What's new

ATT SE1...Take a Bow...

I was just going by Kai’s own marketing information, unless the photo is incorrect, or i’m mistaking the photo’s blueprint measurement....or you are saying something independent altogether.
proxy.php

To me, the attached photo indicates that the guard adds a .05mm thickness. Thus, logic would dictate that the additional thickness would reduce the blade gap by the exact same amount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The SE2 has a blade gap of .61 mm with the Kai Mild Pink blade, which is ATT's advertised blade gap and what I measured, but only has a blade gap of .48 mm with the MG guarded blade, which is what I measured. The difference is the same in both the SE1 and SE2.

The .05 mm should increase the blade gap like a shim, but unlike a shim, the .05mm guard metal covers the blades bevel, not creating a new bevel, so the blade tip is thicker. Also, if you shim a razor between the blade and cap, it will smooth out a razor, the guarded blade has .05 mm thick metal added to both sides, so the blade "exposure" is probably less with the guarded blade than with the regular blade.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The SE2 has a blade gap of .61 mm with the Kai Mild Pink blade, which is ATT's advertised blade gap and what I measured, but only has a blade gap of .48 mm with the MG guarded blade, which is what I measured. The difference is the same in both the SE1 and SE2.

The .05 mm should increase the blade gap like a shim, but unlike a shim, the .05mm guard metal covers the blades bevel, not creating a new bevel, so the blade tip is thicker. Also, if you shim a razor between the blade and cap, it will smooth out a razor, the guarded blade has .05 mm thick metal added to both sides, so the blade "exposure" is probably less with the guarded blade than with the regular blade.

Good stuff, Anthony. Thanks.

What's the effect on the shave, as you see it? Have you tried the guarded blade? I thought you were 100% Proline.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Good stuff, Anthony. Thanks.

What's the effect on the shave, as you see it? Have you tried the guarded blade? I thought you were 100% Proline.

Happy shaves,

Jim

When I first started using AC razors, I didn't know about Schick Proline blades, I tried Kai, Feather Pro and Pro Super. Schick Proline's raised the bar quite a bit when I found out about them.

Kai guarded blade in the SE2 is a very nice combo but not any better than the SE1/Proline combo. And when you factor in the cost, the Proline comes out on top. That's if you buy them from Japan, which is where I get mine.

If I use up the over 400 Proline blades that I have and can't find any more, I would spend the extra money for the Kai guarded blades to use in the SE2.

I don't like Feather blades at all...

The Proline in the SE2 is overkill for me, takes more focus and the BBS results don't last that much longer.

I no longer have any blades other than Schick Proline's.

It's not just about getting a BBS shave. The Proline cuts my stubble cleanly. Other blades not so much, they take more work and cause razor bumps, one or two here and there, when my stubble grows back.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
When I first started using AC razors, I didn't know about Schick Proline blades, I tried Kai, Feather Pro and Pro Super. Schick Proline's raised the bar quite a bit when I found out about them.

Kai guarded blade in the SE2 is a very nice combo but not any better than the SE1/Proline combo. And when you factor in the cost, the Proline comes out on top. That's if you buy them from Japan, which is where I get mine.

If I use up the over 400 Proline blades that I have and can't find any more, I would spend the extra money for the Kai guarded blades to use in the SE2.

I don't like Feather blades at all...

The Proline in the SE2 is overkill for me, takes more focus and the BBS results don't last that much longer.

I no longer have any blades other than Schick Proline's.

It's not just about getting a BBS shave. The Proline cuts my stubble cleanly. Other blades not so much, they take more work and cause razor bumps, one or two here and there, when my stubble grows back.

Thanks, Anthony. Very clear.

I’m with Anthony. Don’t have the range of experience. Never tried guarded blades, haven’t tried my SE2 plate yet. But I also have only Prolines and use only the SE1.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I’m with Anthony. Don’t have the range of experience. Never tried guarded blades, haven’t tried my SE2 plate yet. But I also have only Prolines and use only the SE1.

I only seldom use the SE1, and less often the SE2. Mostly I use the injectors or the Old Type. Mostly if I'm going to use an AC razor I use the SS General. However, I have only used the Proline, and no other AC blade. At some point I will try some of the other AC blades, and I'm interested in learning what I can about them.

Happy shaves,

Jim

The ATT SE1 is hard to beat. I use the Proline blade and Feather Pro also. I find the Proline to be smoother but the end result is about the same for me. I really haven't done much of a side-by-side comparison.
One problem I have is that the Proline blades won't fit in my ATT SE1 so I have to compare the blades in my General razor. That's a bummer.

@Esox

4 and a half days since last shave, used the SE1 with a fresh Proline directly ATG. Mowed my face down no problem.

I went ATG on my first head shave pass, on the back of my head and all I can say is, ***(what the Florida)... "Holy skipping and pulling Batman!" I'm not balding, so my hair is pretty dense. I won't do that again.

I'll go directly ATG on my face again but not my head, my scalp back there is a little sore... Everywhere else, I did my usual WTG/ATG passes.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
@Esox

4 and a half days since last shave, used the SE1 with a fresh Proline directly ATG. Mowed my face down no problem.

I went ATG on my first head shave pass, on the back of my head and all I can say is, ***(what the Florida)... "Holy skipping and pulling Batman!" I'm not balding, so my hair is pretty dense. I won't do that again.

I'll go directly ATG on my face again but not my head, my scalp back there is a little sore... Everywhere else, I did my usual WTG/ATG passes.

I've started a 'thing'! lol

My face is pretty easy to shave directly ATG with a rigid design. The more blade exposure the easier it is. It just comes down to knowing the exact direction of growth, keeping the proper angle and buffing as the razor loads up.

A head shave I can see being much different...

How comfortable did you find shaving first pass ATG on your face was?

@Esox

That's very impressive. So when you start with an ATG pass do you do anymore passes or is it just a one pass shave?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Very comfortable, no difference from when I do a WTG pass first. Nice and smooth.

After learning how to use my Grande first pass ATG, a first pass WTG just seems like a waste of time.

I've had the same shave, just as comfortably, with the NEW SC and my Single Ring, but they both lack the blade exposure of my Grande so they still take what equates to the same 2 1/2 passes, just done entirely ATG.

The MMOC is different. It will do it, and easily too, but the blade falls short on my swirls and it can be tuggy. Everywhere else its an effortless BBS.

With the R41 yesterday, even starting XTG second pass, it was touch and go. For starting directly ATG first pass only the most rigid designs need apply for a comfortable shave.

With a Gillette Yellow in my Grande, buffing is even at a minimum. Simple strokes directly ATG get me to BBS everywhere with very little to no buffing at all, except over my swirls.

Leaning and understanding the exact direction of growth is very important for minimizing buffing strokes.

That's very impressive. So when you start with an ATG pass do you do anymore passes or is it just a one pass shave?

Typically, on my first pass I shave WTG(N-S) on my face and neck, and ear to throat on my neck. On my second pass I shave ATG(S-N) on my face and neck and throat to ear along my jawline on both sides. And then cleanup in whatever direction needed without applying any more lather.

Today I eliminated WTG(N-S) and shaved all other directions on one lather starting with S-N...

Top Bottom