What's new

Dollar Store After Shaves 2020

Man, maybe ya’ll should get a second job or sumfin‘. Buy something good!

Thank you for the compliment. But if you'd read what I had said beforehand you will see that I said Skin Bracer is my primary choice for an after shave, But at times I like to use cheap stuff I have a soft spot for it.

Last edited:
Apologies. I was trying to be humorous and it fell flat.
Cool. Because I have many aftershaves, but I still cant resist 5oz for a buck aftershaves, too.

I was in the store yesterday where I bought the Univer aftershaves, and they had a large qty of the amber spice, blue, and green for $1.29. Then today I discovered another noname dollar store that had them for $1.
They also had a generous qty of Gillette Platinum 5-pack blades and Wilkinsons for $1. So I bought 5 packs of the Gillettes after a quick google search said they were hard to find, very sharp, and vendors were selling them for a lot more than 20 cents a blade.

Cool. Because I have many aftershaves, but I still cant resist 5oz for a buck aftershaves, too.

I was in the store yesterday where I bought the Univer aftershaves, and they had a large qty of the amber spice, blue, and green for $1.29. Then today I discovered another noname dollar store that had them for $1.
They also had a generous qty of Gillette Platinum 5-pack blades and Wilkinsons for $1. So I bought 5 packs of the Gillettes after a quick google search said they were hard to find, very sharp, and vendors were selling them for a lot more than 20 cents a blade.
Awesome! Did the noname dollar after shave have any type of description?

Yes there you go Lacura is their brand I almsot forgot the name. I've used their 3 bladed disposable one the type you don't replace the head just toss it when it's worn out. I've never had luck with store brand disposables whether it be Target or Walmart they are very bad, But this was many years ago maybe they've improved? But I am fine with the BIC Flex. Yeah for rinsing the razor if you place your finger where the water comes out of the water pressure will come out very thin, and harder that will take care of anything that you won't need to use a needle to dislodge anything at least for me but everyone has their own method.
The store brands are either Dorcos (if they say made in Korea or Vietnam), or Personna/Edgewell if they are made in the US. It seems that Dorcos have disappeared in the stores. I like both actually. Edgewell owns Schick now too so many Schick products are the same as the store brands next to them on the shelves!

Bics Hybrid Flex are excellent. If I wasnt focusing on DEs and SEs now I would use them now. They sell refiils for the 5 blade online, but not for the others, and not in stores. Seems a waste to me since the handles are good despite being plastic. I am not sure why they sell the Flex as pure disposables as well since the handles are almost as durable as the Hybrid handle.

I used the Universal green AS yesterday and the Assured blue today.
I should have used the green for a better comparison, but I still think the Assured is better. Actually a lot better. It was very pleasant and didnt have the chemical smell of the Unuversal. The scent lasted all of 5 minutes, but it did its job as an AS, especially since it has glycerin.

They were the Universal ones, same as before, and in the link I posted. They all say the same thing on the back calling it a masculine scent.
😀

Ah OK. I won't buy em again had a headache last night after using it earlier. Made in China chemicals. That's why for cheapies I like the Blue Cross Labs ones, made in USA.

The store brands are either Dorcos (if they say made in Korea or Vietnam), or Personna/Edgewell if they are made in the US. It seems that Dorcos have disappeared in the stores. I like both actually. Edgewell owns Schick now too so many Schick products are the same as the store brands next to them on the shelves!

Bics Hybrid Flex are excellent. If I wasnt focusing on DEs and SEs now I would use them now. They sell refiils for the 5 blade online, but not for the others, and not in stores. Seems a waste to me since the handles are good despite being plastic. I am not sure why they sell the Flex as pure disposables as well since the handles are almost as durable as the Hybrid handle.

I used the Universal green AS yesterday and the Assured blue today.
I should have used the green for a better comparison, but I still think the Assured is better. Actually a lot better. It was very pleasant and didnt have the chemical smell of the Unuversal. The scent lasted all of 5 minutes, but it did its job as an AS, especially since it has glycerin.

I see Dorcos a lot at independent dollar stores and at local small chain supermarkets down here. The disposable Dorcos are made in China and they seem cheap and flimsy I can imagine the amount of nicks and cuts and razor burn they might cause. The BIC Flex handles are amazing I agree with you 100% don't know why they are disposable they could last quite a while. Yes a lot of name brand companies manufacture the store brand versions as well and it's quite obvious which would be the better choice.

Well the Assured after shaves used to smell a whole lot better back in 2018 before their 2019 reformulations and were 1 oz bigger. But I feel Universal cheapened out on their after shaves too. I remember when I used them in early 2019 they were so potent they lasted 1-2 hours on your skin. The blue one I used yesterday wasn't that strong it was very faint it was manufactured 07/2020 and had a nasty cheap chemical smell as well I tossed it out.

Ironically the Men's Choice ones have the same exact label as the Universal ones saying it has a masculine scent in both English and Spanish they misspelled masculine in Spanish they spelled it with two A's maasculino. I speak Spanish as well so I know. Yet Men's Choice claims it's made in USA and it looks like it compared to the Universal it has a way better scent and no chemical after smell even the bottle is higher end. But why would two completely different companies use the same label for the product description on the back. I contacted Blue Cross Labs 2 years ago they told me they still make their after shaves but early 2019 were the last batches manufactured. They said no one has ordered them any more.

Seems like Universal is easier/cheaper to make orders for. I hope someday either Dollar Tree will have them manufactured again like they did well over a decade ago or a local wholesaler just so I can have a decent cheap option LOL. The local wholesaler that I contacted made a giant order in 2017 they told me they had all 3 Men's Choice scents it took 3 years to run out. The owner of that company told me it wasn't moving as they'd like it to, But when they move into a new bigger warehouse in May of this year they might reconsider re-ordering them but no promises. If they do I'll buy some and send you so you can review it. The Spice one smells almost the same as Vi-Jon Spice.

I provided a pic so you can see the label and compare it to your Universal ones.

Attachments

• 125210078_2804241943149201_1631748148436227646_n.jpg
    125210078_2804241943149201_1631748148436227646_n.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 34
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    641.4 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
I see Dorcos a lot at independent dollar stores and at local small chain supermarkets down here. The disposable Dorcos are made in China and they seem cheap and flimsy I can imagine the amount of nicks and cuts and razor burn they might cause. The BIC Flex handles are amazing I agree with you 100% don't know why they are disposable they could last quite a while. Yes a lot of name brand companies manufacture the store brand versions as well and it's quite obvious which would be the better choice.

Well the Assured after shaves used to smell a whole lot better back in 2018 before their 2019 reformulations and were 1 oz bigger. But I feel Universal cheapened out on their after shaves too. I remember when I used them in early 2019 they were so potent they lasted 1-2 hours on your skin. The blue one I used yesterday wasn't that strong it was very faint it was manufactured 07/2020 and had a nasty cheap chemical smell as well I tossed it out.

Ironically the Men's Choice ones have the same exact label as the Universal ones saying it has a masculine scent in both English and Spanish they misspelled masculine in Spanish they spelled it with two A's maasculino. I speak Spanish as well so I know. Yet Men's Choice claims it's made in USA and it looks like it compared to the Universal it has a way better scent and no chemical after smell even the bottle is higher end. But why would two completely different companies use the same label for the product description on the back. I contacted Blue Cross Labs 2 years ago they told me they still make their after shaves but early 2019 were the last batches manufactured. They said no one has ordered them any more.

Seems like Universal is easier/cheaper to make orders for. I hope someday either Dollar Tree will have them manufactured again like they did well over a decade ago or a local wholesaler just so I can have a decent cheap option LOL. The local wholesaler that I contacted made a giant order in 2017 they told me they had all 3 Men's Choice scents it took 3 years to run out. The owner of that company told me it wasn't moving as they'd like it to, But when they move into a new bigger warehouse in May of this year they might reconsider re-ordering them but no promises. If they do I'll buy some and send you so you can review it. The Spice one smells almost the same as Vi-Jon Spice.

I provided a pic so you can see the label and compare it to your Universal ones.
Heres mine:

46120B3F-1280-4A22-9392-EABE2B91C70C.jpegC88396DB-7373-4AAC-84BA-D62C91F5F73A.jpeg

Same description. Same mispelling in Spanish.

Top Bottom