What's new

ATT SE1...Take a Bow...

That makes sense, I find the SE1 more efficient than the Sabre L1 you kind loaned to me and slightly less efficient than the MMOC. In your comparison, the MMOC was more efficient than the Sabre L2.

I've been using the ATT SE1 exclusively, so when it comes to using the right amount of pressure to get the most out of it, I can wield it perfectly. Between the SE1 and MMOC, it's splitting hairs, I like the wider blade more. If I use the MMOC after using the SE1, the added efficiency is noticeable but nothing to sneeze at.

Stroke for stroke, the SE1 is not far behind the MMOC, but it is behind it. The MMOC is behind the SE2.

Yep if I recall correctly the Sabre L2 was just a slight bit less efficient than the MMOC but was a bit more smoother shaver. Also I have to say to be 100% fair I have had a lot more shave time with the MMOC than with the L2 Sabre so depending on how the SE1 vs Sabre L2 goes I may have to revisit that comparison just for the heck of it.

The first 2 times I used the SE1 the shaves were DFS good using long strokes and 3 passes but not as good as today's shave when I went back to my skin stretch short stroke technique. It only took 2 1/2 passes and a touch up just on my cowlick and I did achieve a level 1 BBS. I think part of the reason was because I tried using long strokes with the SE1 as I would using the Sabre L2 and the results were not as good as today's BBS shave. When I do the shave comparison I'll use the short stroke technique when I use both razors to get a true evaluation. Regardless I'm glad I got the SE1 baseplate but the SE2 is the real diamond here and I can't wait to spend more time with it. I've been using a lot of different razors lately for many reasons and the SE2 only got one half face shave so far but boy was that a great shave. Knew it from the first stroke it was a winner, a contender and a keeper for sure.
:thumbup1:

Protouch MG’s are fantastic in my opinion. I read they do use the exact same Pink tech, including the coating. Just the guarded version of the regular Mild Pink.

The guarded blade actually reduces the blade gap by about .005" since there is more metal on the blade edge to guard it.

I didn't have a problem getting a BBS shave from the Kai Mild PINK, it took more strokes than the Schick Proline.

I did notice that my stubble caused my skin on my chin to be sore after 24 hours growth with the Kai. That tells me that my stubble was not cut cleanly. My stubble on my chin is pretty coarse and the Proline mows down my chin and above my lip better.

My chin was still sore before I started my next shave with the SE2/Schick Proline, but was fine after the shave and still is 15 hours later. I experienced something similar with several DE blades. The fix was not to cut my stubble so close.

With my stubble being as coarse as it is, not so sharp blades leave my stubble pointed and when it grows back, they stab my skin from the inside out.

I stretch my skin to get close on my chin, not a good idea with the Kai blade, no problem with the Proline.

Logged another head shave with the SE1/Schick Proline today, I believe it's the third face and head shave on the blade, covering a lot of real estate... I should be able to get 7 daily face and head shaves from the Proline, we'll see.

Well I had another full shave with my SE1 this morning and it was the best so far. Just a two pass work day DFS shave and it was much smoother than the last shave as far as glide goes by quite a bit. Part of the reason is I polished the head once I found out that satin finishes are porous and there are microscopic unsmooth crevices and imperfections that can make the razor feel like it has a bit of drag. Had the same problem with any satin finished SS razor in the past like my original Ikons, El Jefe, Ikin MRSE and then the SE1/2. This will disappear with time and many uses and the metal becomes smoother as it gets buffed by the face with each shave. Especially if your doing a ton of strokes and maybe head shaving ( Rabidus ) :lol: I decided to speed up the process by polishing it and I'm happy I did. So problem solved and now I can't wait to take the SE2 for a full spin but I'll want to let the beard grow for about 3 days so I can put it to the test of how it handles my wiry beard on 3 days growth.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Well I had another full shave with my SE1 this morning and it was the best so far. Just a two pass work day DFS shave and it was much smoother than the last shave as far as glide goes by quite a bit. Part of the reason is I polished the head once I found out that satin finishes are porous and there are microscopic unsmooth crevices and imperfections that can make the razor feel like it has a bit of drag. Had the same problem with any satin finished SS razor in the past like my original Ikons, El Jefe, Ikin MRSE and then the SE1/2. This will disappear with time and many uses and the metal becomes smoother as it gets buffed by the face with each shave. Especially if your doing a ton of strokes and maybe head shaving ( Rabidus ) :lol: I decided to speed up the process by polishing it and I'm happy I did. So problem solved and now I can't wait to take the SE2 for a full spin but I'll want to let the beard grow for about 3 days so I can put it to the test of how it handles my wiry beard on 3 days growth.

What was your polishing method, if you don't mind sharing it.

Thanks, and happy shaves,

Jim

I just completed my first head shave with the ATT SE1 with a Proline and I have to say that I've not used anything that compares to this. A lot of razors in my drawer are now about to head to the bay.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I just completed my first head shave with the ATT SE1 with a Proline and I have to say that I've not used anything that compares to this. A lot of razors in my drawer are now about to head to the bay.

If one of them is a brass General let me know.

I'd also like to know what razors you've tried and what makes them not as good as the SE1 and what makes the SE1 better. Just because I'm interested in razors, and their qualities, and what makes them particularly great.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I just completed my first head shave with the ATT SE1 with a Proline and I have to say that I've not used anything that compares to this.

It can't be beat! :punk:

what makes the SE1 better.

It's forged from molten lava that flows from the Earth's core! :thumbsup:

proxy.php

ATT have really found the sweet spot with blade gap and blade reveal. It's so smooth while still being really efficient. I didn't think there would such a difference between what I was using and the SE1, but there really is.

General and Proline was great. ATT SE1 w/ Proline even better. For me, efficiency and smoothness wise, Kai Protouch MG is tops. It is strange because I don’t like the normal Kai Pink mild that much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find my brass General gives me excellent shaves but I like the ATT SE1 a little better. Like someone just said, ATT has found the sweet spot with blade gap and blade exposure. It is just slightly more aggressive than the General and that difference I really like. I dare say it is perfect.
If I met someone who was just getting into traditional shaving, I would tell them start with the best and save yourself time & money and get an ATT SE1.

Last edited:
This AM, I used my ATT SE1, with a new Proline, and TOBS Mr. Taylor -- preceded by a Yardley Lavender double-wash and quadruple hot towel-down. Very nice BBS shave. Very little sting -- with a touch of witchhazel-diluted Vaseline Intensive Care, followed by a half-palm dose of Lucky Tiger....

I typically to a "2 3/4 pass" shave -- i.e., WTG, ATG, obliquely across the jowls and side of the neck only, and finishing-up on the front and back sides of the burns, over and slightly behind the ears, and on the top surface of the ears. Once a week, the Mrs. does the back of my neck. [[I confess to being old-school barbershop.]]

Is it better than an El Jefe with a 2 or 3 shave Proline blade? It is very close...

General and Proline was great. ATT SE1 w/ Proline even better. For me, efficiency and smoothness wise, Kai Protouch MG is tops. It is strange because I don’t like the normal Kai Pink mild that much.

With all the extra metal on the guarded edge, the blade gap is reduced by about .005".

Is it better than an El Jefe with a 2 or 3 shave Proline blade? It is very close...

I've used the El Jefe for months before getting the SE1, it's an excellent razor, but my hand keeps reaching for the ATT SE1.

When I have 2+ days of growth, I invariably reach for my ATT SE2 or a Feather AC straight (usually the Kai Captain Excelia). Other days it'll be one of my aluminum razors: the SE1 Calypso, or the black or silver General. More recently, the MR-SE has entered the mix, also on lighter-growth days. But I always use the straight for my last pass or touch-up. This guarantees a BBS no matter what razor I started with.

With all the extra metal on the guarded edge, the blade gap is reduced by about .005".

I've used the El Jefe for months before getting the SE1, it's an excellent razor, but my hand keeps reaching for the ATT SE1.

I believe it’s .05mm.

I measured the blade gap of both blades in my SE1 with a feeler gauge, there's a .005" difference!

I was just going by Kai’s own marketing information, unless the photo is incorrect, or i’m mistaking the photo’s blueprint measurement....or you are saying something independent altogether.
proxy.php

To me, the attached photo indicates that the guard adds a .05mm thickness. Thus, logic would dictate that the additional thickness would reduce the blade gap by the exact same amount.

Top Bottom