What's new

🐽 🐷 🐖 🐗 DecemBOAR 2022!!! Only Boar Brushes for all of December! 🐽 🐷 🐖 🐗

Had a great shave this morning with the Omega Boar Brush and some Wool Fat. After softening my beard with a hot towel, I prep with the Dead Sea Soap and aloe vera juice :adoration: The little spray bottle of aloe vera comes in really handy post shave and/or any time I want to add a little moisture during the shave.
1670175377605.png

Last edited:
Stage 3 is no fun. Perseverance is the only way to “fix” it. The Mantra “load it like you hate it” help and let’s you get more awesome soaps.

That's quite an excuse! 😂

My gf: "Honey, what's that big package that came in the mail today?"
Me: "Oh, don't worry! It's a treatment for an older brush that eats lather like crazy"
My gf: "Yeah, but 10 soaps?!?!"

Jimmy Fallon Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
If your brush is eating lather, try Martin de Candre or a pure coconut oil soap/cream. MdC can fill up a broom.

Decemboar 4th and Spanish Sunday. The Semogue Galahad is similar in size and shape to the Zenith biar that I used yesterday, but the knots are different. The Semogue is denser with a bit more backbone (but not as much as the SOC), while the Zenith is less dense and a little more limber. Both are winners. Soap was La Toja, AS Myrsol Blue, and the razor a fine examp,e of a Filarmonica 14 Novodur.

2B41A3CE-1AAB-4D5D-B9B6-8B5AEDA32885.jpeg

Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: GSB (4)
Soap: Proraso Blue Cream
Brush: Semogue 1305 (1st shave)
AS: clubman pinaud virgin island bay rum + Nivea Moisturizing cream + Dove Men+Care

IMG-0579.jpg

First shave ever with both the razor and the brush, I wish I could say an amazing shave but that would be a lie. Overly dry skin as played a number on that shave with a bunch of nicks and post shave irritation hence the double dose of AS balm to help the face.

The razor was set on 1 for the right and 2 for the left on the WTG and XTG, ATG was done on 1 and endless to say this helped with the neck part of the shave clean up. I will keep playing with it for the foreseeable future, I have still a large stash of test blade to try so that will be put through its pace with a wide array of blade

Now, here are the picture of the star of the month on this thread (at least when it comes to my own shaving den)

It was dunked in hot water during the shower, released a bit of yellow tint to said hot water and did not delivered that much lather on the last pass, today was face lathering with the usual amount of cream out of the tube.

IMG-0580.jpg
IMG-0582.jpg

Decemboar 4th, a leisurely and relaxing Sunday shave. Two passes with some cleanup, no mishaps and tremendously satisfying, BBS, 10/10:

Razor: Occam's Artist Club
Blade: Feather AC Pro (4)- blade is just right now, still sharp, but not harsh
Lather: PAA CK-6 Future Fiction stick- very nice scent and terrific performance; it fits nicely inside the pill bottle for travel
Brush: Zenith unbleached boar- a fun $8 brush
Post: cool rinse, and an healthy splash of some Captain's Choice AS for a great finish

Enjoy the week ahead and have some awesome shaves!

PXL_20221204_192618159.PORTRAIT.jpg

Decemboar 4th, a leisurely and relaxing Sunday shave. Two passes with some cleanup, no mishaps and tremendously satisfying, BBS, 10/10:

Razor: Occam's Artist Club
Blade: Feather AC Pro (4)- blade is just right now, still sharp, but not harsh
Lather: PAA CK-6 Future Fiction stick- very nice scent and terrific performance; it fits nicely inside the pill bottle for travel
Brush: Zenith unbleached boar- a fun $8 brush
Post: cool rinse, and an healthy splash of some Captain's Choice AS for a great finish

Enjoy the week ahead and have some awesome shaves!

View attachment 1566992

I do find that using a stick, it's the perfect way to load the correct and necessary amount of soap for a shave. When I use La Toja stick or Derby on stick, the lather it's flawless! I wish I could do the same thing to many of my soaps.

:thumbup1:

The only difference from my last shave is the brush. With my limited taste in boars, SOC is easily my favorite. Even though it was my first shave with this brush, it was so luxurious. I realized how much I missed my SOC, and how on earth did I sell it in the first place? I ordered another in cherry wood immediately :) Honestly, I can only have my SOC boars and be done for life. But no, I have around 30 brushes. Good shaves everyone.

P.S. Yes, it eats a ton of lather, and yes I return to the soap for each pass but I'm not in the "preserve thy soap" business, I'm in the "shaving joy and comfort" business. So I don't care. I have tons of soap to burn through anyway and this brush is helping me in that department also.

IMG_20221204_230057.jpg

Decemboar 4th.
Today was a head shave only. Giving my lovely cheeks a break today. That Zenith brush, "The Big One" is AWESOME! I merely cleaned it last night in the ultra sonic, bowl lathered it up and rinsed it in the ultra sonic, rinsed in again under running water on my palm, and dried it with a small desk fan for several hours. It lathered like a pro with its first shave!
PXL_20221204_203700182.jpg

PXL_20221204_201151180.jpg

E780CE39-E4A7-49AC-AA7B-EB1E750E0E43.jpeg

Single Edge Sunday / DecemBoar

Pre: P.A.A. Cube 2.0 w/ Cube Dock

Razor: T.R. Cadman & Sons "Bengall"
Razor: Type M2 "Adjustable by Schick" Injector Razor
Blade: sChick Injector

Soap: Stirling Soap Company Light-Ish Red
Brush: Omega Boar 10005/80005
Bowl: Bluff Cove Pottery

Post 1: P.A.A. Alum No-Slip Grip System w/ Dry Dock System
Post 2: Dickinson's Enhanced Witch Hazel Deep Cleansing Astringent w/ Menthol & Eucalyptus
Aftershave: Stirling Soap Company Light-Ish Red
Post 4: Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream Extra-Dry w/ Hyaluronic Acid
Finish: Stirling Soap Company Light-Ish Red

Today's shave went very well. Again, I followed a with-the-grain pass with an across-the-grain pass on my face and an against-the-grain pass on my neck.

I feel like I'm getting a little better using the straight razor with each go around and am advancing with using it for more angles and passes. It's a journey to say the least. I'm having a good time with it all so this learning experience has been an enjoyable one.

I followed up the straight razor usage with a Schick Type M2 Injector razor using a brand new sChick blade. This thing is a real joy to use. It's smooth, efficient and super easy to use. I had the dial set to 4 which is right in the middle of its adjustable and proceeded to do my final against-the-grain pass.

With the Omega boar and the Stirling Soap Company Light-Ish Red soap I whipped up some glorious lather. Oh man, let me tell you, the scent on this one is just flat out a 10 / 10! On a personal level, I just love this one and don't ever want to be without it. Mmm. It's just heavenly to me.

I finished things off with some matching aftershave and EdT and am as happy as one can be after a glorious Sunday shave while listening to the Beatles.

Alright my good gentlemen, that's it for today. Take care and enjoy your shaves!

The only difference from my last shave is the brush. With my limited taste in boars, SOC is easily my favorite. Even though it was my first shave with this brush, it was so luxurious. I realized how much I missed my SOC, and how on earth did I sell it in the first place? I ordered another in cherry wood immediately :) Honestly, I can only have my SOC boars and be done for life. But no, I have around 30 brushes. Good shaves everyone.

P.S. Yes, it eats a ton of lather, and yes I return to the soap for each pass but I'm not in the "preserve thy soap" business, I'm in the "shaving joy and comfort" business. So I don't care. I have tons of soap to burn through anyway and this brush is helping me in that department also.
Exactly how I felt with my first shave with a new out of the box SOC cherrywood. But I have been remiss and not ordered more or backups! I better get on that!

And I fully agree with you on the returning to the soap, as I am also not in that business!

mLLXvUB.jpeg

4th of December

Soap: Murphy & Mcneill The Great Bear
Razor: Muhle R89
Blade: Astra SP (4)
Brush: Semogue 830
Post-shave: Thayers Witch Hazel + Nivea Sensitive Cool ASL + La Toja Neutro ASB

Great shave today! It was the 2nd time using the Murphy Mcneill soap, and what a scent...Absolutely spot on for this winter time! The scent of cookies and vanilla is really pleasant without being overwhelming!
Excelent cushioning and protection, and impressive post-shave feel, with a proper hydration. The only con, is that I find it a bit tricky to load, specially with floppy brushes, because it's a bit on the hard side.
The first load, was a complete mess, and I decided to try again. The second chance was really good, but this Semogue is fairly new...It was just the 4th time that had soap/cream on it, so it needs a bit more use to break-in. The face feel is good atm, but I know for a fact that it will improve, a LOT.

On the past 4 or 5 days, I'm trying a new shave technique on my chin. The first pass, I go sideways from the middle, just like this:

316963717_3146920885620748_6346296221246062060_n.jpg

On the 2nd pass, I do the other way around, and that's it!

This method provided me really good shaves, and zero nicks or bumps whatsoever. I'm amazed how effective this is...

This was my last shave of the weekend so I want to wish a good coming week, and have some nice shaves, with Boars or with what makes you happy :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Boar four. A wee Semogue for a quick one pass affair. I think this is the first time I've used this brush since 2021 Decemboar. Very different hair than yesterday's big Zenith.
Image1667958894597183150.jpg
Image4100799132123182577.jpg
@GNR That's a great explanation of the four stages of boar break-in. I imagine a few boars get tossed after 30 shaves when they are still not getting through a three pass shave. I agree on the "use more soap" mantra to get to the fully broken in stage.

Last edited:
View attachment 1567006
Single Edge Sunday / DecemBoar

Pre: P.A.A. Cube 2.0 w/ Cube Dock

Razor: T.R. Cadman & Sons "Bengall"
Razor: Type M2 "Adjustable by Schick" Injector Razor
Blade: sChick Injector

Soap: Stirling Soap Company Light-Ish Red
Brush: Omega Boar 10005/80005
Bowl: Bluff Cove Pottery

Post 1: P.A.A. Alum No-Slip Grip System w/ Dry Dock System
Post 2: Dickinson's Enhanced Witch Hazel Deep Cleansing Astringent w/ Menthol & Eucalyptus
Aftershave: Stirling Soap Company Light-Ish Red
Post 4: Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream Extra-Dry w/ Hyaluronic Acid
Finish: Stirling Soap Company Light-Ish Red

Today's shave went very well. Again, I followed a with-the-grain pass with an across-the-grain pass on my face and an against-the-grain pass on my neck.

I feel like I'm getting a little better using the straight razor with each go around and am advancing with using it for more angles and passes. It's a journey to say the least. I'm having a good time with it all so this learning experience has been an enjoyable one.

I followed up the straight razor usage with a Schick Type M2 Injector razor using a brand new sChick blade. This thing is a real joy to use. It's smooth, efficient and super easy to use. I had the dial set to 4 which is right in the middle of its adjustable and proceeded to do my final against-the-grain pass.

With the Omega boar and the Stirling Soap Company Light-Ish Red soap I whipped up some glorious lather. Oh man, let me tell you, the scent on this one is just flat out a 10 / 10! On a personal level, I just love this one and don't ever want to be without it. Mmm. It's just heavenly to me.

I finished things off with some matching aftershave and EdT and am as happy as one can be after a glorious Sunday shave while listening to the Beatles.

Alright my good gentlemen, that's it for today. Take care and enjoy your shaves!

Can I ask why do you use that specific order on the post-shave routine?

Top Bottom