What's new

Lambda Athena Cap and Baseplate Pass Around

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I looked it up. 320 euros is about 345 and I bet the next drop that price goes up even further. I make good money but I won’t pay that for a razor, sorry.
We probably all have a threshold we won’t exceed. I’m completely fine with that. For some people, it’s $25. For me, it’s a bit more than that. <eg>

That said, my razor purchases have slowed way down and are about to come to a halt. I’ve satisfied my curiosity. I know about some great razors that I’m not going to buy. Can you believe it???

I looked it up. 320 euros is about 345 and I bet the next drop that price goes up even further. I make good money but I won’t pay that for a razor, sorry.

I wonder what the titanium will come in at? Has Lambda ever offered titanium previously?

I think I'm on the waiting list for the SS Ares, but I'm happy with the bronze so I'll probably stick with it. I find it basically no extra work at all to keep the patina away. I take it apart, clean and dry it off and let it sit for awhile and put it away. Takes a few minutes. I do that with them all so no extra work. The bronze used seems less prone to patina than others and I like the lighter shade bronze. I'll consider buying the SS and selling the bronze but it's doubtful. There's lots of SS razor options around, less bronze. Ymmv.

I think I'm on the waiting list for the SS Ares, but I'm happy with the bronze so I'll probably stick with it. I find it basically no extra work at all to keep the patina away. I take it apart, clean and dry it off and let it sit for awhile and put it away. Takes a few minutes. I do that with them all so no extra work. The bronze used seems less prone to patina than others and I like the lighter shade bronze. I'll consider buying the SS and selling the bronze but it's doubtful. There's lots of SS razor options around, less bronze. Ymmv.
I have the bronze Ares and the SS Athena. Both are wonderful.

Mr. Shavington

Knows Hot Turkish Toilets
Great to see so many signing up for this passaround. It’s really kind of @Wgg2017 to take the time to organise this and donate the razor head. Whether you end up liking the razor or not, it’s great to get the chance to test it out, and this is a very different razor design from everything else on the market. I hope everyone on the list enjoys their time with it.

My suggestion is to use a neutral angle and listen for the loudest feedback - that’s where the efficiency really came out for me, though it was always a gentle, close shave at any angle. And if you don’t normally like to shave against the grain, perhaps try it again with the Athena and you may find it works for you even if other razors cause irritation.

Oh, and do run the head under the tap to rinse it so you get the pleasure of the water shooting from the side channels.

Have fun.

And if you don’t normally like to shave against the grain, perhaps try it again with the Athena and you may find it works for you even if other razors cause irritation.

I'd strongly encourage everyone to listen to Mr. Shavington's advice. He started the long and active Lambda Athena thread and has a great deal of experience with the razor.

@Mr. Shavington, were you the first on the board to have an Athena?

Who has the razor in possession presently? #2 on the list?

Yes @ewk has it. He confirmed receipt of it through a pm this afternoon. He has up to two weeks with it and then it will go to @shaveSymptomatic. If ewk is busy on a Saturday it's fine if the razor doesn't go out until Monday.

I'm excited to hear what everyone thinks of the razor. Enjoy!

Mr. Shavington

Knows Hot Turkish Toilets
@Mr. Shavington, were you the first on the board to have an Athena?
I very much doubt I was the first here to own the Athena. I missed the first batch of 50 razors as Lambda was almost unknown then and mainly sold within Greece (though there was talk about the drop on another forum and some of the members decided to get one, and they may also be members here). That first batch sold within 48 hours too. Mine is from the second batch (#076).

But I did notice there wasn’t a thread about the Athena here and I thought it was a razor everyone should know about. As it happens, that thread has become very long, with many owners contributing, and a lot of us ended up learning the details of this razor together, which I enjoyed tremendously because it’s an unusual design with a lot to discover if you wish to. I don’t think I’ve seen many dedicated razor model threads that have had such a high proportion of positive reviews, so there’s definitely something about this razor (though nothing suits everybody).

At this point there are many Athena experts here on B&B and I’m no more expert than any other. But I do remember how it was for me when I first tried it, and what I learned about it in the following months, so I try to point things out when it seems relevant.

I very much doubt I was the first here to own the Athena. I missed the first batch of 50 razors as Lambda was almost unknown then and mainly sold within Greece (though there was talk about the drop on another forum and some of the members decided to get one, and they may also be members here). That first batch sold within 48 hours too. Mine is from the second batch (#076).

But I did notice there wasn’t a thread about the Athena here and I thought it was a razor everyone should know about. As it happens, that thread has become very long, with many owners contributing, and a lot of us ended up learning the details of this razor together, which I enjoyed tremendously because it’s an unusual design with a lot to discover if you wish to. I don’t think I’ve seen many dedicated razor model threads that have had such a high proportion of positive reviews, so there’s definitely something about this razor (though nothing suits everybody).

At this point there are many Athena experts here on B&B and I’m no more expert than any other. But I do remember how it was for me when I first tried it, and what I learned about it in the following months, so I try to point things out when it seems relevant.
You may not have been the first but you are certainly knowledgeable and helpful. Between you and @AU55IE I would never have known about Lambda let alone have purchased the Razor. …Now that I think of it you and @AU55IE pushed me into the rabbit hole. Thanks. 😊

Confirming my receipt of the Lambda razor head today. Just finished my first shave this evening using a Razorock Ti handle and Nacet blade. More thoughts to follow. First impression is very positive. Excellent efficiency and high comfort level. Dare I say magical? Upon first use, this is what I want the Overlander to be.

Confirming my receipt of the Lambda razor head today. Just finished my first shave this evening using a Razorock Ti handle and Nacet blade. More thoughts to follow. First impression is very positive. Excellent efficiency and high comfort level. Dare I say magical? Upon first use, this is what I want the Overlander to be.
Not a surprise. Your enjoyment is just beginning . No razor will equal a Lambda. IMHO😊

I found that I preferred using the Athena head with my Timeless ti handle instead of the Athena handle. It might just be because I'm used to using a lighter razor. But once I switched over to the titanium handle I didn't go back.
When I first got the SS Athena, I did the same thing with the Timeless Ti handle. But after a few shaves, the balance seemed a bit off to me so I went back to the OEM handle. It then all clicked for me and the OEM handle was the winner for me. No issues since then. Then handle and head work perfectly together. Theo is a genius. YMMV of course.

The RR HALO 100mm Ti handle with the Athena head: In my brief experience the heavier head didn't balance well with the lighter handle. Maybe the thicker Timeless Crown might have been a better match, the original handle undoubtedly even more so.

Top Bottom