What's new

Your favorite "go-to" razor(s) & Why?

I absolutely LOVE the Gillette Old Type especially with a Bull Mastiff handle and the NEW is a fine shaver also but for my everyday go-to it's NDC Super Speed all the way. Its a mild shaver and I like the twist open feature which makes changin blades faster. Very trusty razor AFAIAC.
Wp

Go to is the Progress. Love the weight and adjustment feature. Works great with Iridiums, Red IP's, Sharks. Need to get the Mergress modification.

40's superspeed (undated) with Gillette Nacet blades is a great performer.

56' Redtip-with the Red IP or Feathers-very nice for a change of pace.

Gillette Aristocrat 46-47

It has the same heft as a red tip or fat boy, but it seems the contour of the cutting head is a bit different so it works best in my hand.

The RT and FB are in the rotation, as well as an open comb NEW which is a great razor!

I only own three razors, and two of them have the same head :tongue_sm

Parker R22
Mühle R106
Mühle Stylo

The parker is too aggressive for me, and I don't use it anymore. So Mühle is my go-to! I like it because it's pretty mild.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
40's style Superspeed.

After I got my first one I was so satisfied with it that I picked up a few more, just in case. I keep one in my travel kit, use two at home and have 1 or 2 more for safe keeping.

I like the way it feels in my hand, nicely balanced, not too long or short, great grip and just the right head & guard combo to give me regular perfect shaves. I guess that's about it.

'59 Fatboy - Because I can get a 2-pass BBS
'30's New - Because its the most comfortable shave that I've ever had

Caveat - My experience isn't that deep - I've been wetshaving for six months. However, the razors above replace a late '40's fat handled Tech and a '66 Lady Gillette because they couldn't do what the razors above can.

OK - so I'm fickle...
30's New - Because its the most comfortable shave that I've ever had AND I can now get a 2-pass BBS with it
BRW Slim Bull Mastiff 3 3/8 handle w/ New Long Comb head - because I wanted a prettier and slightly more aggressive New

I get wonderful shaves from my Merkur Futur, although I tend to switch between it and my Merkur Vision and 39c, as well.

I'm still learning so the newly ordered Feather stainless might be a strong competitior, although unlikely.

The Futur is a very strong contender. Beautiful, providing sonic feedback and adjustable.

:eek:)
Perkus

My go to DE razor is the Stainless Feather Rzr. I use it test different blades, then compare in other raors (I have Diplomat, several Superspeeds, Techs, Mhule, etc).

I'd say my Progress. It gives me great shaves. I have to adjust it for every blade since it seems my face reacts differently to each blade. I also love how it feels in my hands. And it's also the only razor I have right now......I'm a student......my money goes to food, gas, and blades.

I`ve tried many different razors, but nothing gets me there like these four:

Schick Krona

Gem Micromatic Clog Proof

Gillette Super Adjustable set to 4

Gillette Red Tip

Of the razors I own there are 4 great ones and it would be very hard to pick a 1st between them.

1. Vintage Gladweg with one of Bob's handles; a well made heavy nickel plated head that curves the blade more than any other razor I own. Perfect in between mild and aggressive. Irreplaceable.

2. Mühle R41 with the Merkur OC head but with Mühle fit and finish. I am really an open comb guy and this is my tool. Balance, comfort and quality; it is all there.

3. Mühle R89 with its great new head; I think this is the best shaving safety bar head in production right now. Superb!

4. Lord LP1822 with the merkur classic-like head. In this line-up a bit of an ugly duckling if you will but at the same time the living proof that you can have a decently made, great shaving new razor at low cost. With the prices of the 'cheap' vintage Gillettes on the rise this is the perfect starter-razor and to be true, all you should really ever need.

Top 3 blades in all these for me; Lord Super Stainless, Souplex and Schick Platinum Plus. Some of the Indian and Chinese Gillettes are great too.

My faves are::001_smile

Razor: Gillette Long Handle Super Adjustable (Black Beauty)*
Blades: (in descending order) Merkur, Timor, Shark, Derby, Walgreens(VA-made Personnas)

Soap: Mancave1's Bay Rum shave soap, TOBS Rose cream in jar, TOBS Lavender cake soap, C.O. Bigelow (Proraso) tube cream

Brush: I only have a cheap pure badger brush

*I finally scored a 1958 (birth year) Fatboy; didn't like how it shaves.

That is a hard question to answer:)

I'm fortunate enough to have more or less all my favorites in my collection and they all shave great.
But if I have to choose, these 2 would be it:

Robert Williams Custom 8/8 Spanish point
Filarmonica EPBD #14 Spike point

Tomorrow, my answer could be a different one.

My Gillette Fatboy is still my go to razor... It's a well balanced shaver which is top heavy (Just the way I like it!)

Plus it seems to consistently give me fantastic shaves!

'56 Gillette Red Tip is currently my favorite. It gives me a DFS with only 2 passes which is essential when time is of the essence on weekdays.

My E1 Red Tip. Works great with every blade I've put in it. I haven't given it a rest since I bought it, and quickly bought another to have a backup.

Top Bottom