What's new

Your favorite "go-to" razor(s) & Why?

DE:

NEW Deluxe (long comb) head on a fat-handled Tech handle, with a Feather blade - love the NEW head and it just screws on to the Tech handle, which as such good balance and size. The Feather on such a mild razor is sharp enough to get it done in one pass.

Straight:

Keen Kutter 5/8 in plain black plastic scales - small, nimble, light, quick, and sharp. It's the straight I learned to straight shave with, and still my favorite.

I was alternating between my Gold Slant and '50s Aristocrat. Both gave great shaves but since acquiring (and coming to understand) my Feather AS, it may be the only razor I ever use, going forward. The shave is effortless and clean. Only tried it with Feather blades, so far but I'm going to throw a Persona Med Prep in it when they get here.

For travel, I will likely stick with my HD though. Hate for the Feather to wind up in a lost bag somewhere.

Brings up a question though, does TSA allow DEs (sans blade) in a carry on? Just wondering....

Ken

Red Tip SS because it gives me my best shaves. I have some others that I like and can get good shaves out of them. But the shaves I get with my Red Tip are a little better. Unless I go for one too many shaves with a blade I get no irritation, no nicks, and smooth shaves.

37c slant is my usual shaver. Have been toying with the idea of using my Futur that I have never taken out of the box.

Mergress with 7 O'Clock Yellows. I love the wide-open feel at 5+ when I have time to enjoy the shave, but even quicker shaves in the 3.5-4.5 realm have never failed to give me a great shave assuming my lather was right.

Feather All Stainless
Schick E2 injector

The Feather, with Astra SP blades, gives me consistency in my shaves and let's me focus on brushes, creams, and soaps instead.

I really like the Schick for the aggressive closeness I get with that razor. I have to say that the only cut that I've gotten while shaving was with the E2 when I lost focus and ran it sideways up my face for a half inch or so.

Any of several injectors, because of ease of use and great results. My types E1, J3, M adjustable, and O are all so good that there is really little to choose between them, and there are others that are almost there.

Gem Junior Bar and one particular Gem 1912 SE razor. Again, great results, with the most user friendly safety bar ever designed, glides effortlessly. Just a bit less easy than the injectors right under the nose.

'59 Fatboy - Because I can get a 2-pass BBS
'30's New - Because its the most comfortable shave that I've ever had

Caveat - My experience isn't that deep - I've been wetshaving for six months. However, the razors above replace a late '40's fat handled Tech and a '66 Lady Gillette because they couldn't do what the razors above can.

I have several razors, but only use one now as it gives me the best shave. That is my Edwin Jagger DE89 with a Feather blade. :w00t:

To get to CCS:
Goodfella - Delightfully easy, knick-free, close-enough shave, beautiful. Fun to use. Safe to use quickly. Any brand blade in a Goodfella gives me solid CCS results. With some effort, nicer blades and some pressure:scared:, can often get to BBS but not always. Accidental BBSs are rare. Gift from brother.

To get from CCS to BBS:
1912 Jr or Damaskeene w/ Pella. Close, acoustically interesting. .
DE89L with Iridium - Smooth, close but easy on skin.
Merkur 45 Bakelite with Iridium - Aggressive, intriguing
Schick Injector "500" (J3 or J4) - Attention getting adrenaline rush. Demands respect.

I keep trying to knock it off the top of my list but it always beats of any challenge. The 37g is just the finest tool my face has ever known. It just mows down everything in it's path plan and simple.

1912 Gem Damaskeene. Why? Well, because it's a 1912 Gem Damaskeene!

I just shaved with a Damaskeene for the first time this morning, and I can see how it would be a go-to razor. There's something different with them from a standard 1912. Don't know what it is but it is there.

My go-to is the humble, often maligned Weishi. Its reliable mildness is a Godsend for sensitive skin.

Top Bottom