What's new

Lambda Athena Cap and Baseplate Pass Around

The ares remains the best DE I’ve used but the maintenance was a bit much for me. I’m very happy with my Masune open comb base plate. I’m curious if this will beat the Tatara. Perhaps a stainless fits the bill for me, although the price tag on them was insane.
If Theo ever decides to make an Ares SS I will be there waiting.
I'd like to try the Ares one day but I'm kind of like you in that I'm not a huge fan of the extra maintenance required with bronze. Maybe if I ever see a steel one I'll try it.

What was the expensive steel razor, the Tatara or the Ares?
I have the bronze Ares. The amount of maintenance is minimal. I use Flitz. You rub it on and wash it off. Dry the razor with a micro fiber cloth and back to new. If you like the look of bronze, get the Ares or Athena, minimal maintenance. If you want no maintenance, notify Theo at Lambda of your interest in a Stainless Steel razor.

I'd like to try the Ares one day but I'm kind of like you in that I'm not a huge fan of the extra maintenance required with bronze. Maybe if I ever see a steel one I'll try it.

What was the expensive steel razor, the Tatara or the Ares?
The Lambda Ares stainless was around 4-500 if my memory serves me correctly. A bit over the top for me in price .The Tatara is high end for me as is and is an amazing shaver.

I will say, the fatip open comb is a good razor that shaves very close to the lambda open comb that I got for 25 dollars. I wouldn’t be surprised if he based his Athena design at all off of that.

The Lambda Ares stainless was around 4-500 if my memory serves me correctly. A bit over the top for me in price .The Tatara is high end for me as is and is an amazing shaver.

I will say, the fatip open comb is a good razor that shaves very close to the lambda open comb that I got for 25 dollars. I wouldn’t be surprised if he based his Athena design at all off of that.
That price is incorrect. My stainless Athena was $300. Not cheap but nowhere near $400-$500. It is worth every penny. Cheap copies are still just cheap copies.

IMG_9861.png
That price is incorrect. My stainless Athena was $300. Not cheap but nowhere near $400-$500. It is worth every penny. Cheap copies are still just cheap copies.
I looked it up. 320 euros is about 345 and I bet the next drop that price goes up even further. I make good money but I won’t pay that for a razor, sorry.

I will say, the fatip open comb is a good razor that shaves very close to the lambda open comb that I got for 25 dollars.

I enjoy my Fatip open comb very much as well. It shaves great. Only complaint is that mine has a bit of play between the top cap and base plate and the handle has a couple mildly rough edges. Once you get it lined up and tightened down though it shaves superbly.

...or just don't polish it. I don't do any extra maintenance with my Athena and it is darkening a bit and very slowly. If I ever do want to polish it, I could. But why would I do that every day?

I'm kind of weird in that I like my shiny things to stay shiny. While it's not a huge time commitment to keep a bronze razor shiny, the whole time I'm polishing or wiping the razor I'm thinking that if I had just used my ti Timeless I could be doing something else right now.

I enjoy my Fatip open comb very much as well. It shaves great. Only complaint is that mine has a bit of play between the top cap and base plate and the handle has a couple mildly rough edges. Once you get it lined up and tightened down though it shaves superbly.

I'm kind of weird in that I like my shiny things to stay shiny. While it's not a huge time commitment to keep a bronze razor shiny, the whole time I'm polishing or wiping the razor I'm thinking that if I had just used my ti Timeless I could be doing something else right now.
That’s my problem and why I sold it. To take it apart, wipe it. Too cumbersome. The Tatara is just as good and I don’t need to do all that. Thankfully my fatip has no misalignment!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I looked it up. 320 euros is about 345 and I bet the next drop that price goes up even further. I make good money but I won’t pay that for a razor, sorry.
We probably all have a threshold we won’t exceed. I’m completely fine with that. For some people, it’s $25. For me, it’s a bit more than that. <eg>

That said, my razor purchases have slowed way down and are about to come to a halt. I’ve satisfied my curiosity. I know about some great razors that I’m not going to buy. Can you believe it???

I wonder what the titanium will come in at? Has Lambda ever offered titanium previously?

I think I'm on the waiting list for the SS Ares, but I'm happy with the bronze so I'll probably stick with it. I find it basically no extra work at all to keep the patina away. I take it apart, clean and dry it off and let it sit for awhile and put it away. Takes a few minutes. I do that with them all so no extra work. The bronze used seems less prone to patina than others and I like the lighter shade bronze. I'll consider buying the SS and selling the bronze but it's doubtful. There's lots of SS razor options around, less bronze. Ymmv.

I think I'm on the waiting list for the SS Ares, but I'm happy with the bronze so I'll probably stick with it. I find it basically no extra work at all to keep the patina away. I take it apart, clean and dry it off and let it sit for awhile and put it away. Takes a few minutes. I do that with them all so no extra work. The bronze used seems less prone to patina than others and I like the lighter shade bronze. I'll consider buying the SS and selling the bronze but it's doubtful. There's lots of SS razor options around, less bronze. Ymmv.
I have the bronze Ares and the SS Athena. Both are wonderful.

Great to see so many signing up for this passaround. It’s really kind of @Wgg2017 to take the time to organise this and donate the razor head. Whether you end up liking the razor or not, it’s great to get the chance to test it out, and this is a very different razor design from everything else on the market. I hope everyone on the list enjoys their time with it.

My suggestion is to use a neutral angle and listen for the loudest feedback - that’s where the efficiency really came out for me, though it was always a gentle, close shave at any angle. And if you don’t normally like to shave against the grain, perhaps try it again with the Athena and you may find it works for you even if other razors cause irritation.

Oh, and do run the head under the tap to rinse it so you get the pleasure of the water shooting from the side channels.

Have fun.

And if you don’t normally like to shave against the grain, perhaps try it again with the Athena and you may find it works for you even if other razors cause irritation.

I'd strongly encourage everyone to listen to Mr. Shavington's advice. He started the long and active Lambda Athena thread and has a great deal of experience with the razor.

@Mr. Shavington, were you the first on the board to have an Athena?

Who has the razor in possession presently? #2 on the list?

Yes @ewk has it. He confirmed receipt of it through a pm this afternoon. He has up to two weeks with it and then it will go to @shaveSymptomatic. If ewk is busy on a Saturday it's fine if the razor doesn't go out until Monday.

I'm excited to hear what everyone thinks of the razor. Enjoy!

Top Bottom