What's new

Badger & Blade Tea Pass

So where is the box now and when do I get it? :tongue_sm

I think I have just the thing for it....harvested spring of this year :rolleyes:

Regarding sending the package around again: Yup, that's what I am thinking. One of our military member in Afganistan has some local Afgani tea that he is sending to me for inclusion in the next round of the pass. That should be great!

BTW, fresh boxes are free at the post office if mailing via "Priority Mail" or "Flat rate." Sometimes they do not have them in stock but if they do, they are free.

We need to change up the order due to one individual's personal circumstances. Ouch is getting an owie taken care of and needs to be moved down the list. So, here is the new lineup:

P_K
Arghblech
Walter Sobchak
Joshua Da Silva
TacoBell
Ouch
_JP_

So, arghblech will be sending the box on to Walter next.

Anyone else care to join in the fun?

Cheers!

Yum! Taco sounds like a wonderful surprise.
BTW, where is the box of goodies residing currently?
I liked the recommendation posted previously; you may want to take a serving each of the teas that you are interested in sampling and put it in individual snack baggies. This allows the box to keep moving.

Yum! Taco sounds like a wonderful surprise.
BTW, where is the box of goodies residing currently?
I liked the recommendation posted previously; you may want to take a serving each of the teas that you are interested in sampling and put it in individual snack baggies. This allows the box to keep moving.

The blessed box is on the way to Walter Sobchak and should be landing any time now.

There are several oolongs and one white but mostly sheng and shu. I'm not sure how to classify liu bao but there is some of that too.

This sounds neat. Is it only pu'erh, though? I'm much more partial to blacks and oolongs.

Hang around us long enough and we will adjust that preference. Resistance is futile. Pu-erh is not really tea but an addictive substance that leaves you wanting to try more and more factories, recipes and vintages.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Pu-erh is not really tea but an addictive substance that leaves you wanting to try more and more factories, recipes and vintages.

For me, this is what seals the deal. Go to any site and buy just about any black or oolong. It doesn't matter what they say about it. They may describe it as "picked by virgins, using only their toes, off ancient trees on south facing slopes at an elevation of 17,000 feet on a Tuesday morning". It's going to come out of the same vat as their (or someone else's) imperial, select, premium, supreme, or extra grade. There is no provenance other than the very suspect word of the vendor. It is as if I were to sell you a bottle of red liquid and assure you that it is Ch. Petrus, 1961. I want a label and a cork.

How many times have you read a post saying "my favorite oolong was Annie's Select from a little shop I found in Toronto. Anyone familiar with it?" You'll never be able to find it, and the author will never be able to find it again (although you may indeed happen across the same tea under another name).

If you find that you enjoy an 8582 or a 7542, you'll know exactly how to identify it.

As I said - "this pass." I'll send it back to Steve for the next go around.

Yes indeed! Box will be making at least one more pass. Shoot, who knows how many more passes the box will make?
I am a bit surprised that we don't have any additional participants for the tea pass.

Last edited:
Yeah, let's have a report of what is in the box now.
Take some tea out and put it in snack bags, and then put some additional tea into the box. Don't worry about sampling everything. The box will make the rounds again.

cheers,
Steve

Tea Pass Update: I have the box now. I've weighed out a 3g sample of each of the teas I haven't tried in the week that I have had the box. I've added three teas from my limited stash that I enjoy. 1. 2008 Xue Feng Ti Kuan Yin, 2. 2009 Kao Shan Oolong, 3. 2009 Pearl Green that I bought bulk 1 lb. from a Chinese market recently.

I'm ready to ship the box out to the next guy on the list and I'll start posting comments as I try the teas. Hopefully, by the time it comes around again I'll have some nice stuff add from my bro in law who resides in China.

I've really enjoyed the two Pu-erhs that I've tried so far.

I'm entirely new to Pu-erh. I brew the stuff for quite awhile. Is that normal for you guys? I've tried infusions of 3g/6oz brewed at intervals between 2 minutes all the way up to 30+ minutes for > 4th or 5th infusions. Honestly, I've liked them all, strong or weak. And I haven't messed with H20 temp. I usually pour the water over the Pu a minute or so after a rolling boil. I'm used to drinking Oolongs and various loose teas, and I do vary the water temps according to what I'm brewing at the time. How's it work with Pu-erh? Any tips from you afficionados would be appreciated.

And thanks to Steve for starting this off. I'm enjoying it very much.

Top Bottom