What's new

🐽 🐷 🐖 🐗 DecemBOAR 2022!!! Only Boar Brushes for all of December! 🐽 🐷 🐖 🐗

SOC boar today. It's a wonderfully soft brush, but I sure wish it was denser. So far this month, the SOC is the 4th different brush I've used & is #3 or #4 in my unofficial rankings. Don't get me wrong though, the SOC is a marvelous brush! I didn't know I was going to rank the brushes as I used them. I think I'm just assessing each brush as I use it & comparing them to each other. After using a few more brushes I'm sure the rankings are going to get very muddied!!
IMG_4486.jpg

Last edited:
I'm just curious, how does the anvil fit into your shave routine 🤣

If it was bigger, I could bang my head on it when I let a day escape without a luxurious, relaxing shave.

As it is, I can use it in delicate straight razor pin work, with my lightest hammers.

And it is a fine support/prop for the all-important photographic evidence, proving that I at least own some traditional shaving gear. I swear, I will soon declare independence and shave my jawline again. Irredentism lives in the ongoing battle with the LOTH's attempted hegemony over the beard lines!

8E17A61C-D4B3-434D-AFAE-9CF18AA77D5E.png
Meanwhile, back in the den I did hold the Boar Flag high in my Saturday after dinner shave:
E6038368-B6D0-4B5E-97F4-25BFECB30129.jpeg

Red Omega 10065 is getting broken in by doing my pre-shave menthol/glycerin massage with the juiced/stickified Col. Ichabod Conk Lime.

Omega 10005 guilted me into an appearance, even though my consulting phrenologist is severely prejudiced in favor of the Omega persian jar profile.

3rd shave of decemboar.

Lather: body shop macca root
Brush: omega 11126

BSMR must be one of the nicer creams I have.

Scooped out a nice blob, and poked it into the soaking wet bristles. Lathered it on my face. Washing my fingers of the cream made me realise just how slick it was. And it has a nice neutral but very pleasant scent.

Lathered really nicely, made me realise I put way too much cream on but meh.

I think tomorrow I may use macca root again but instead of placing it in the brush, rubbing it into my face before lathering, and I think that will work well.

Very smooth shave, no irritation. I would recommend body shop shaving cream to any one reading this.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Face lathering steps up the shave in so many notches above a bowl lathering that I don't understand why people prefer the bowl method.
I do understand that while building the lather on a bowl, you can built it in a better way, and have a better lather at the end, or even if you use a scuttle, you can have a warm lather on your face, which could be pleasant on colder and freezing days.
But by face lathering, you work your face in a manner that it's almost impossible if you just apply the lather after building it on a bowl. The face becomes softer, and the razor just glides over the bristles almost without effort and that leads to better shaves, and less skin irritation.

For me, was a game changer when I tried it for the first time, and guess what? Since that day, I NEVER used a bowl to build a lather again (just to load some soap samples).
Different strokes for different folks. No one way of doing things will meet everyone's needs.

Bet you dollars to donuts that there are plenty of bowl latherers out there who don't understand why anyone would want to face lather. ;)

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
SOTD

Razor:
Ti95OC with @Rosseforp GTCB handle
Blade: 7 O'Clock Black (6) Ninja side down
Brush: Omega 10290
Soap: Shave Chaser CK-6
ASL: Shave Chaser
20221204_114948[1].jpg

What a difference a baseplate makes. Working on five days of stubble, today's noon shave was absolute bliss.

The little orange Omega whipped up an astonishing amount of freakin' awesome lather in my Captain's Choice bowl and I could tell on the first downward stroke of the Ti95OC that I was in the comfort zone.

I spent a good amount of time on the first pass as the Ti95 just wanted to keep removing stubble on each successive buffing stroke, the blade feel minimal but there.
The soft endearing feel of the titanium is so much more present with the open comb than it is with the SB, I just wanted to keep shaving.

The second ATG pass was just as comfortable as the WTG pass, the Ti95 begging me to keep shaving so I did. Not with reckless abandon mind you, but every direction that can be imagined and maybe a few more.
I freestyled on the ATG and came away unscathed so I lathered up with the orange Omega, still full with a voluminous amazing amount of lather, and went for a third pass, mostly WTG and just kept shaving and shaving until there was nothing left to shave.

And I mean nothing.

I completely forgot the Witch hazel my face felt so wonderful after the shave and steeped in the Menthol coolness the Shave Chaser delivers, then the Witch hazel, another splash of Shave Chaser then Nivea balm to put the finishing touch on the best shave I have had in a long, long time.

Yeah, this was a Damn Comfortable Shave.

~doug~

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
DecemBOAR 2022
20221204_114342~2.jpg

Razor: @Blackland Razors Ti Vector SB (@Rosseforp GTC 25g Handle)
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (1)
Brush: Zenith B34 Butterscotch Chubby
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Le Père Lucien Oud-Santal
Aftershave: RazoRock Tuscan Oud
Fragrance: Classic Match Oud EdT Spray

Superb shave! :cool:
20221204_114438~2.jpg

Please check out full notes on my shaves plus comments, rankings and other stuff in my Journal: never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-12035954

🐖🐷 DecemBOAR! 4 -- Sunday Evening Edition 🐷🐖

Razor
: Schick J injector
Blade: sChick
Brush: Omega 48
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
A/S: Barrister & Mann - Baudelaire balm

View attachment 1567145
How is your 48?

Il bet its fantastic at loading the MWF. And the lathering.

For me the breaking in seems to have stalled. Still a bit scratchy compared to others brushes I have had for less time.

I suspect patients is the key.

How is your 48?

Il bet its fantastic at loading the MWF. And the lathering.

For me the breaking in seems to have stalled. Still a bit scratchy compared to others brushes I have had for less time.

I suspect patients is the key.
The two long bristle brushes I have are very soft and comfortable. Yes, patience is key. The black handled one was my first brush. After initial breakin, I ignored it for a while. When I came back to it, I was astounded by how soft it became. Tonight’s 48 was a gift from @Chef455 so I don’t know how old it is. But it is indeed a great performer.

I have a couple of the Omega short bristle brushes, but the bristles never split and they never became soft. I save those for stronger scented soaps so the scent does not linger in my preferred brushes.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
After initial breakin, I ignored it for a while. When I came back to it, I was astounded by how soft it became.
I am finding that with my boars also. The seem to improve when ignored. My Omega 49 had been a notorious lather hog for over three years, and all of a sudden it is making glorious bountiful lather after letting it sit idle for a full year.

~doug~

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
My 2nd shave of 🐗 Decemboar on the fourth day of ❄️ December.

20221204_145205.jpg

Omega 49 Pro
PAA Chocolate Bourbon in a bowl
King C Gillette w/ 🪶

A tad frustrated with the Omega. This brush is pretty darn floppy. It is well broken in, however.
20221204_203344.jpg

I only have two boars to my name, so I'll just continue to go back and forth between them. Happy shaves all!!!

Can I ask why do you use that specific order on the post-shave routine?
Yes you may.

When finished shaving I do a cold water rinse to wash off the remaining soap. I then use alum to sanitize my skin and to help deal with any weepers. I do this with my face on the wet side. I don't show it but I use a small hand-held fan to help speed up the process of drying the Alum rub and because it's cooling and feels good.

Once the alum has dried, I like to use some witch hazel as it helps to readjust the pH level of my skin. I actually rub the witch hazel all over my face including my forehead and nose areas. I again use my fan because with the menthol and eucalyptus in it, the increased air flow really gives me a nice (small) bit of cooling. It doesn't have much in it but it's still nice.

The witch hazel dries pretty quickly so I then apply my aftershave. I do this because I love the alcohol sting and because I'm a huge frag head and love smelling good.

The Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream Extra-Dry is my secret post shave weapon. I'm not the only one that touts how good this stuff is but to me it makes my skin feel like I hadn't even shaved. It just soothes very well. It's also scentless so my aftershave scent still comes though.

I hope this helps you to understand why I do what I do and why I do it in this order.

DecemBOAR Shave 2

1670218267241.png

I used my spanking new Omega Jade for tonight's Decemboar shave. This has had 3 wet/dry cycles and I'd never shaved with it until today. Great shave!! It's not scritchy at all, but it's MUCH firmer than the B&B Essential Boar. I enjoyed using it, but I suspect I'll enjoy it more 30-40 shaves from now as the tips split and it becomes a bit easier to splay. That's a big handle on the Jade, it's really comfortable.

Using a stick to face lather this new boar, I wondered how much lather it could really give me. I only did a two pass shave, but I did a 3rd lather just to see if it was holding that much - it was!! Barely, perhaps, but I was surprised, the B&B didn't pass that test as well. Face lathering with the Jade was a little more of an effort than with the B&B due to the serious stiffness, however neither brush is broken in at all and it seems early to draw conclusions or comparisons yet. The Jade's knot seems big in comparison to the B&B, and coarser perhaps? It looks unbleached, compared to the B&B knot which I think is bleached.
I'm looking forward to getting to know this brush better as it gracefully matures. Like me. :punk:

The Mongo soap sample was a gift from a member, perhaps half of a ounce. It's a really hard soap and will likely last quite a while. It worked really well for face lathering, seemed to build up fast and has a very mild soapy barbershop scent.

And I love my birth year SuperAdjustable so much. I'm really enjoying setting 5. Thank you again @mgweatherly, you are a true gentleman and scholar to spontaneously offer such a gift. This Black Beauty is winning the razor Royal Rumble of my heart right now, getting a nice a table drop on the birth year SuperSpeed that was the reigning champ.

dudley boyz wrestling GIF by WWE

Honorary shave for GongGong - Doug's @Rosseforp late father-in-law. May he play MahJong in peace with his buddies.

Date
365 days of shaving342/338
(100%)
GRUME December5/31 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 2/3
Timor 2/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes2 and touch up pass (XTG)
WXTGCB Curve
(NW-SE curving to NE-SW | cheeks and neck)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Mühle R41
Timeless Ti95 SC
Timor (6)
Eddison (11)
Omega Proraso
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Geen
Dutchy Bergamot
Proraso
Cold splash
Floïds the Genuine (AS)
Nivea Sensitive (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
9/10 (~20 minutes)9.5/10 (Small weeper on the right side of the road)
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS)
8/10 (Smoothish)

Notes to today’s shave:

For this honorary shave I brought out the big guns. The R41 took the lead for the first pass. The Timeless took the excellent first pass over the BBS finish line together with the Eddison blade.

The Omega boar was hungry again this morning and lathering up was proving more of a challenge than usual. My boar is super soft with just enough backbone. A joy to use.

Floïd's was nice and Nivea was nourishing. Nice kickstart of the week!

Enjoy your day!

Additional shave notes can be found here

Top Bottom