What's new

🐽 🐷 🐖 🐗 DecemBOAR 2022!!! Only Boar Brushes for all of December! 🐽 🐷 🐖 🐗

Shave 4 is in the books.

Changed it up an used my Semogue Butterscotch SOC Boar. It took forever to break in (through use) but once it was tamed it has become a fantastic brush.

Impossibly soft brushes & slightly floppy & Martin de Candre = amazing face lathering.

My MicroMatic Open Comb: Bumpless (BMMOC) dispatched all my whiskers with aplomb. A great razor.

Finished with Captain’s Choice Nor’Easter for an excellent shave.
CBF119AE-F3C8-44C7-AF02-49F98B7718D9.jpeg

16D0A704-6F1A-4846-9771-945B24A59A82.jpeg

Shave 4 is in the books.

Changed it up an used my Semogue Butterscotch SOC Boar. It took forever to break in (through use) but once it was tamed it has become a fantastic brush.

Impossibly soft brushes & slightly floppy & Martin de Candre = amazing face lathering.

My MicroMatic Open Comb: Bumpless (BMMOC) dispatched all my whiskers with aplomb. A great razor.

Finished with Captain’s Choice Nor’Easter for an excellent shave.
View attachment 1566869

View attachment 1566870

The Butterscotch color combined with the SOC handle, it's near perfect to me.

How many shaves it took until you felt that was about broken in?

Skipped Saturday. Todays shave: Stirling boar brush brand new. Soaked for 30 seconds wet face rubbed PAA mentholated cube 2.0 and shaved with Fatip gold open comb Slant with the short solid picollo handle. Quick 2 pass Shave with my old Lab Blues blade. Funny how last shave the blade felt great in the Yates but started feeling tougher in the FOCS. Still nice shave.

View attachment 1566763
Best wishes to you! I bought one of these last year, but it was in the bargain bin. The knot makes for a nice hand brush for counter tops! I really hope yours is better! I removed the knot and all is good now. Hopefully my odd humor is received well, as I don't want to disrespect your purchase! The handle alone is worth the price, a classic!

View attachment 1566818

Jade right after loading it. I noticed the prickly-ness less, seems to always happen like that, first shave on this brush, prickle to the max. Then less so on subsequent shaves. I'm at the point on my arko puck that its a smear on the bottom of my mug. I can still get lather but... its tempting to scrape off and start anew. Feels wasteful though.
Isn't it funny how we feel that, yet, if you are within the B&B normalcy curve like me, I have enough soap to last forever! Yet I worry about "double dipping" during the shave! :w00t:

Send me a message and I’ll send you a Solar Flare and a few other incredibly soft synthetic brushes that should help out the face lathering.
And that's what makes this a great place!

Man, this is what a community should be.

Really good attitude, that probably will change the way that our friend shaves, for the rest of his life.

Congrats! :clap:
Exactly!

DECEMBOAR, Day 4

View attachment 1566858

A nice and dramafree shave with the Omega 11148. She whipped up a slick lather like nobody's business. I really enjoyed this scrubby piggy today.🐷 👌

Enjoy your Sunday, y'all!
Youz guyz with the color coordinated photos aren't helping my inferiority complex! :letterk1:

Best wishes to you! I bought one of these last year, but it was in the bargain bin. The knot makes for a nice hand brush for counter tops! I really hope yours is better! I removed the knot and all is good now. Hopefully my odd humor is received well, as I don't want to disrespect your purchase! The handle alone is worth the price, a classic!
Brush seemed fine on it's first maiden voyage. Didn't seem too floppy or too scritchy. Seemed soft for the first shave and not broken in. One hair shed from it. I think mine will be fine to join the rotation. What didn't you like about yours you got from the bargain bin?

Today’s shave

Preshave: From Slock’s mad scientist lab Slock’s universal, certified soon to be internationally famous proprietary shaving oil blend.

Razor: Gillette Pre-war Canadian tech
Blade: Bic
Soap/cream: Fine Accoutrements Santal Absolut
Brush: Semogue 1305 DecemBOAR!
Balm Neutrogena Hydro Boost Face Moisturizer with Hyaluronic Acid

Aftershave: Fine Accoutrements Santal Absolut

Stately BBS
1305 brush.jpg

Brush seemed fine on it's first maiden voyage. Didn't seem too floppy or too scritchy. Seemed soft for the first shave and not broken in. One hair shed from it. I think mine will be fine to join the rotation. What didn't you like about yours you got from the bargain bin?
It was like a stiff old broomstick! Another guy and I each bought one and man, it was rough. After soaking for hours, if not days, it still felt like rubbing sandpaper across your face. I seem to recall Rod commenting that they were not up to his standards and that was why they were on the bargain page. I could have that wrong, but the point is that both Dave and I pulled the knots and used the handles for other knots. Mine will make an appearance later this month in the DecemBoar thread. I am not a fan of scritch, nor of too much backbone (because I lack one?!), so the original knot I received was not to my preference.

This is what I have been using for the last week.IMG_20221204_170304.jpg
The soap is What the Puck lime that I have had since November 2018 and I decided to 3017 it since the original container broke (I put the Puck into an old Grafton Barber soap tub).

The razor is a Carl Grah made in Solingen.

The brush is the same no name boar I have been using almost daily for about 10 years. I have another of the same when this one eventually wears out.

Next week, I'll change the razor.

It was like a stiff old broomstick! Another guy and I each bought one and man, it was rough. After soaking for hours, if not days, it still felt like rubbing sandpaper across your face. I seem to recall Rod commenting that they were not up to his standards and that was why they were on the bargain page. I could have that wrong, but the point is that both Dave and I pulled the knots and used the handles for other knots. Mine will make an appearance later this month in the DecemBoar thread. I am not a fan of scritch, nor of too much backbone (because I lack one?!), so the original knot I received was not to my preference.
Knowing me, I would have probably liked that broomstick scritch and may have moved up to my #1 spot. :)

Knowing me, I would have probably liked that broomstick scritch and may have moved up to my #1 spot. :)
I took a closer look at the photo and went to the Stirling page, and it looks like a bulb knot. The Sale Bin brush was a fan, flat across the top. This one looks very nice and dense, and mine was a not as tightly packed. So, know I am thing, Do I need another boar?! Hmmm

DecemBoar 4th

View attachment 1566886

Funny (to me!) is that last week I used a vintage Tech with the new German Reds, and this week it's a modern razor with the vintage Israeli Reds.

Ever-Ready 150 with the Maggard Razors Premium 24mm boar. Dee-light-full shave!

The Overlander is a damn shaver...I tried one a couple weeks ago and I felt in love with it at the first pass. It's literally an auto-pilot razor. You can shave with eyes shut with it!

The Butterscotch color combined with the SOC handle, it's near perfect to me.

How many shaves it took until you felt that was about broken in?
It went through a few stages.
Stage 1: Pretty Soft, a few bristles split right away, lather hog.
Stage 2: Softness improved, bristles splitting more, getting a little better with giving up the lather.
Stage 3: The most frustrating stage! Soft with lots of split bristles but boy oh boy did it eat lather. At this point (probably 30-40 shaves) I was ready to give up. But it’s such a gorgeous brush, I just endured. (I think as more and more bristles split, increasing the surface area, it was eating lather/refusing to give it up.
Stage 4 -present: many split bristles, very soft with no scritchy or pokey bristles, a little floppy, but gives up lather and is joyful to use. (About 50 shaves to reach Stage 4)

The SOC is very different then my Omega Pro Boars, it has less backbone, an incredible handle, and shorter lift/smaller knot diameter.

I embrace it for it’s differences. It’s a wonderful brush.

It went through a few stages.
Stage 1: Pretty Soft, a few bristles split right away, lather hog.
Stage 2: Softness improved, bristles splitting more, getting a little better with giving up the lather.
Stage 3: The most frustrating stage! Soft with lots of split bristles but boy oh boy did it eat lather. At this point (probably 30-40 shaves) I was ready to give up. But it’s such a gorgeous brush, I just endured. (I think as more and more bristles split, increasing the surface area, it was eating lather/refusing to give it up.
Stage 4 -present: many split bristles, very soft with no scritchy or pokey bristles, a little floppy, but gives up lather and is joyful to use. (About 50 shaves to reach Stage 4)

The SOC is very different then my Omega Pro Boars, it has less backbone, an incredible handle, and shorter lift/smaller knot diameter.

I embrace it for it’s differences. It’s a wonderful brush.
I'm pretty much stuck at the Stage 3, and it's been a while tbh. But, I won't give up on it, because I really like the knot itself, and the way that the handle fits into my hand.

Thank you for your insight! :thumbup1:

Top Bottom