What's new

🐽 🐷 🐖 🐗 DecemBOAR 2022!!! Only Boar Brushes for all of December! 🐽 🐷 🐖 🐗

@beg033 Is that soap Swedish?
Yes sir, a good buddy of mine from Stockholm brought it to me two weeks ago. I chose one premium (omberg) and two regulars (troll & mr cool) from their collection of soaps. They've been fantastic and I've not shaved with other soaps since. I decided to 3017 the Omberg, both for having some consistency and also because I wanted to experiment with how long it'll last. The premium soap is very hard although not triple-milled. The regular ones are in the consistency of a croap.

Today's shave features an inexpensive, rather generic German boar with a gorgeous (to me) and comfortable wooden handle.

View attachment 1566146RazoRock L3 Superslant / Timor (1)
tallow Tabac / boar
adidas Dynamic Pulse AS (almost got me banished from the dinner table)

And to enhance my BoarBAD cred, here is my Omega 10065/66 rotation. I visit it whenever some other brush doesn't jump the queue.
View attachment 1566147

My first cheap drugstore boar outlasted a Gillette Techmatic, a Schick injector, and my bachelor life of a couple of decades past my first shave. It lived permanently resting on top of a puck of Williams Mug in a coffee mug. Marriage brought higher standards (the LOTH's) and the gift of a Plisson badger. B&B brought BoarBAD...
Where to buy these? The green almost looks like it would be a cheaper version of the coveted Connaught Jade boar brush with that similarly shaped tulip handle and same color.

Day Three “Bring me the bacon!”

Today, I used another Omega Pro Boar. It’s got a gold handle so you know it’s fancy.
I’m a huge fan of the high lofted Omega Pro Boars, they break in quickly through usage, have soft, split bristles, and whip up crazy good lathers.

The VITOS is almost finished, just a small ring around the outside of the tub. I don’t think it’ll make it through “The Squeal Sessions”.

The MicroMatic Bullet Tip “Guiding Eye” showed me the way to an excellent shave.
View attachment 1566317
View attachment 1566318
Wow!!! Never saw this model before. Is this like the Prorasso special edition Omega? Where to find this one and what model #? Always room for one MOAR BOAR when you got bacon flavored BAD!!!

My Omega Premium boar was up today. It’s fun using this right after my Zenith unbleached boars. I’m torn, but the Premium Jade is probably #2 for me, behind the Zenith unbleached in the olive wood handle.
FC589C2B-4124-44D2-980D-81676E1C3B71.jpeg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I used the Omega Jade today as well. Mine is still a bit pokey and the knot isn't as dense as the Zenith B33. I think I'll like it more after it's broken in. I do love the handle. I don't really know how to use a boar brush yet. The Jade lathered up the Mystic Waters soap in a heartbeat but it thinned out quite a bit after I lathered my face. I did use what I thought was more than enough soap. I'll need to get it into a thicker lather next time. First brush use and a first soap use... not one of my best ideas.

I used the Omega Jade today as well. Mine is still a bit pokey and the knot isn't as dense as the Zenith B33. I think I'll like it more after it's broken in. I do love the handle. I don't really know how to use a boar brush yet. The Jade lathered up the Mystic Waters soap in a heartbeat but it thinned out quite a bit after I lathered my face. I did use what I thought was more than enough soap. I'll need to get it into a thicker lather next time. First brush use and a first soap use... not one of my best ideas.
This happened this week to me, except I was using a broken in boar. It will work but it takes dialing in. Once Decemboar is done, try again with a synthetic or a badger brush and you will find it much easier.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
DecemBOAR 2022
20221203_132409~2.jpg

Razor: Merkur Opgress (4-2-2-1)
Blade: Astra SP (1)
Brush: Omega Model 10066 White Handle
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Martin de Candre Nature
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal
Fragrance: Belcam G2bu EdT Spray

Superb shave! :cool:
20221203_132512~2.jpg

Please check out full notes on my shaves plus comments, rankings and other stuff in my Journal: never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-12034887

DecemBOAR Shave 1

I've been looking forward to this! I don't have much experience with boar brushes and this will be my first time trying most of this sounder I've assembled specifically for this event.

After some deliberation, the 2014 B&B Essential Boar got the tap for the first shave. This freakishly lucky purchase was from the Murphy & McNeil ebay store and it was NOS, a fresh unused example. I'm still sort of in shock I was able to get a B&B edition brush (for so cheaply, too) and I'm quite honored to even have it. I don't haunt the bay a lot and my jaw dropped when a cursory brush search popped it up. It's had 9 wet/dry cycles now and it definitely softened up over those, but it had nice soft tips pretty much out of the box.

It seemed appropriate to kick off B&B DecemBOAR with a B&B boar brush!

1670133844224.png

I'm taking my DecemBOAR a little further and I'm committing to face lathering with a soap stick for the month as well. Two things I've only done twice before this shave!! I've been bowl lathering since I started wet shaving 3 months ago.

Boy, face lathering is a lot different than bowl lathering. That difference is even more pronounced moving from synthetic brushes to boar at the same time. I found it more relaxing, somehow. I spent so much more time scrubbing my face with the brush, which while soft, was exfoliating and massaging my face on a whole different level than the Muhle 25mm STF I've been using. To steal a line from @Guido75, the whole shave felt more zen. And I swear my face felt "fresher" after all that soft boar scrubbing, musing on the post-shave feel a few hours later.

And, yes, I used waaaay too much soap stick. In about 45 seconds I looked like Santa. Ok, need to dial the stick application back a little :biggrin1:. I was given about 1oz of MWF as a gift and I had these 1oz roll up containers. I used a garlic press to break up the soap for the stick - it was like making MWF spaghetti! lol.

Schick I2 Hydro-Magic (mid to end 1950)
Schick Proline B
Omega 10019
Martin de Candre - Fougère (sample)
Pitralon Classic AS
Balea Sensitive ASB

My trusty 10019 is perfect for face lathering as far as I'm concerned. Been going strong for the past 2 years, next to my other (bigger, 10049) Omega boar.

proxy.php

DecemBOAR Shave 1

I've been looking forward to this! I don't have much experience with boar brushes and this will be my first time trying most of this sounder I've assembled specifically for this event.

After some deliberation, the 2014 B&B Essential Boar got the tap for the first shave. This freakishly lucky purchase was from the Murphy & McNeil ebay store and it was NOS, a fresh unused example. I'm still sort of in shock I was able to get a B&B edition brush (for so cheaply, too) and I'm quite honored to even have it. I don't haunt the bay a lot and my jaw dropped when a cursory brush search popped it up. It's had 9 wet/dry cycles now and it definitely softened up over those, but it had nice soft tips pretty much out of the box.

It seemed appropriate to kick off B&B DecemBOAR with a B&B boar brush!

View attachment 1566671

I'm taking my DecemBOAR a little further and I'm committing to face lathering with a soap stick for the month as well. Two things I've only done twice before this shave!! I've been bowl lathering since I started wet shaving 3 months ago.

Boy, face lathering is a lot different than bowl lathering. That difference is even more pronounced moving from synthetic brushes to boar at the same time. I found it more relaxing, somehow. I spent so much more time scrubbing my face with the brush, which while soft, was exfoliating and massaging my face on a whole different level than the Muhle 25mm STF I've been using. To steal a line from @Guido75, the whole shave felt more zen. And I swear my face felt "fresher" after all that soft boar scrubbing, musing on the post-shave feel a few hours later.

And, yes, I used waaaay too much soap stick. In about 45 seconds I looked like Santa. Ok, need to dial the stick application back a little :biggrin1:. I was given about 1oz of MWF as a gift and I had these 1oz roll up containers. I used a garlic press to break up the soap for the stick - it was like making MWF spaghetti! lol.

Face lathering steps up the shave in so many notches above a bowl lathering that I don't understand why people prefer the bowl method.
I do understand that while building the lather on a bowl, you can built it in a better way, and have a better lather at the end, or even if you use a scuttle, you can have a warm lather on your face, which could be pleasant on colder and freezing days.
But by face lathering, you work your face in a manner that it's almost impossible if you just apply the lather after building it on a bowl. The face becomes softer, and the razor just glides over the bristles almost without effort and that leads to better shaves, and less skin irritation.

For me, was a game changer when I tried it for the first time, and guess what? Since that day, I NEVER used a bowl to build a lather again (just to load some soap samples).

Top Bottom