What's new

Lambda Athena Cap and Baseplate Pass Around

I'm starting a pass around for a Lambda Athena top cap and base plate. I decided to do this thanks to Theo's (the owner of Lambda) generosity in resolving a minor issue with an order that was not the fault of Lambda in any way.

Criteria to join: be a member of B&B for at least 6 months and have at least 50 posts.

This pass around will be limited to the first 30 members that say "I'm in" and meet the eligibility requirements. Depending on how many people sign up, I'm thinking the time with the razor head will be anywhere from 7-14 days. This will be finalized when the razor goes out later this week to the first person on the list.

The razor head is bronze so it will require a bit more care than some other metals like steel, titanium, or aluminum. Please fully dry the razor after use and store in a dry location. All that I ask is that it leaves your possession in the same condition that you received it. I've found that a soft bristled toothbrush and some hand soap are all that's necessary to keep shave soap from building up in the cracks and crevices, followed by drying with a hand towel and q tip.

Shipping to the next person on the list will be the responsibility of the person currently in possession of the razor. Pack it in such a way that the top cap and base plate don't clang against one another during shipping. The cheapest shipping option that offers tracking is fine. Please notify the next recipient when it is on the way and pm the tracking number to them.

There is no handle included so make sure you have a handle of some kind already. The Athena handle weighs 88 grams on my scale and is 95mm in length for those wanting to replicate it's weight and length as closely as possible. It has a balance point just barely halfway above the midpoint.

I'll maintain the list of users and we can make adjustments as necessary if someone is going to be out of town or something when their turn comes up.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
@Wgg2017 , Thank you so much for doing this pass around. I think the Athena is special enough that if people can try one out, they might see what a great razor it is..... In my view, the Athena is of the same quality of design, finish and shave quality of razors considerably higher in price. I realize the Athena isn't inexpensive and buying one on someone else's word is a risk. If you can use it and it works for you.... you will satisfy your own curiosity, first of all... If it ends up being a razor you love to use, you can buy it with no risk...

@Wgg2017 , I think many people will be thanking your in a few months after they buy their own Athena and get such great shaves as a result. Of course, you can get great shaves with lots of razors, including razors less expensive. That doesn't take away from how amazing the Athena is for me... and just might be for those who get a chance to use one during your pass around.

Thanks again.

I plan to ship the head to rsp1202 on Friday. I'm still not sure how long each participant will get with the razor. It kind of depends on how many sign up. Minimum of 7 days. Probably more like 10-14.

@Wgg2017 , Thank you so much for doing this pass around. I think the Athena is special enough that if people can try one out, they might see what a great razor it is..... In my view, the Athena is of the same quality of design, finish and shave quality of razors considerably higher in price. I realize the Athena isn't inexpensive and buying one on someone else's word is a risk. If you can use it and it works for you.... you will satisfy your own curiosity, first of all... If it ends up being a razor you love to use, you can buy it with no risk...

@Wgg2017 , I think many people will be thanking your in a few months after they buy their own Athena and get such great shaves as a result. Of course, you can get great shaves with lots of razors, including razors less expensive. That doesn't take away from how amazing the Athena is for me... and just might be for those who get a chance to use one during your pass around.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the kind words. I was really impressed by Theo's customer service/generosity in resolving my issue and wanted to pay it forward in some way.

I'm hopeful that someone who joins this pass around will decide to purchase an Athena (or Ares for that matter) who otherwise wouldn't have without having an opportunity to try it out first.

I also agree that the Athena is a great razor that probably isn't priced as high as it could be. It's a bit under the radar imho. Definitely unlike any other razor I've used in terms of how it communicates when using the correct angle.

Last edited:
I’d love to be in on this if possible, thank you for putting it together! I’m in California, and happy to move down on the list if needed if there is a goal to lump people together in similar areas to lessen total time lost to shipping.

You're in!

1. rsp1202
2. ewk
3. shaveSymptomatic
4. jesseix

I hadn't considered grouping members by region but that might make sense. We'll see how many people end up joining. We've already got two from California and I'm in West Virginia.

The Athena head will go out to rsp1202 tomorrow afternoon and I'll send him the tracking info. Given the small number of members who've joined the pass around at this point each person can keep the head for 14 days. This may change for any members who sign up going forward in the event that it blows up in popularity.

The official Lamda Athena thread is a great resource for the shaving characteristics of the razor but it's also a bit long to read through the whole thing. Here's a link for anyone who would like to check it out. Lambda Athena - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/lambda-athena.625826/

In my time with the razor, I found that it performs best with blades that are on the sharper end of the spectrum. It also favors a steep shaving angle (riding the guard/base plate) that almost seems like it's scraping more than cutting. However, have no fear. It's a very audible shaver and even though it kind of seems like it's scraping there is absolutely no irritation or redness or hot sensation after the shave, in my experience.

I hope everyone enjoys the razor and please post your thoughts here or at the Lambda Athena thread. 🍻

In my time with the razor, I found that it performs best with blades that are on the sharper end of the spectrum. It also favors a steep shaving angle (riding the guard/base plate) that almost seems like it's scraping more than cutting. However, have no fear. It's a very audible shaver and even though it kind of seems like it's scraping there is absolutely no irritation or redness or hot sensation after the shave, in my experience.
FWIW, I found pretty much the same. Start with your favorite sharp blade. For angle, listen for when the cutting sound is loudest, that's the razor telling you you found it. 😀 I think it's at neutral, but it could be steeper - it seems steep since you're holding the handle closer to your face than with many razors due to the bend of the blade. In any case, it did seem to be scraping more than slicing, but I got little to no irritation, and I'm one who'd tends to go shallow, not steep.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
FWIW, I found pretty much the same. Start with your favorite sharp blade. For angle, listen for when the cutting sound is loudest, that's the razor telling you you found it. 😀 I think it's at neutral, but it could be steeper - it seems steep since you're holding the handle closer to your face than with many razors due to the bend of the blade. In any case, it did seem to be scraping more than slicing, but I got little to no irritation, and I'm one who'd tends to go shallow, not steep.
I think I end up with a more neutral angle when using my Athenas.... but I also listen for the loudest sound and go by that. I didn't notice any scraping feeling but that could just be me. The Athena draws me into that Zen zone as fast as any razor that gets me there... including the La Faulx razors.... You know... where you sort of become one with the razor and get lost in the shave.

Just an update. Today was hectic and I couldn't make it to the post office before they closed. The head will go out tomorrow instead.

What handle do you need for it? I have A Rockwell 6C, a Tech, Yates 'Merica with threaded handles. I'd like in on it if the threads are standard threads.

Top Bottom