What's new

Dollar Store After Shaves 2020

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I second Lidl for cheap aftershaves. They are outstanding at any price.

I also have a bit of ViJon Spice left. It really is good stuff.

haven’t found any other cheap stuff that cuts the mustard. And I look all the time.

not really a big Stirling fan, but if you want a real authentic vintage old spice aftershave, check out Stirling Spice. Really good. Not too expensive, but certainly not at dollar store pricing.

I bought some dollar store after shaves from a local independent dollar store that's charges more than a dollar for everything -- all different prices but usually less than $2. They literally stink. Made in China. I bought Spice (amber colored), Blue, and Green. Very weak, and they don't smell anything like the brands you might think they are knocking off. If I didn't have a mask on I would have smelled them before I bought them!

I bought some dollar store after shaves from a local independent dollar store that's charges more than a dollar for everything -- all different prices but usually less than $2. They literally stink. Made in China. I bought Spice (amber colored), Blue, and Green. Very weak, and they don't smell anything like the brands you might think they are knocking off. If I didn't have a mask on I would have smelled them before I bought them!
Heres one of the ones I mentioned. If you see it on the shelf, run in the other direction.

Heres one of the ones I mentioned. If you see it on the shelf, run in the other direction.

Ah yes! Universal Distribution. These were the first dollar after shaves I came across along with the Blue Cross Labs Men's Choice ones. Yes private or independent dollar stores down here in S. FL carry the Universal brand after shaves and body washes and etc. They charge like 1.25-2 bucks tops. I know a wholesaler down here that carries them and sells them for 1 buck no more.

I've tried the four after shaves that they manufacture. The Spice one smells nothing like anything Spice I feel it's an error. It actually smells like Aqua Velva Musk very very similar with a bit of a chemical after smell. The green one Brisk smells nothing like Skin Bracer but it smells darn good for a dollar after shave at least leagues ahead of the Dollar Tree Assured brand.

The Blue one Aqua Blue has a hint of the Aqua Velva Blue scent but then transitions to that generic made in China chemical smell. And lastly their sport after shave aka Brut clone, It barely has a smell nor alcohol burn I feel this is manufactured by the same people that Blue Cross Labs had manufacture their now discontinued Macho after shave. It is the same exact scent. So for dollar made in China after shaves these Universal branded ones are the best ones but they suffer the same effect as most dollar after shaves they barely burn nor heal cuts/irritation. And the green one after I used it the scent was either over done or it has some chemical in there the inside of my nostrils burned like if they were peeled, Just from smelling the scent. The scent it self was not bad it's the quality of it.

So like TonyTheRazorMan said yes these after shaves suck, But for made in China legit 1 dollar after shaves I think they are OK. The Dollar Tree Assured ones are 10x worse.

Last edited:
Ah yes! Universal Distribution. These were the first dollar after shaves I came across along with the Blue Cross Labs Men's Choice ones. Yes private or independent dollar stores down here in S. FL carry the Universal brand after shaves and body washes and etc. They charge like 1.25-2 bucks tops. I know a wholesaler down here that carries them and sells them for 1 buck no more.

I've tried the four after shaves that they manufacture. The Spice one smells nothing like anything Spice I feel it's an error. It actually smells like Aqua Velva Musk very very similar with a bit of a chemical after smell. The green one Brisk smells nothing like Skin Bracer but it smells darn good for a dollar after shave at least leagues ahead of the Dollar Tree Assured brand.

The Blue one Aqua Blue has a hint of the Aqua Velva Blue scent but then transitions to that generic made in China chemical smell. And lastly their sport after shave aka Brut clone, It barely has a smell nor alcohol burn I feel this is manufactured by the same people that Blue Cross Labs had manufacture their now discontinued Macho after shave. It is the same exact scent. So for dollar made in China after shaves these Universal branded ones are the best ones but they suffer the same effect as most dollar after shaves they barely burn nor heal cuts/irritation. And the green one after I used it the scent was either over done or it has some chemical in there the inside of my nostrils burned like if they were peeled, Just from smelling the scent. The scent it self was not bad it's the quality of it.

So like TonyTheRazorMan said yes these after shaves suck, But for made in China legit 1 dollar after shaves I think they are OK. The Dollar Tree Assured ones are 10x worse.
Neither are that great, but I thought the Assured was better. But that is not saying much. The only thing good about all of them is that they do contain alcohol and the scent doesnt last very long. So at least you get the antiseptic benefits.

Neither are that great, but I thought the Assured was better. But that is not saying much. The only thing good about all of them is that they do contain alcohol and the scent doesnt last very long. So at least you get the antiseptic benefits.

Yeah I guess so lol. I'm OK with name brand after shaves but sometimes I like some variety and I like to find good cheap stuff. This is why I wish that Vi-Jon and Blue Cross Labs can make their dollar after shaves again because they were all made in USA not China. What is your opinion Tony? Do you think the made in China after shaves are hazardous to your health?

Yeah I guess so lol. I'm OK with name brand after shaves but sometimes I like some variety and I like to find good cheap stuff. This is why I wish that Vi-Jon and Blue Cross Labs can make their dollar after shaves again because they were all made in USA not China. What is your opinion Tony? Do you think the made in China after shaves are hazardous to your health?
No I dont think so.
But this B&B site is hazardous to my wallet!

I never tried Blue Cross Labs. Only ViJon, which also makes the RiteAid Daylogic AV clone. Btw, they also make the store brand alcohol and witch hazel. They all have the ViJon stamp on the bottom.

I even have facial cleanser from 3 different stores stamped ViJon. They are Cetaphil clones. I now get them for $3 for 16oz at Big Lots under the SoundBody brand. Walgreens charges at least twice as much for theirs, but it is still stamped ViJon.

My DG Brut Clone doesnt have the ViJon stamp so I have no idea who makes it.

Some claim that ViJon makes Barbasol Brisk but it is just stamped Barbasol on the bottom.

No I dont think so.
But this B&B site is hazardous to my wallet!

I never tried Blue Cross Labs. Only ViJon, which also makes the RiteAid Daylogic AV clone. Btw, they also make the store brand alcohol and witch hazel. They all have the ViJon stamp on the bottom.

I even have facial cleanser from 3 different stores stamped ViJon. They are Cetaphil clones. I now get them for $3 for 16oz at Big Lots under the SoundBody brand. Walgreens charges at least twice as much for theirs, but it is still stamped ViJon.

My DG Brut Clone doesnt have the ViJon stamp so I have no idea who makes it.

Some claim that ViJon makes Barbasol Brisk but it is just stamped Barbasol on the bottom.

Haha yes this site is addicting, I used to think I was crazy but after seeing the people who are way more obsessed than me about after shaves I guess not. The Blue Cross Labs Men's Choice after shaves are weak like the Universal ones in terms of burn and alcohol potency, But the scents smell better than the Universal ones I guess since they are made in USA. At the end of the day they are both cheap 1 dollar brands.

Speaking of Big Lots I tried their SoundBody brand shave gel, It's supposed to be an Edge knock off for 2 bucks made in China of course. The thickness, lather and scent were way better than Edge, But that's where it ended the ingredients was missing aloe vera something the original Edge has. It left my skin and hands beyond dried worse than if I had used a soap like Dial. So I guess you get what you pay for there.

The best cheap knock off shave gel I've used was Personal Care brand/Assured from Dollar Tree. It's technically the same thing made in the same place but under two diff brands. It was thicker than Edge and had more menthol and only a buck. But all good things come to an end it was reformulated now made in Turkey instead of China and it's thin, it burns my face and smells bad and has no menthol even though the ingredients state so.

I do not like the DG Brut clone sure it works very well both in the alcohol burn and menthol, But the scent once it settles down it smells very chemically it literally gave me a head ache I had to wash it off in the shower.

And about the Barbasol Brisk I have no idea I never got to use it. Once I got into it, It was long gone from the shelves. But I wouldn't be surprised if it was made by Vi-Jon.

Here's an old review I found a while back on the DG clone it had a different name back then but it's the same thing. The guy has the same opinion as me.

Haha yes this site is addicting, I used to think I was crazy but after seeing the people who are way more obsessed than me about after shaves I guess not. The Blue Cross Labs Men's Choice after shaves are weak like the Universal ones in terms of burn and alcohol potency, But the scents smell better than the Universal ones I guess since they are made in USA. At the end of the day they are both cheap 1 dollar brands.

Speaking of Big Lots I tried their SoundBody brand shave gel, It's supposed to be an Edge knock off for 2 bucks made in China of course. The thickness, lather and scent were way better than Edge, But that's where it ended the ingredients was missing aloe vera something the original Edge has. It left my skin and hands beyond dried worse than if I had used a soap like Dial. So I guess you get what you pay for there.

The best cheap knock off shave gel I've used was Personal Care brand/Assured from Dollar Tree. It's technically the same thing made in the same place but under two diff brands. It was thicker than Edge and had more menthol and only a buck. But all good things come to an end it was reformulated now made in Turkey instead of China and it's thin, it burns my face and smells bad and has no menthol even though the ingredients state so.

I do not like the DG Brut clone sure it works very well both in the alcohol burn and menthol, But the scent once it settles down it smells very chemically it literally gave me a head ache I had to wash it off in the shower.

And about the Barbasol Brisk I have no idea I never got to use it. Once I got into it, It was long gone from the shelves. But I wouldn't be surprised if it was made by Vi-Jon.
For DE shaving I only use soaps and cream with a brush. For carts (dont attack me please) I use Barbasol or the Edge clone from Harmon Face Values ( part of Bed Bath and Beyond.)

I get a 20% off coupon from BB&B almost ever week in the mail, and they are of course accepted by Harmon even if they are expired. The emailed coupons must be used by the expiration date. So a combo of Face Values low prices and the coupons allow you to get shaving products, even the brand names, at bargain prices.

I get Barbasol Brisk online from Walgreens, shipped to the store for free. To me it is exactly the same as Skin Bracer, which I also use and get a 7oz bottle from Harmon Face Values.

It is immensely satisfying to find inexpensive products that work well. (Note that I didnt say cheap.😄) I am a big fan of store brands.

Last edited:
I second Lidl for cheap aftershaves. They are outstanding at any price.

I also have a bit of ViJon Spice left. It really is good stuff.

haven’t found any other cheap stuff that cuts the mustard. And I look all the time.

not really a big Stirling fan, but if you want a real authentic vintage old spice aftershave, check out Stirling Spice. Really good. Not too expensive, but certainly not at dollar store pricing.

The Lidl stuff is very good, but now they cost $3 for only 3.5 oz. Still worth it though. I didnt like Defiance at first but it has grown on me.

The Lidl shaving foam is decent for the price but is a tad or 2 below Barbasol in quality. Barbasol is inexpensive enough anyway, even if they did shrink the size sneakily.

For DE shaving I only use soaps and cream with a brush. For carts (dont attack me please) I use Barbasol or the Edge clone from Harmon Face Values ( part of Bed Bath and Beyond.)

I get a 20% off coupon from BB&B almost ever week in the mail, and they are of course accepted by Harmon even if they are expired. The emailed coupons must be used by the expiration date. So a combo of Face Values low prices and the coupons allow you to get shaving products, even the brand names, at bargain prices.

I get Barbasol Brisk online from Walgreens, shipped to the store for free. To me it is exactly the same as Skin Bracer, which I also use and get a 7oz bottle from Harmon Face Values.

It is immensely satisfying to find inexpensive products that work well. (Note that I didnt say cheap.😄) I am a big fan of store brands.

I won't attack you buddy I still use cartridges and canned goop lol. I've been slacking to switch to true lather and safety razor. I use the higher end BIC razors not the cheap ones. I get the 5 bladed BIC Flex to shave my head and the 3 bladed BIC Flex to either shape my beard when I am growing one or for when I shave my face clean. And for canned goop I've used everything under the sun most suck big time.

The best ones I've found for my skin and overall performance are Edge but the gray cap it has oatmeal and allantoin with no fragrance. I can't stand the regular basic available everywhere orange cap Edge shave gel it smells like chemicals and dries my face. After that the Nivea shave gels both regular and cooling are good even better than Edge but I don't like the scent a little too juvenile/strong think Axe or some young boy cologne. And the Gillette shave gels I do not like overpriced not too thick and way too perfumed so perfumed I can taste it in my mouth. It is beyond overrated.

The Lidl stuff is very good, but now they cost $3 for only 3.5 oz. Still worth it though. I didnt like Defiance at first but it has grown on me.

The Lidl shaving foam is decent for the price but is a tad or 2 below Barbasol in quality. Barbasol is inexpensive enough anyway, even if they did shrink the size sneakily.

Down here in S. Fla we have Aldi which is the equivalent to Lidl if I am not mistaken. But the Aldi's here do not carry shaving items except razors.... I also think you could order Barbasol Brisk after shave from the official Barbasol site but the minimum is a QT of 6.

I won't attack you buddy I still use cartridges and canned goop lol. I've been slacking to switch to true lather and safety razor. I use the higher end BIC razors not the cheap ones. I get the 5 bladed BIC Flex to shave my head and the 3 bladed BIC Flex to either shape my beard when I am growing one or for when I shave my face clean. And for canned goop I've used everything under the sun most suck big time.
Yes, I have used those BICs. I have the 2-blade Hybrid Flex thru the 5-blade. In the year since I bought them, I have only tried the 2-blade and liked it. I have been shaving mostly with DEs and SEs.

For canned goop (gel), my issue is that it clogs the razor carts.

Down here in S. Fla we have Aldi which is the equivalent to Lidl if I am not mistaken. But the Aldi's here do not carry shaving items except razors.... I also think you could order Barbasol Brisk after shave from the official Barbasol site but the minimum is a QT of 6.
Plus shipping. :)

We have Aldi here in Jersey as well. I don't think they are affiliated with Lidl. Yes, I went in Aldi just to look for shaving stuff and I believe I only saw the Acura rebranded Personna Disposables. I know they had the triple blade but they might have had twin blade disposables, too.

Lidl sells rebranded Harry's razors under their AllMan brand. Last year they were selling Cien Twin blade carts, about 25 in a pack with one handle. Last time I was there I didn't see it anymore.

I stocked up on Barbasol Brisk recently with a 4 bottle order. I should be set for awhile considering my current bottle bought a year ago is still about half full. I have too many after shaves.

Yes, I have used those BICs. I have the 2-blade Hybrid Flex thru the 5-blade. In the year since I bought them, I have only tried the 2-blade and liked it. I have been shaving mostly with DEs and SEs.

For canned goop (gel), my issue is that it clogs the razor carts.

Plus shipping. :)

We have Aldi here in Jersey as well. I don't think they are affiliated with Lidl. Yes, I went in Aldi just to look for shaving stuff and I believe I only saw the Acura rebranded Personna Disposables. I know they had the triple blade but they might have had twin blade disposables, too.

Lidl sells rebranded Harry's razors under their AllMan brand. Last year they were selling Cien Twin blade carts, about 25 in a pack with one handle. Last time I was there I didn't see it anymore.

I stocked up on Barbasol Brisk recently with a 4 bottle order. I should be set for awhile considering my current bottle bought a year ago is still about half full. I have too many after shaves.

I don't know how you or most members on this forum shave but I have no issue with the clogging of the razors. When a razor gets clogged just open the faucet and put razor under running water and place thumb under the hole where the water comes out of, And it will create some pressure that should instantly clear clogged razors repeat if necessary. I'm tempted to buy me some Barbasol Brisk but I don't want 6 at a time it's too much. The most I buy at a time is 2 after shaves Skin Bracer 7 oz and one cheap dollar one to rotate them. The disposables from Aldi suck they tug and pull hair and you will get very nicked and cut.

I don't know how you or most members on this forum shave but I have no issue with the clogging of the razors. When a razor gets clogged just open the faucet and put razor under running water and place thumb under the hole where the water comes out of, And it will create some pressure that should instantly clear clogged razors repeat if necessary. I'm tempted to buy me some Barbasol Brisk but I don't want 6 at a time it's too much. The most I buy at a time is 2 after shaves Skin Bracer 7 oz and one cheap dollar one to rotate them. The disposables from Aldi suck they tug and pull hair and you will get very nicked and cut.
I rinse every few strokes under hot water at a strong pressure and it usually clears out everything. At the end of the shave sometimes I have to rinse extra long to get it completely clean. Occasionally I need to use a small needle to dislodge the gel, but only at the end of the shave. No issues with canned foam though. I guess I made it sound worse than it really is.

I got the name wrong above. I believe the Aldi brand is Lacura.

Which disposable did you try? The 3 blade I tried under other store brands, but they are all made by Edgewell/Personna. They are actually Personna Tri-Flexxx carts on a disposable handle. They pop right off and fit a Gillette Sensor or Sensor Excel handle perfectly.

Best price by far is at Target under their Up&Up brand. Between $4 and $5 for an 8 pack.

Walgreens online has no minimum order for ship to store. I bought just one Barbasol Brisk last year. No shipping costs.

I rinse every few strokes under hot water at a strong pressure and it usually clears out everything. At the end of the shave sometimes I have to rinse extra long to get it completely clean. Occasionally I need to use a small needle to dislodge the gel, but only at the end of the shave. No issues with canned foam though. I guess I made it sound worse than it really is.

I got the name wrong above. I believe the Aldi brand is Lacura.

Which disposable did you try? The 3 blade I tried under other store brands, but they are all made by Edgewell/Personna. They are actually Personna Tri-Flexxx carts on a disposable handle. They pop right off and fit a Gillette Sensor or Sensor Excel handle perfectly.

Best price by far is at Target under their Up&Up brand. Between $4 and $5 for an 8 pack.

Walgreens online has no minimum order for ship to store. I bought just one Barbasol Brisk last year. No shipping costs.

Yes there you go Lacura is their brand I almsot forgot the name. I've used their 3 bladed disposable one the type you don't replace the head just toss it when it's worn out. I've never had luck with store brand disposables whether it be Target or Walmart they are very bad, But this was many years ago maybe they've improved? But I am fine with the BIC Flex. Yeah for rinsing the razor if you place your finger where the water comes out of the water pressure will come out very thin, and harder that will take care of anything that you won't need to use a needle to dislodge anything at least for me but everyone has their own method.

So today I had to shave my head so I went through my drawers looking for an after shave balm and look what I found I didn't know I had this. I used it after shaving my head and it actually burned me a bit not as good as a name brand after shave but for a dollar store one it's actually not bad gets the job done. Now the scent smells nothing like Aqua Velva but it's OK faint but it's there.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-04-21 at 4.51.28 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-04-21 at 4.51.28 PM.jpeg
    667 KB · Views: 16
Top Bottom