between 2 minutes all the way up to 30+ minutes for > 4th or 5th infusions. Honestly, I've liked them all, strong or weak. And I haven't messed with H20 temp. I usually pour the water over the Pu a minute or so after a rolling boil. I'm used to drinking Oolongs and various loose teas, and I do vary the water temps according to what I'm brewing at the time. How's it work with Pu-erh? Any tips from you afficionados would be appreciated.

And thanks to Steve for starting this off. I'm enjoying it very much.

I use 6-7 grams in a 100ml gaiwan, and my infusions start at 10 seconds, going up in 5 second intervals. The water should be boiling.

Can't wait to see how you like them:001_smile.

Last edited:
I use a 12oz Tetsubin (enamel interior) for most of the tea I brew. I boil the water in a stainless kettle, and I do multiple 6oz infusions over the course of an evening. I'm a coffee in the morning, tea at night, guy.

The reason I use a tetsubin is because I had always heard that yixing took care and maintenance and one should really have a yixing for each individual type of tea due to their ability to absorb oils. I'd love to do that, but I only have room for 1 tea pot in my small and over-gadgeted kitchen. I like the heat retention, and the look and heft of the little tetsubin, too. It's safe if I or my children ever knock it around.

I've read in multiple places that tetsubin are not for certain teas, but I believe that's only if you're using them unfinished (non-enamel) and as stovetop kettles. I get very good results for my taste buds with whatever tea I'm brewing in that little tetsubin as long as I'm aware of steep times and water temps.

Still, though, I'm wondering if 3g of pu-erh is too little and thus I am sort of forced to go with the longer steep times. I see that Joel uses quite a bit. I guess this is part of the fun of it. A little trial and error.

Last edited:
Bottom line: 3 grams is on the light side and is forcing you to some longer infusion times for the amount of water you are using. 5-7 grams per 100ml of water is a good starting point. Since they are not very expensive, you may want to consider getting a Gaiwan for your pu-erh.

So it seems that the box is on it's way to me next :biggrin: However, I am a bit of a tea n00b, which is why I joined the tea pass to begin with, I wanted to learn more about loose leaf tea. However, I am learning that brewing many of these teas requires a different process and different equipment. So my question is: Will I be ok brewing these tea using a regular cup/infuser combo or a tea for one se? I'm thinking so long as I use the write amount of tea/water and the right brewing times I should be able to get by. Even if it isn't ideal, I just want it to be good enough to get an idea of the different kinds of tea.

First, let me thank the fine gents who advised me on proportions and equipment!

Now, I'll say the box is packaged up, I just have to stop at the USPS sometime this afternoon and it'll be on its way to the Great White North!

Josh, one thing I read recently about the Pu-erhs especially, is that a small, ball type infuser is not the best way to go because it doesn't allow the leaves to open up very well, and it doesn't allow a nice flow of H2O around them. You might be better off steeping loose leaves and then pouring the tea through a mesh strainer into your cup.

Pretty much everyone on this thread is more qualified than I to advise here, so if I'm wrong someone please point us in the right direction.

Thanks.

The reason I use a tetsubin is because I had always heard that yixing took care and maintenance and one should really have a yixing for each individual type of tea due to their ability to absorb oils. I'd love to do that, but I only have room for 1 tea pot in my small and over-gadgeted kitchen. I like the heat retention, and the look and heft of the little tetsubin, too. It's safe if I or my children ever knock it around.

Have you seen how small yixing teapots are? You could fit about 4 into the same space as a regular teapot.

And they really don't take a lot of care at all.

My local asian grocery carries gaiwans for $4.00. The teashop in town sells the same ones for $11.00.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Have you seen how small yixing teapots are? You could fit about 4 into the same space as a regular teapot.

And they really don't take a lot of care at all.

Yep. Pretty much all you have to do is brew tea in them and rinse them out. I rinse them with boiling water so they dry quickly and thoroughly.

Yep. Pretty much all you have to do is brew tea in them and rinse them out. I rinse them with boiling water so they dry quickly and thoroughly.

What about all this talk of tea oils soaking into the clay and fouling the taste of other teas you might steep in the same pot? It's one of the reasons I went with a little enamel coated tetsubin style pot when I first started my closeted tea affair a while back.

What about all this talk of tea oils soaking into the clay and fouling the taste of other teas you might steep in the same pot? It's one of the reasons I went with a little enamel coated tetsubin style pot when I first started my closeted tea affair a while back.

That's part of the charm with those clay pots. Over time that is what improves of the sheng or shu that you brew in it. Many people keep a small selection of yixings for various types of puerh.

Glass and Porcelain are for tasting the tea at hand.

Yixings are for enjoying tea present and tea past.

It has finally arrived!

I got notified today when I got home from work that there is a package waiting for me at the post office. I wonder what it could be? I'll have to go pick it up tomorrow morning :biggrin:

Top Bottom