What's new

Acqua Velva Musk?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Pretty sure it came out in the late 1960's @skibik I know I used it in the seventies. I have a memory of the time it came open in my suitcase while traveling ... stuff doesn't fade quickly.

Still have a couple of glass bottles of the stuff.

full

I normally don't open emails that I don't recognize or think are spam but for some reason I opened one today and low and behold it was a reply from an email I sent to the makers of Aqua Velva about when the Musk was made and sold. I definitely need to revive this thread and give them a plug considering they are sending me a coupon. That is awesome customer service and just for sending an inquiry, to me that is above and beyond. Here is the reply:

Dear Mr. SKIBICKI:

Thank you for contacting us concerning Aqua Velva. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback about our products from our consumers.

Since Combe Incorporated purchased Aqua Velva in 2002, we do not have the exact date of when the Musk scent first came onto the market. I believe that it's been around since at least the 1970's.

We value you as a consumer and appreciate your loyalty. We will mail you a coupon which is redeemable for a complimentary package of Aqua Velva.

We appreciate your continued interest in Aqua Velva®. We hope others will be influenced by your enthusiasm for the product.

Sincerely,
Kathy
Kathy
Consumer Resources Consultant

@nemo That appears to be a glass bottle in your photo but the bottles I remember from the 80's had a more rounded shape and not a square shape. Maybe what I bought was New and Improved or something since I thought it may have come out in the 80's.

That glass bottle shape (prior to the switch to plastic) is one of the most perfect aftershave bottles ever. The reducer is just perfect for controlling the amount of aftershave. The plastic bottle/reducer that replaced it is awful.

So I picked up a bottle of AV Musk at the Mall Wart I have to say it’s not what I expected.
I really had no idea what “musk” smelled like. I was thinking like “sweaty moose” or musk ox...
Instead what I smell is one of the main “notes” of my favorite AS; Avon Black Suede.
I like it.

I can't describe scents to save my life but it has kind of a sweet smell to it. I can say it smells the same as I remember when I used it in the 80's. Unlike Old Spice i which they ruined the good old smell of that.

Here is a commercial posted on YouTube and appears to have been a new scent in 1975. I can't say as I ever remember Herbal AS.

Top Bottom