What's new

Favorite or best adjustable

As the Major has mentioned elsewhere, he has become quite fond of adjustable razors, as they allow a closer shave underneath his jawline, where he often has a hard time getting a smooth shave.

Right now, the Major's collection includes a Gillette Fat Boy, a Slim, & Merkur Futur. Incidentally, while the latter gives a pretty good shave, the size of the head makes it difficult to use under his nose. In any case, can anyone recommend their favorite adjustable safety razor for him to perhaps add to his collection?

Thx,
-MO

Most of my razors have ended up being adjustables.

In terms of wanting an adjustable that might have better under-the-nose ability, I suggest one of two adjustables. The Merkur Progress or one of the Gibbs clones like a Pearl Flexi, Yaqi (Ultima, Brass, or Final Cut), or Rex Ambassador.

The head dimensions on those, I think, are more similar to a 3 or 2-piece razor. I have the Progress, Pearl Flexi, and received a Yaqi "Final Cut" in the mail yesterday.

Please pass along to The Major a consideration for the new Blackland Osprey adjustable.
IMG_0246.jpeg

Unequivocally, it’s the SuperAdjustable, particularly the post-‘77 Black Beauty. I bought a never-used one for $10 at a flea market.
Huge range of adjustment, two steps closer than the Slim or Fatboy. Built like a tank, nice head-heavy balance. Fantastic.

The Major nearly forgot: he also has a Black Beauty. How do you fine fellows think it compares to the older Fat Boy + Slim Adjustables?

Thx again,
-MO

I go back and forth between the Tatara Muramasa and Gillette Slim as my favorite razors period.

I have a feeling if I had the titanium Muramasa it would win out over the Slim but I don't have one.

My Superadjustable rounds out the top three.

I definitely like the Superadjustable more than other razors I've used, although I definitely prefer the Slim and Muramasa, pretty much entirely because I like milder razors. But the Slim, Muramasa, and Superadjustable are all beautiful razors in my mind.

Top Bottom