What's new

ATT SE1...Take a Bow...

My two-pass routine is always the same: south to north (a combo of ATG and XTG), followed by ear to nose, from both ears (again, a combo of ATG and XTG). On my face, WTG would be a waste of time and lather.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Esox, so when you use your Fatip you do your shave in one pass only?

When I use my Grande yes, its a single pass, buffing, as directly ATG as I can with either a Polsilver or Gillette Yellow. Either blade gives me a BBS finish that lasts between 8 and 10 hours and my skin doesnt even feel like I've shaved.

From loading my brush to toweling off is around 3 minutes.

Using each blade like that, on its 20th shave the Polsilver was one full buffing pass and 2 strokes in the opposite direction over the swirls on either side of my adams apple. At shave #20 that blade was the equal of a fresh Gillette Yellow, if not even smoother.

I tossed that Polsilver to test a Yellow. It went 9 shaves, but was honestly finished at 7. The tugging at shave 9 was too much, but only slight at shave #7.

I'm not sure I could do that kind of shave without buffing a little. I think of it like cutting the grass with a push mower. You wont make it across the yard on a single push, sometimes you have to back step, clear the mower and push into the growth again. With either of those blades though, my buffing strokes are maybe 4"s long.

My shaves like that started on my 7th shave with my Grande here with a Feather blade;

Shave #7

Go big or go home, as the saying goes...

50 hours since last shave

img_2082-jpg.826844

Knowing what I do of Feather blades, I wanted to make sure I had the most slickness available and this Captain's Choice North has never failed in that area, or any other for that matter.

As I said earlier, I have hopes of achieving a "One Pass Wonder Shave" and I thought this blade might be up to it.

All shaves past that were starting directly ATG at between 44 and 56 hours growth while I tested 20 different blades. Then I moved to other razors trying to better it. My MMOC and Old Types, and now the R41, but none have dethroned The King, but I dont have the SE1 and Prolines...yet. :)

Mmmm . . . so when I finish this blade, which should be the 21st of the month, I will switch back to the SE1 (from the SE2) just to check it out. Maybe I can pick one and stay with it for the rest of the summer . . . or the year . . .

Mmmm . . . so when I finish this blade, which should be the 21st of the month, I will switch back to the SE1 (from the SE2) just to check it out. Maybe I can pick one and stay with it for the rest of the summer . . . or the year . . .

Technique is what makes the SE2 shine. Good luck choosing between two awesome razors!

Friday's shave was with the SE1/Proline, 2nd face and head shave on the blade flipped over. Directly against the grain on my face and head no problem on 48 hours growth. I typically use a Proline for four face and head shaves, which is about the equivalent to 16+ face shaves...

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Directly against the grain on my face and head no problem on 48 hours growth.

1517811632772.jpg

Soon you'll be thinking the same way I do, if you're not already. A first WTG pass seems like a waste lol.

If you're going to buff anyway, why not buff as directly ATG as you can right at the start. Its not nearly as scary or difficult as it sounds, as long as the razor and blade is rigid enough to not flex.

I used my Single Ring yesterday at around 50 hours. The first pass was N-S just to remove the majority, then it was a single buffing pass ATG and one very small clean up.

I went ATG on my first head shave pass, on the back of my head and all I can say is, ***(what the Florida)... "Holy skipping and pulling Batman!" I'm not balding, so my hair is pretty dense. I won't do that again.

Were the problems the first time you tried just because you wernt use to shaving like that yet? It took me a few tries before I got it just right. Then muscle memory kicked in and I found starting a more traditional 3 pass shave awkward.

Were the problems the first time you tried just because you wernt use to shaving like that yet? It took me a few tries before I got it just right. Then muscle memory kicked in and I found starting a more traditional 3 pass shave awkward.

I think it had to do with 96 hours of dense coarse hair growth, half that growth(48 hours) was fine...

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I think it had to do with 96 hours of dense coarse hair growth, half that growth(48 hours) was fine...

96 hours lol.

The longest I've gone I think was 58. Shorter quicker buffing strokes help.

The same as a push mower. The longer the grass, the more often you need to back step and push into it again lol.

View attachment 897569

Soon you'll be thinking the same way I do, if you're not already. A first WTG pass seems like a waste lol.

If you're going to buff anyway, why not buff as directly ATG as you can right at the start. Its not nearly as scary or difficult as it sounds, as long as the razor and blade is rigid enough to not flex.

I used my Single Ring yesterday at around 50 hours. The first pass was N-S just to remove the majority, then it was a single buffing pass ATG and one very small clean up.

I'm with you, Mike. I always do two passes--ATG and XTG--with tons of buffing (and I shave every day). A WTG pass would just be a waste of time and lather.

96 hours lol.

The longest I've gone I think was 58. Shorter quicker buffing strokes help.

The same as a push mower. The longer the grass, the more often you need to back step and push into it again lol.

I don't usually go 96 hours... ATG on my face was fine, no go on the head shave... I shaved the back of my head ATG but not the top and sides. After the pain on the back, I aborted and finished with a WTG pass and ATG and it was much better on the top and sides.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
A WTG pass would just be a waste of time and lather.

It just makes sense to me to skip it if possible. With the right razor and blade it's easy enough.

I don't usually go 96 hours... ATG on my face was fine, no go on the head shave... I shaved the back of my head ATG but not the top and sides. After the pain on the back, I aborted and finished with a WTG pass and ATG and it was much better on the top and sides.

Thats with the SE1/Proline not the SE2 correct?

I just had a quick look at both. I'll add the pics here as well.

SE1

SE1.jpg

SE2

SE2.jpg

The extra gap of the SE2 makes a difference.

Should the shave angle be more Shallow with the SE 2? I just loaded mine with a feather super pro and will give it a shot tomorrow or the next day.

I've been using the feather super pro with the se1 and absolutely love it.

It's a bit of a toss-up for me between that and the proline. I love both of them.

It just makes sense to me to skip it if possible. With the right razor and blade it's easy enough.

Thats with the SE1/Proline not the SE2 correct?

I just had a quick look at both. I'll add the pics here as well.

SE1

View attachment 897627

SE2

View attachment 897628

The extra gap of the SE2 makes a difference.

Correct, the SE1! The SE2 has more blade gap and the open comb adds to the blade gap. Both razors use the same cap, so technique is key.

The SE2 would have tried to mow down my stubble closer to the root, which is not easier, the end result is a closer shave than the SE1, but the SE1 still wears the crown...

If I was a big fan of a lot of blade exposure, the SE2 could easily wear the crown.

I never had a problem with the SE2, shaves have gotten even better with it though. I just don't need this much razor to get my desired results...

I also have the SE2 V1, which is not as fierce as V2, haven't played with it much though.

3rd face and head shave on the Proline/SE1. 3 face and head shave on a blade is about equivalent to 12+ face shaves. The blade efficiency was down on this shave, I'll use it one more time, but 2-3 times is all I want to use a Proline. My head shaves are blade destroyers. I equate 1 head shave to 3 face shaves, it's probably more like 4 or 5 face shaves, I'm not balding.

48 hours, one lather ATG pass...piece of cake...

Just tried the SE2 with a Feather Pro Super blade. Got a very close shave but I really had to stay alert. Got a couple little nicks and my face feels a bit more tender than normal.

I could adjust to this but not sure it's worth it. I will probably switch back to the SE1 for now. But I'm interested in trying the SE2 with a ProLine blade. That might be interesting.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Anybody here using the 7075 Aluminum version? I'm curious how people enjoy it. I'd be interested in trying it for the reduced weight since I have sensitive skin and the lesser pressure from the weight might help keep the shave gentle.

Anybody here using the 7075 Aluminum version? I'm curious how people enjoy it. I'd be interested in trying it for the reduced weight since I have sensitive skin and the lesser pressure from the weight might help keep the shave gentle.

I thought about getting one, but I think it would be too light for me. I negotiate a some pressure with the SS in some areas of my beard, I would probably have to tailor my technique to negotiate even more pressure with the lighter razor.

60 grams is about the lightest I've settled in a razor.

Top Bottom