What's new

Dollar Store After Shaves 2020

Hello fellow Badger & Blade members, I am Jesse and I am new here. I am 34 years old and I've been wet shaving since age 17 and my favorite after shave is Skin Bracer Original, But for the past year or year and a half I've been trying to save as much money as possible and I started to get into dollar stores.

Now I know there's old threads here about dollar store after shaves but I have always been the guy who gets late to the party. As they say better late than never right? So I've read all of the old threads on this topic and whenever I get into something it's always too late and most of those products have been long discontinued. So this is my analysis and where each of these products stand in my view.

So let's start! These are my investigations LOL. In Late 2018 I got into dollar stores to save money on hygiene products and I was hooked on Dollar Tree and it has always been around but I've ignored it. So I saw that Dollar Tree in late 2018 had their own brand after shaves the green/blue generic ones. I've tried both and even though I am a green guy the blue smelled better. They didn't burn much if at all but they got the job done after a close shave. I've read here that Dollar Tree back in the day many years ago sold the Blue Cross Labs after shaves but by the time I got into this they were long long gone from Dollar Tree. So fast forward to 2019 Dollar Tree cheapened out on a lot of their own products and the after shaves took a hit they are now 4 oz instead of 5 oz and they smell like pure chemicals aka Made In China.

So I tried searching for the Blue Cross Labs after shaves and I found them in a local private operated dollar store I live in S. FLA. They had the Brisk, Arctic Blue, and Spice but old batches. I tried them all. They burn more than the Dollar Tree ones but not as much as a name brand after shave. Spice was my favorite out of the three. But I still felt razor burn after applying so the healing properties aren't that good. I found Regatta at a wholesaler but old batches as well it's almost the same as the Men's Choice Spice but it has a strange plastic after smell, I don't know if its because it's 3 years old or it just smells that way. I couldn't find Macho anywhere, So I personally contacted Blue Cross Labs and they said Macho and Regatta had been discontinued and the reason I keep finding old batches of the Men's Choice after shaves is because they haven't been manufactured in a long time because the wholesalers don't order them. The wholesalers told me that they don't sell well so they aren't no longer going to carry them. I don't know why Dollar Tree stopped carrying them as well they still carry other Blue Cross Labs products such as body washes and face creams till this day.

Now on to the Dollar General, Family Dollar, CVS, and Big Lot's Vijon after shaves. All they have ATM is the Brut clone at DG/FD it burns well it has plenty of menthol but the issue is the scent it smells like pure chemicals it gave me a head ache I had to wash it off, But I don't think it's made by Vijon anymore at least the bottle doesn't say Vijon underneath it but it's still made in USA. The Barbasol after shaves disappeared from the shelves too no longer carried by DG/Big Lot's. I contacted Barbasol and they told me they still do make the Brisk but Pacific Rush has been discontinued. And that leaves us with the Vijon Spice after shave CVS and FD used to have but it's been long discontinued because I haven't seen it on shelves. I emailed Vijon about it and I received no response.

Now I don't understand why the Spice and the Barbasol after shaves are no longer being carried the old threads about them here made it seem like they sold well and it baffles me. We now barely have much bargain after shaves to choose from. So let me know what you guys think about all of this hopefully in the future they bring some of this stuff back. Don't get me wrong I love name brand after shaves Skin Bracer is my favorite then Brut but it's nice to have very cheap high quality after shaves as well. Thank you guys.

I still have quite a bit of Vijon Old Spice decanted into an Avon bottle. I jettisoned Pacific Rush, did not like the scent. I like Barbasol Brisk, but it's very high in menthol
Awesome! I hope that they bring it back in the future. And I agree with you I myself am not a fan of aquatic scented stuff it doesn't smell bad it's just overused. And I'd like to try Barbasol Brisk since I am a fan of lots of menthol in after shaves.

I've taken to ordering aftershaves from Walgreens. They have free ship to store. Lidl is also a good place for cheap aftershave. Good quality stuff. The bottles aren't huge, but they are $2.75.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Thanks for the post OP. I'll have to keep my eye out for some of the inexpensive dollar store stuff. Dollar General is big in New York State. Wondering what they might stock. Sadly, the selection at many of the drug store chains like CVS, Walgreens, Rite-Aid, etc. has really dried up.

I've taken to ordering aftershaves from Walgreens. They have free ship to store. Lidl is also a good place for cheap aftershave. Good quality stuff. The bottles aren't huge, but they are $2.75.
You order the Barbasol Brisk online from Walgreens right? I think I saw it there on the website. $2.75 isn't bad considering it's Walgreens because they sell pretty expensive, I guess we can buy them from there until Big Lot's or Dollar General carries them again if they ever do. We don't have a Lidl here in S. FLA but we do have Aldi but they don't have after shaves at least here their hygiene section is very limited.

Thanks for the post OP. I'll have to keep my eye out for some of the inexpensive dollar store stuff. Dollar General is big in New York State. Wondering what they might stock. Sadly, the selection at many of the drug store chains like CVS, Walgreens, Rite-Aid, etc. has really dried up.
Yeah, Dollar General is kind of random at times in what they carry you never know what they might have. They also have a dollar section in one of the aisles in the back, It has an assortment of stuff but I haven't seen after shaves in that section even though they have Blue Cross Labs products in that aisle. I ask my self why did Dollar Tree stop carrying after shaves except their own brand which now isn't good at all? Or why doesn't Dollar General already carrying a good variety of dollar products doesn't carry other types of dollar after shaves? We'll never know. CVS, Walgreens, etc used to have a bigger selection of after shaves many years ago but now it's not that good also their prices are outrageous. I discovered 3 years ago the best place to go for after shaves not just price wise but variety wise at the best prices for a regular store would be Wal-Mart bar none.

You order the Barbasol Brisk online from Walgreens right? I think I saw it there on the website. $2.75 isn't bad considering it's Walgreens because they sell pretty expensive, I guess we can buy them from there until Big Lot's or Dollar General carries them again if they ever do. We don't have a Lidl here in S. FLA but we do have Aldi but they don't have after shaves at least here their hygiene section is very limited.
Aldi is no good for that sort of thing, you're right.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Last I looked at the dollar store aftershaves they all showed made in China. I do, when necessary or unavoidable, buy Chinese products but not hygiene products I splash on my face, YMMV.

Last I looked at the dollar store aftershaves they all showed made in China. I do, when necessary or unavoidable, buy Chinese products but not hygiene products I splash on my face, YMMV.
Lol. Yeah the Dollar Tree branded ones are made in China. But the Blue Cross Labs and the DG/FD branded ones are made in USA. How would you feel about using a product dollar store style but made in India or Turkey?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
How would you feel about using a product dollar store style but made in India or Turkey?

I'll stick with my European and US aftershave products. I've used blades and soaps from Turkey and India but that's where I draw the line, Jesse.

I'll stick with my European and US aftershave products. I've used blades and soaps from Turkey and India but that's where I draw the line, Jesse.
Haha I don't blame you. Last month I used a body lotion made in India from a dollar store, It felt fine on my body but once I put my arm on my forehead while going to sleep my entire face started itching and it had a nasty chemical after smell. So this is why I'd love for the made in USA bargain after shaves to come back.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
May I say something about the Dollar Store which is not about ‘Shaving’?

The Dollar Store sells a mouth rinse which costs only $1.00. And it has the same ‘active’ ingredients as Listerine. The Listerine costs $4.00. That is a very good saving.

Welcome to B&B, Sir JesseL26!
Skin Bracer is a great aftershave!
Put it on your Christmas wish list! It would make a perfect gift!!

noxzema merkur mennen skin bracer march 7 2019.jpg

May I say something about the Dollar Store which is not about ‘Shaving’?

The Dollar Store sells a mouth rinse which costs only $1.00. And it has the same ‘active’ ingredients as Listerine. The Listerine costs $4.00. That is a very good saving.
I agree I buy other non shaving stuff at the dollar stores. Good thing those mouthwashes are mostly made in USA/Canada.

A lot of stuff has been disappearing from stores lately, even Dollar stores, which is sad. The ones around me have practically almost nothing now. AV or fake Brut and that's about it.

A lot of stuff has been disappearing from stores lately, even Dollar stores, which is sad. The ones around me have practically almost nothing now. AV or fake Brut and that's about it.

There's only so much production capability in the world for making alcohols, and over the last few months the need for hand sanitizer has been somewhat more important than the need for a variety of cheap aftershave.

OTOH, I've noticed that the production of hand sanitizer has lately exceeded the demand by a considerable margin as we've learned that droplet control seems to be more important than surface cleaning, so maybe things will start to normalize a bit for alcohol-based products over the next few months or so.

Top Bottom