What's new

The Great Canadian Pass Around Box 5 (Signup + the round) CTB5

There's an R41 in the box? I've been moving towards milder razors like the GC .68P since I found the .84 a bit much for more than once a week use. I'd still like to try a straight razor, but I dunno just yet.

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
There's an R41 in the box? I've been moving towards milder razors like the GC .68P since I found the .84 a bit much for more than once a week use. I'd still like to try a straight razor, but I dunno just yet.
Indeed an R41 in the box. Definitely more blade feely than an .84, but less than I had expected. I loaded a Nacet and didn't have any irritation after XTG and ATG passes. I did notice the chatter I'd heard about though.

I hadn't planned on trying the straight, but figured it was a good opp to at least try, and am looking forward to more practice tomorrow.

Indeed an R41 in the box. Definitely more blade feely than an .84, but less than I had expected. I loaded a Nacet and didn't have any irritation after XTG and ATG passes. I did notice the chatter I'd heard about though.

I hadn't planned on trying the straight, but figured it was a good opp to at least try, and am looking forward to more practice tomorrow.

I'll have to do a bit of reading on the straights before I give it a go. I've seen a few videos from GeoFatboy on them, but I'm not sure I could do an ambidextrous shave like he does.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I'll have to do a bit of reading on the straights before I give it a go. I've seen a few videos from GeoFatboy on them, but I'm not sure I could do an ambidextrous shave like he does.
That's a very surprising skill that came to me naturally. I don't think that all straight shavers use their non-dominant hand with a straight razor. I believe a vast majority do.

Don't expect something perfect on shave #1. It will take a bit of time. I believe that 2-3 weeks of daily shaving will get you in a comfortable zone to use a straight. Like anything, there's a learning curve.

Key things:
-very small blade angle (spine of the razor almost touching).
-Stretch the skin to create flat surfaces.
-Take your time.

There's the straight razor guide in Wiki to give you an idea. Interactive Guide to Straight Razor Shaving - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/wiki/Interactive_Guide_to_Straight_Razor_Shaving

mcee_sharp

I'll give the Scottish Spirit a similar treatment today and re-home it so it doesn't leak. I have some amber bottles with reducers.

The black sure made my Skin Bracer feel high-end!

9.jpg

mcee_sharp

@nlife FWIW, the hand switching was one thing that I was a little leery of. With my safeties my off hand feels clumsy.

Has been a different ball game with the straight so far however. Both hands feel equal.

It's great to see you getting a bunch of use out of the items in the box @mcee_sharp! Given that I only shave every 4-7 days or so, I'm not going to get to try too much. That's ok, I'm just happy to be able to jump in on something like this. I'm sure I'll find a few items that I'll be able to try. I've been sticking to a limited few items in my shave collection lately and have been looking at what I could potentially part with when the box shows up.

mcee_sharp

Used the MMOC again today, beautiful two pass shave a "99% BBS"

The Kiss my Face (?) Grapefruit cream performed very well, if I ever find KMF locally, I'll have to buy some. Seems to be in the realm of health food stores.

The VL Horse performed well again.

I like the Mountain Man splash as well.

10.jpg

Luc

Staff member
KMF -> Kiss My Face, that's right.

I tried a few fragrances but I haven't seen it around for years now. It's a very good product and would buy it more often if it was easily available!

mcee_sharp

KMF -> Kiss My Face, that's right.

I tried a few fragrances but I haven't seen it around for years now. It's a very good product and would buy it more often if it was easily available!
I did some googling last night and it looks like I can find some in Calgary at a compounding pharmacy or two and a natural foods store. Unfortunately they're on the other end of the city and I tend to stick to my quadrant :D

Luc

Staff member
Yes, there are a few places online where I can get some (well.ca has some). It's more expensive than what it used to be. Also, I noticed that the current formulation has olive oil in it. I do not know if the one that's in the sampler has olive oil but I don't think so...

Yes, there are a few places online where I can get some (well.ca has some). It's more expensive than what it used to be. Also, I noticed that the current formulation has olive oil in it. I do not know if the one that's in the sampler has olive oil but I don't think so...
Did I miss this in the box or was it added after?

Amazon has it for a bit more $$$ than Well.ca of anyone wants it quick and easy.

Luc

Staff member
Did I miss this in the box or was it added after?

Amazon has it for a bit more $$$ than Well.ca of anyone wants it quick and easy.
You missed it! See, so much stuff that you turned a blind eye on the small jars!

Top Bottom