What's new

ATT SE1...Take a Bow...

Unfortunately I can't use the Schick Proline blades in my ATT SE1 razor because they don't fit. I bought my ATT from their first run and that was a known problem, blades fitting tight. They corrected it of course. No matter how hard I press the blade it won't fit into the SE1 razor. So I use that blade in my Mongoose or my General.
Of course I can use Feather and KAI blades in the ATT.

That's a shame! The Kai blades seem to have some play from side to side on my cap. While the Proline has less to no play from side to side. The difference is very small and does not affect the shave. The two aligning holes on the Proline seem to be a tad smaller lengthwise. Tight tolerances using the Kai blade would cause the Proline not to fit. I don't have a Feather Pro to compare. The Pro Super seems to fit like the Proline.

The Proline fit mine no problem from the start. Considering it's the only blade I use, that's a big plus.

The Proline fits the El Jefe, General, Classic Cobra, and Asylum Rx, all competitive razors with ATT razors. Either ATT narrowed the pins or it's just a case of tolerances being slightly different from cap to cap.

The manufacturing tolerances of the Proline blade could make a difference if the holes are supposed to match Kai and Feather! Have you tried a Proline blade from another pack?

I only have one pack of Prolines. It is definitely the razor. When it first came out, ATT said it was a tight fit for blades and they corrected the problem later. It was never really a problem for me until I got the Proline blades.

The manufacturing tolerances of the Proline blade could make a difference if the holes are supposed to match Kai and Feather! Have you tried a Proline blade from another pack?

I think this has come up before. @shave/brush has an early run SE1. The Proline blades fit my SE1 just fine, but mine is from 2016, and presumably not from that early run.

But I appreciate your review of the SE2. The only quibble I have with the SE1 is that it could be just a wee bit more "aggressive". So close... Maybe the SE2 would be just right.

Hey @rabidus :a30: how is you're Schick Proline Force going :a45: do you feel the power to order some MORE!!! :a30: come'on @rabidus you know very well you need some more Schick Proline a whole box of 300 blades in your den

I think this has come up before. @shave/brush has an early run SE1. The Proline blades fit my SE1 just fine, but mine is from 2016, and presumably not from that early run.

But I appreciate your review of the SE2. The only quibble I have with the SE1 is that it could be just a wee bit more "aggressive". So close... Maybe the SE2 would be just right.

I tried the Asylum RX in a passaround and I like the SE2 much better! While I could wield the Asylum RX, it was basically like having no safety bar at all, like shaving with a shavette or str8. The SE2 on the other hand is right at the point where there is a level of safety and it's still smooth and very efficient! I wouldn't buy the RX and am happy I got to try it and then buy the SE2, it's better for me.

Hey @rabidus :a30: how is you're Schick Proline Force going :a45: do you feel the power to order some MORE!!! :a30: come'on @rabidus you know very well you need some more Schick Proline a whole box of 300 blades in your den

My first order was 90. I gave some to several people to try but haven't finished the first 30 yet. I just ordered another 90 a couple of days ago.

I think I'll need a little more than 300. I'm not shaving my head at the moment, I shave it by choice, I have options, so between the GEM SS PTFE blades I have, I won't need much more than 300. I'll buy some more in a couple of months!

I tried the Asylum RX in a passaround and I like the SE2 much better! While I could wield the Asylum RX, it was basically like having no safety bar at all, like shaving with a shavette or str8. The SE2 on the other hand is right at the point where there is a level of safety and it's still smooth and very efficient! I wouldn't buy the RX and am happy I got to try it and then buy the SE2, it's better for me.

That's valuable info. Thanks. I have an RX, and it's a beast. It took me a few shaves to figure out what you've discovered: You have to go into the shave thinking of it as a hoe-handled straight or shavette. I love how closely it shaves, but it's not for sleepy or distracted shaving. I might think about picking up an SE2 base plate. You and I seem to like the same razors.

This could be the problem. Just enough difference to cause the problem.

If I had the your cap, I would either ask ATT to modify it or I would lightly file the outside of the pins until the Proline fits.

That's valuable info. Thanks. I have an RX, and it's a beast. It took me a few shaves to figure out what you've discovered: You have to go into the shave thinking of it as a hoe-handled straight or shavette. I love how closely it shaves, but it's not for sleepy or distracted shaving. I might think about picking up an SE2 base plate. You and I seem to like the same razors.

I agree, the RX is a beast!

I haven't compared the SE2 and RX side by side but I would say they're both are equally efficient with the SE2 being safer and smoother! There is a noticeable difference between the SE1 and SE2.

Now that is an idea I have to think about. So you think I should file the outside of the pins.

I would reach out to Stan at ATT and explain the situation, letting him know that his modification of the tight blade fitment made later caps able to use Schick Proline blades where you can't and others can. He may help you.

If that doesn't work, because I only use Proline blades, I would use a file to narrow the pins on either side to get proper fitment. The way the blade almost fits should tell you where to start.

I modified a Gillette cap to fit a Cooper razor. But this is a little different, more money.

I would reach out to ATT first and then I would take matters into my own hands.

Ok. There’s been a military coup. The ATT SE 1 just took out The General. Didn’t think it was going to happen due to the claims that it was more aggressive than the General. I couldn’t feel the aggressiveness if that is the case. It was even more efficient and smoother as a matter of fact. There are a few places I need to hit again with the Gen and a few places where it is slightly rough with the Gen. This isn’t the case with the SE1. Wow. Now, granted, I did have about 4/5 days growth. The test will be 2 days growth after this shave to see if it’s still as comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After talking with Stan yesterday I'm ordering the Aluminum SE 1 which in his experience is pretty much the same as the SS model and for those that would like to know yes you can add the SS SE 2 baseplate to the Aluminum and in fact Stan thought that might be a good combo as it would add a little weight to the head therefore increasing the efficiency. For what's it worth Stan is a nice guy and I enjoyed my chat with him about razors and shaving etc.

Last edited:
Ok. There’s been a military coup. The ATT SE 1 just took out The General. Didn’t think it was going to happen due to the claims that it was more aggressive than the General. I couldn’t feel the aggressiveness if that is the case. It was even more efficient and smoother as a matter of fact. There are a few places I need to hit again with the Gen and a few places where it is slightly rough with the Gen. This isn’t the case with the SE1. Wow. Now, granted, I did have about 4/5 days growth. The test will be 2 days growth after this shave to see if it’s still as comfortable.

You get what you pay for! The SE1 is better because it's made with "love!"

My SE1 has 2016 stamped on it and has a blade gap of .40mm. The current baseplates have a blade gap of .61mm according to the website.

Which SE1 do you have?

My SE2 has the .61 blade gap, I bought it new and bought the SE1 from the returns at a discount. I have to buy the current SE1 now.

I used my SE1 today and it was smooth as silk and highly efficient.

After talking with Stan yesterday I'm ordering the Aluminum SE 1 which in his experience is pretty much the same as the SS model and for those that would like to know yes you can add the SS SE 2 baseplate to the Aluminum and in fact Stan thought that might be a good combo as it would add a little weight to the head therefore increasing the efficiency. For what's it worth Stan is a nice guy and I enjoyed my chat with him about razors and shaving etc.

Awesome! Looking forward to your review!

You get what you pay for! The SE1 is better because it's made with "love!"

My SE1 has 2016 stamped on it and has a blade gap of .40mm. The current baseplates have a blade gap of .61mm according to the website.

Which SE1 do you have?

My SE2 has the .61 blade gap, I bought it new and bought the SE1 from the returns at a discount. I have to buy the current SE1 now.

I used my SE1 today and it was smooth as silk and highly efficient.

Awesome! Looking forward to your review!

Bought it last week so it’s his current batch I would assume. No date stamp. But it’s nice!

Kronos. Don’t mind the little extra length at all, compared to the Atlas. Plus, the knurling is the best I’ve felt.

I had the Kronos handle a couple of years ago, it is nice.

The Atlas feels like a smooth handle with excellent grip! The barber pole knurling is nice, I'll probably buy another one.

I agree the Rx just wasn’t for me, if I want a straight razor focus like shave I’ll use a straight and get better results, the point of a safety razor is safer and easier results.

I really wished the SE1/2 would be available in polish, as then I just need the head. I may have to look at the aluminum version, or look at the General SS, been meaning to add another SE razor since I let the Sabre go.

Top Bottom