Items by slantman

slantman
0.93 star(s) 14 ratings
Views
Reviews
The Merkur 45 Bakelite is as you might guess an extremely light weight razor topping out at 14 grams. The head appears to be designed after the Progress and uses the same blade bend. The aggressiveness is about a #3 on a Progress. This is a 3 piece razor which is not quite all plastic as the bottom plate screw appears to be brass. The blade snugs down nice and even so no concerns there. I could easily get away with 2 passes but I do 3 as a matter of habit. There is nothing left of my beard...
If you like your face frozen and menthol is one of your favorite fragrances then you are definitely going to love this stuff. Imported from Curacao and sold primarily at Caribbean food stores and outlets (and online) this is a cheapo way to satisfy those needs. Putting this bottle next to Skin Bracer I could not tell the difference however, it has much more menthol then Skin Bracer and longer lasting. The ingredients are alcohol,menthol,fragrance and water. I imagine there are other products...
slantman
3.67 star(s) 9 ratings
Views
Reviews
I was using this great shave cream off and on at home but since I am away for a family health matter this is the only thing I took along. I am not sure what scent or packaging has to do with it but I can attest this stuff is excellent. Made in Belgium by Palmolive I find it to be thick like tooth paste and I cannot detect a definitive scent. But who cares. Because of limited space in my temporary home away from home I apply a dab directly to a nice wet and hot badger and face lather. There...
slantman
1.33 star(s) 3 ratings
Views
Reviews
I recently acquired this compact Merkur travel razor from WCS. At $28 its priced very low compared to other sites I visited. The only model they had in stock at the time was the open comb so why not. Its extremely compact(smaller then a Feather Portable cased) and came in a leather case that seemed very appealing to me. I had to try it out like any new toy I get. If you have very large hands I don't think this will work for you. The is 4 pieces with the handle screwed together and then...
I bought a small hand made mug from Nana June's Naturals and was given a choice of a melt and pour shave soap at no additional charge. I chose the Citrus Wakeup. The shave bowl with the soap was delivered several days later. The bowl is small but perfect for me. This soap lathers like a champ. I submerged the bowl and brush about 2 minutes then drained. Unbelievable thick lather that sticks to your face and provides a great cushion. This soap is the glycerin type with added clay and other...
I recently acquired a complete mint Gem Micromatic with the "Guiding Eye" which included a fairly nice case,2 brass blade holders and 5 each Gem reversible blades and Gem single edge Micromatic blades. I tried each blade and they are definitely carbon never used in their original wrapper. The shave was rough at the least. Also included folded neatly was the original instruction sheet. Getting to the actual shaves. I used 2 different blades. First up was a stainless coated. The idea with the...
slantman
1.00 star(s) 5 ratings
Views
Reviews
I recently won this beauty on the Bay and paid under $19 including shipping. The seller said it appeared the razor was never used and I agree. It came with 4 original "reversible" blades(double edge) which I think Gem was trying to compete with Gillette at the time. Now to the shaves. I skipped the original blades and used a Gem stainless. You must make sure the sharp end of the blade are under the two hooks on either end of the razor to insure proper angle. This razor works just like any...
Warning: Do not buy or use these blades unless its for your utility knife. I picked these up at Sweet Bay supermarket part of the Hannaford Bros chain. They were located in the razor blade section. The package clearing says stainless steel and very sharp. Well I was warned about trying these blades by fellow members but I had to try them for myself. This is the worst of the worst. They dragged across my face as if they were used 15 times already. Terrible terrible. I immediately replaced...
I had mentioned that I recently bought this from my local Publix and was giving it a try. Someone mentioned doing a review and I finally completed it. In order to be fair I think you have to use a product for a while and thats exactly what I did. I used Barbasol after shave balm every day in place of my usual pure aloe and a either after shave or cologne. I even took it on a weekend trip and used it exclusively. This stuff does nothing for me except smell OK for several minutes. Even so it...
slantman
0.64 star(s) 11 ratings
Views
Reviews
Recently received this as a part of my rad and wanting to give Parker and their TTOs another chance to redeem themselves. This is the latest version of their tto lineup as 2010 make-overs or new more aggressive heads and built heavier and stronger. This particular razor weighs a tad under 92 grams which is fairly heavy. Very nicely finished in chrome over brass. The blade fits in evenly and closes tightly with no rattles( I hate rattles). I have used various blades including sharks but this...
Let me start off by saying this is the most aggressive razor I have ever used but at the same time produces the closest shave I have ever experienced. Now I am not saying this lightly because I have used almost all of them. The head is slanted down at a sharp angle and has a large blade exposure. And its open comb to boot. I understand Parker stopped making this razor 3 years ago. I got mine from the Shave Shack in the UK. I think they bought out all these razors because nobody else is...
slantman
2.50 star(s) 2 ratings
Views
Reviews
I recently purchased this new model razor from Howie at Super Safety Razor but he also sells on eBay known as Howie1616. Howie knows everything about Parkers including their latest developments. OK now to the good stuff. The 65R has a new head(exclusive to this model) which resembles the Progress. Eventually according to Howie all the 3 piece razors from Parker will have this head and they are changing their TTO as well. When I received it several days ago I couldn't wait so I promptly...
I have been using Noxzema Medicated Shave Cream for about 2 months and find it to be the best of the best in its category. It beats any other canned junk and all gels. What impresses me most is the ingredients, aloe,glycerin and lanolin among other things. I do 3 passes each morning and can tell you the razor glides. I have been using injectors and my 11C open comb without any problem. So there you have it. You can snicker all you want but I think its the best thing since sliced bread. I...
Since I recently got back into injectors the fastest way for me to get injector blades was go down to my local CVS store and buy a package. They cost me $4.99 for 11 blades. The first injector razor I used was a Schick 1939 gold razor with the caramel handle. The last time I used an injector on a regular basis was in the 60s and probably used Schick blades. What a shock using these blades. I mean the shave was smooth,irritation free and quick. I got about 8 shaves out of the first blade. I...
slantman
1.25 star(s) 4 ratings
Views
Reviews
I recently received this beautiful brush from Scott at his store Rasage Poulin located in Calgary. This is an extremely soft silvertip rather small brush that thinks its grown up. The knot is 22mm, loft 57mm and the handle(oak) is 55mm. I am strictly using soaps at this time and having no problem making rich and large amounts of lather good for 3-4 passes. The actual conversion price to US currency is only about $59 a bargain for such a wonderful easy to use brush. And this brush is made in...
Jet Homme is the male version cologne made by Avon. My wife gaves me samples of men's cologne and aftershaves when the Avon lady delivers her stuff. Out of all the samples I tried this was abolutely the best. It contains bergamont and "fig" which when mixed together is a lot different then your average colognes. And the price was right. We just ordered two more bottles as they were on sale 2 for the price of one.
I finally got to use this brush which arrived last week but I was away and just got back last night. This is a paela burl wood handle silvertip badger bought from PC Woodcraft & Pens. What a beautiful and more important functional brush. The hair is 24mm and total length 5 1/2 in long. The handle is very comfortable to hold even when wet. I was using TSD sweetgrass soap mixed in a hand made clay bowl I bought directly from Muhle. In 30 seconds I made hot lather good enough for 3 passes. I...
I purchased this clay shaving bowl directly from Muhle in Germany as part of a package so the price was lower then stated in their online catalog. This bowl is hand fired and the company that makes it for them has been in business several hundred years. The performance is outstanding as I mixed up soap to a quick warm lather with ease. The bowl is nice and light weight. So far all their products I have bought are outstanding and not expensive when you consider quality.
I received this new version of the Muhle R-41 as part of a package directly from Muhle in Germany. What a beautiful razor. What surprised me was it was light and the handle is longer then the old R-41 or R89. Longer then the HD 11C. The head is identical to the 11C but the screw is shorter. The shave was superb doing 3 passes wtg,atg,wtg. I used the new clay bowl that came with the set(but thats another review) This razor has it all,weight,balance,grip. I am not sure exactly how much it cost...
Top Bottom