What's new

Asylum RX vs ATT SE1/SE2

I have owned and used my ATT SE1 and SE2 for a number of years now. They are in regular rotation. I have never experienced anything more blade forward or aggressive than my SE2. I could say my Timeless Bronze .78 is in the ballpark, but I would have to say for me the shaves are just too different to compare. They each have their own thing. JMO and how I see it.

So I'm wondering if anyone here has actually been able to compare the ATT razors with the Asylum RX. The Bullgoose sale on Asylum seconds has activated my RAD, unfortunately. I'm really the kind of person who likes to keep it simple. I got rid of my other AC razors because I like my ATT the best. Simple as that. I only use one DE razor right now. I use one GEM razor. That's it. When I say "rotation", it means those three different razor formats, not a collection of razors. Just for clarity.

Thanks for any voice of experience.

It sounds to me like you are pretty well set with what you have. Are you really expecting us to talk you out of buying another razor?
Mjl0BsAgMGYTe.gif

I heartily recommend the Asylum “2nd quality”. It’s kind of ridiculous they call it second quality. There was barely any play in mine (empty, no blade), and with blade installed it is rock solid. At that price, get one and decide for yourself.

A few years ago i had a ATT SE1 and SE2, RR Hawk v1 and V2 and sold them all as i felt they were not efficient enough for my fast growing/resistive Mediterranean stubble and i tried them with all the AC blades except the guarded ones. I currently have the Asylum RX and i like it a lot, its the best ive tried that isnt an AC shavette.

A few years ago i had a ATT SE1 and SE2, RR Hawk v1 and V2 and sold them all as i felt they were not efficient enough for my fast growing/resistive Mediterranean stubble and i tried them with all the AC blades except the guarded ones. I currently have the Asylum RX and i like it a lot, its the best ive tried that isnt an AC shavette.
This is what I'm looking for. Something that is *more* than my ATT SE razors. In my very recent readings, I've discovered that the Asylum RX now on sale is V2, which is less aggressive than the first production run.

Now the important question is, do you have V1 or V2? Thank you so much for your feedback.

I'm new to the Asylum and have only used a KAI mild PINK in it so far. However, couldn't any AC styled SE be made more aggressive by simple using a Feather Super Pro? The blade is wider and thus would provide a more aggressive shave, would it not?

I'm new to the Asylum and have only used a KAI mild PINK in it so far. However, couldn't any AC styled SE be made more aggressive by simple using a Feather Super Pro? The blade is wider and thus would provide a more aggressive shave, would it not?
Sure, it would make it more aggressive. However, I have almost 200 Schick prolines, and I really, really like them. I would rather try a razor to fit the blades I like already. I've tried Feather blades. I much prefer Schick. Also, it's not like I'm unhappy with my current SE situation. Given those two factors, I would just move to a different razor if I make a change.

Sure, it would make it more aggressive. However, I have almost 200 Schick prolines, and I really, really like them. I would rather try a razor to fit the blades I like already. I've tried Feather blades. I much prefer Schick. Also, it's not like I'm unhappy with my current SE situation. Given those two factors, I would just move to a different razor if I make a change.
Good point. I can certainly appreciate that reasoning 100%

The ATT is nice, but its rather like comparing a guarded shavette using Kai milds to a 8/8 Wolstenholm prepped by a master honer.

The Asylum is very efficient, with good blade feel. More forgiving than the V1, and an excellent value on the 2nds.

Looks the seconds are sold out. There is a 15% off sale this weekend though so even the regular one is $102 this weekend.

I have an SE2, and I just sold my original version Asylum RX. I have also tried and sold some other artist club razors. Nothing has topped the SE2 for me. Everything else was milder and less effective, including the RX. I did just get a Vector open comb. I had the SB version a few years ago and never really figured it out. I'm hoping to like the OC better, as I do usually prefer them. I am also going to try the Feather Super blade, which is supposed to increase the aggression over regular Feather Pros, Schicks, etc. BTW, I too have a Timeless .78 bronze, and that razor is a beast. I also like their SS .95.

Why exactly do you prefer the Prolines?

I have SE1 and X1 razors. Had the V1 Asylum but it was too much for me. Never could get comfortable with it. Haven’t had the desire to try the V2 but if it’s more forgiving than the original then it might be worth a look for you.

Rudy V. is selling his Asylum. I'm sure it's like new. You will be getting one a little cheaper in case you don't find it beats the SE2. I'm in the minority, I can see, but I prefer the SE2, and while close, I never thought the Asylum was as aggressive. I would say that both are very good, and are aggressive for artist club razors, so it's worth a try. I had my Asylum for a long time, and I would have gladly kept it in the rotation if it hadn't sold, but I don't think I will ever try to sell the SE2. Asylum Razor and synthetic brush of choice - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/asylum-razor-and-synthetic-brush-of-choice.642144/#post-12329479

Why exactly do you prefer the Prolines?
A good and fair question. It has been three or four years since I've had the Feather Pro blades. After thinking about this for about 10 seconds, I realized I no longer have any credible basis for that opinion. I hung my ATT SE1/SE2 up for a long time due to it being so harsh and aggressive. Well, I finally had to realize it was the shaver, not the razor. I started using razors that were more blade forward. When it came to DE razors, I barely used anything but my Timeless Bronze 78 and my Karve CB with F plate. I love my ATT G1, but hardly use it because it's just too mild.

I really don't know what brought about the increase in shaving skills, but it definitely happened. I have been shaving with the ATT SE1 for the past 5 or 6 weeks. Today I decided to throw on the SE2 plate and had an even better shave than I've had in a long time. Another really weird thing that has happened is that I'm getting more shaves out of an AC blade than ever before. Six shaves was always the max and I usually tossed them after 5 because I could tell they were getting dull. I'm on shave #8 with the current blade and it's still going strong. At my present rate of shaving every 5 days, one box of 20 blades will last somewhere between two and two and a half years, so buying a pack of Feathers certainly wouldn't be a financial hardship. OTOH, I still have over 5 packs of Schick prolines that each have 30 blades. At my age, it's pretty much a lifetime supply.

This is a very long winded way of saying that at this point there is no way I could possibly know whether I prefer Feathers or not. It would be interesting to test it again, but I honestly don't feel the need. Maybe I should look into trading some Schicks for some Feathers with someone somehow. Just for curiosity's sake. Then again, what would I do if I perceive the Feathers to be sharper than the Schicks? Oh, that would not be good...

This hobby is nuts.

Top Bottom