What's new

An Aftershave PIF

After a few years of lurking, I recently became a proper member and had the pleasure of running 2 PIFs (here and here) for some excess gear. For my third (and final for a while) PIF, I am turning to my favorite aspect of wet shaving - aftershaves. This is my favorite forum and I've received so much from it in terms of shaving happiness, that I want to give some back with this PIF.

The Rules
This is open to ConUS residents only to keep shipping simple. Reply to let me know you are "in" and share a little bit about why the PIF interests you or simply what you like like/dislike in aftershaves. My one ask is that the winner post their experience with the PIF aftershaves back in this forum.

The cutoff for entries will be midnight Eastern Time on Friday 2/10. I will pick a winner via random drawing on the following weekend.

The Goods and The Story

$20170113_164402_resized.jpg

Barbasol Pacific Rush
- This is sort of a rare treat since its no longer in production. I bought this at a dollar store in rural Pennsylvania on the way back from a hunting trip. I had to try it, since it was so cheap and got so much good press on B&B. I remember dabbing a little on my wrist and sniffing it as I drove. I used it a few times and it just never "took" with me. It's not offensive and has a serious menthol punch, but it turns out the "aquatic" scents just aren't as interesting to me as other types. This dollar store treasure is far too coveted by many to sit in the back of my collection, so it is into the PIF.

Country Club Southern Oud - I bought this at Pasteur's in New York after having bought Country Club Classic Fougere on an earlier visit. I guess it smelled better to me in the store, but when I used it at home, it was just not for me. According to this thread, it is based on Creed Royal Oud. It has a pretty good amount of menthol and a nice face feel.

AV Ice Sport - After hearing all there raves this gets, I had to try it. I want to like it, but it has just a little too much of a tobacco/leather note to it for my tastes. It is also very close to Nivea Energy, which has a little less of the tobacco/leather note to my nose. With all the love for AV Ice Sport, it seems logical to pass it on so someone will get to enjoy it.

5 Pinaud Samples - Some of these were hits for me and some decidedly were not...

Lime Sec - I was up the middle on this one. I like it quite a bit and it's on my short list for future acquisitions, but Citrus Musk edged it out for a spot in my medicine cabinet.

Citrus Musk - Described (accurately IMHO) as having a clean linen note - I liked this from the start and it's a regular in my summer line up. I am happy to pass along the Citrus Musk joy to a fellow B&B'er

Special Reserve - This is liked by many here and I can see the attraction to this when I take a sniff off the bottle. Some have described its leather and tobacco notes as a cigar in a well worn baseball mitt. Unfortunately, on me it smells like an old leather jacket in a '70s bus depot ash tray. I suspect the lucky winner may fare better.

Clubman Vanilla - This became one of my (and SWMBO's) favorites straight away. I really like it as a more complex take on Clubman. Unlike some, I gravitate to it in the winter, but it's good all year round.

The Veg - As you can see from the amount remaining in the sample, it didn't take long to determine I was definitively NOT chosen. If I had any doubts, SWMBO, the dog, the neighbor's dog, the mailman and a guy who died a week earlier were happy to confirm it for me... Here's your chance to see if you are chosen!

Best of luck, I look forward to your posts and I hope the lucky winner has some fun with these aftershaves!

Bart

Thank you SBMennen for this PIF.

I am in. I really like after shave because of the burning effect they provide me.

Regarding this PIF I always used only Brut after shave so really would like different variety here

Cheers, but not in...still working down my haul from my visit to Japan around New Year's 2016, plus assorted other inventory.

I'm in. Thanks for the opportunity. I've been more into aftershaves recently, as I have been avoiding buying soap for the time being (in order to use what I have).

I'm in.

I'm getting to the point where I want to start checking into different AS to find some that are suitable to me and SWMBO. I love AV Ice Blue, but she doesn't. I like OS, but she doesn't...etc, etc, etc. Would definitely love to sample some of the Pinaud without having to buy a bunch of bottles.

I'm in!
Thank you for offering this, it's awesome!

I've been wetshaving for almost 1 year, and recently started to get into the aftershaves. I don't have many, only a couple Stirling and a Proraso Green.

I've been so curious about the Clubman AS.

Thanks again for opportunity. Good luck all!

"Never trade what you want most, for what you want in the moment."

Sent from the GnomePhone

Not in. The only one I haven't tried is the CC Southern Oud. Out of the ones I have, all but Pacific rush are favorites for me. The AV Sport is my favorite in the whole AV line. And I do love the Veg.

Not in, as scents don't go over well in this house.

I like the level of detail you put into your descriptions of the swag. Very nice.

I am in.
I am fairly new to this. I am still trying to determine whether or not to add to my routine and how. After shaving I put on some witch hazel, then after cleaning up the sink I put on some Nivea balm. I dont put on after shave, because I don't know what it's supposed to replace. Can someone post a link to post shaving skin care routines please.

I am in.
I am fairly new to this. I am still trying to determine whether or not to add to my routine and how. After shaving I put on some witch hazel, then after cleaning up the sink I put on some Nivea balm. I dont put on after shave, because I don't know what it's supposed to replace. Can someone post a link to post shaving skin care routines please.
Welcome

Here is the link http://www.badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=71700

In above link u will fine section for post shaving routine

I'm in!
I have played around with many razors so far, a few blades, and I am just beginning to branch out to different soaps, but my AS experience is limited to burts bees as balm and Addidas pulse.

It's great to see lots of folks who are just getting into aftershaves participating in the PIF!
[MENTION=112581]Mitretnuh[/MENTION]: I think you may find that it's more common for guys to apply aftershave first, then a balm. I actually do the reverse. I apply a balm first (like you, I usually use Nivea), let it absorb a bit, then finish with the aftershave. It feels like this keeps the aftershave scent as the dominant one - at least in my mind. I find the Nivea scent is so mild that it rarely distorts an aftershave and even complements many very nicely (like Skin Bracer).

I'm In.!! I love how the Menthol aftershaves feel on my face and would like to give these a try. I have a small track record of giving honest opinions & reviews. Thanks for offering this PIF. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom