What's new

Favorite or best adjustable

Hybrid isn't a Sailor, but that still doesn't justify the blade issue you mentioned
I just wanted to remind you that the Hybrid doesn't have the quality of a Sailor

I have no doubt that the polishing quality of the MC Sailor is much better that the Hybrid, but unless Murat confirms that theres a difference in the manufacturing process, QC or whatever, it remains nothing more than a theory just like the whole notion that the Hybrid isn't part of the Sailor series. That was all made up by the wet shavers and while it does make a little sense, it's still not confirmed and I personally pay more attention to facts than myths and legends and God knows there are tons of both in this hobby.

I have no doubt that the polishing quality of the MC Sailor is much better that the Hybrid, but unless Murat confirms that theres a difference in the manufacturing process, QC or whatever, it remains nothing more than a theory just like the whole notion that the Hybrid isn't part of the Sailor series. That was all made up by the wet shavers and while it does make a little sense, it's still not confirmed and I personally pay more attention to facts than myths and legends and God knows there are tons of both in this hobby.
He himself confirmed that there is a difference in the production process between Sailor and Sailor MC
So I think there is a difference between Sailor and Hybrid, just look at the starting price between a normal Sailor and Hybrid

photo_2024-02-02_14-10-11.jpg

He himself confirmed that there is a difference in the production process between Sailor and Sailor MC
So I think there is a difference between Sailor and Hybrid, just look at the starting price between a normal Sailor and Hybrid

View attachment 1789738

It would be unwise for him to say that the MC and the regular Sailor are made the same way, given the big difference in price. I'm also flattered that people tend to compare the most high end product - the MC to the least expensive or equal in value to the regular Sailor and if I remember correctly, the 2022L Sailor had a price tag similar to the now a bit more expensive Hybrid. I don't want my comments to sound like a personal attack towards you or anyone else who sees things differently and you might be absolutely right, but like I said in my previous comment - I want things to be 100% confirmed by none other than the maker of those razors/the owner of the company. If he agrees with your statement, then I would stand corrected and move on. The only thing that I know for sure from Murat, is that shavewise they ( or at least the 2021-2023) shave the same and the flat top cap doesn't change the way the razor shaves, but not everyone agrees with that statement as well.

It would be unwise for him to say that the MC and the regular Sailor are made the same way, given the big difference in price. I'm also flattered that people tend to compare the most high end product - the MC to the least expensive or equal in value to the regular Sailor and if I remember correctly, the 2022L Sailor had a price tag similar to the now a bit more expensive Hybrid. I don't want my comments to sound like a personal attack towards you or anyone else who sees things differently and you might be absolutely right, but like I said in my previous comment - I want things to be 100% confirmed by none other than the maker of those razors/the owner of the company. If he agrees with your statement, then I would stand corrected and move on. The only thing that I know for sure from Murat, is that shavewise they ( or at least the 2021-2023) shave the same and the flat top cap doesn't change the way the razor shaves, but not everyone agrees with that statement as well.
Yes, no personal problem with me... I just reported information, of course the producer is in his own interests 👍
I have a Sailor2022L and a Hybrid, the 2022 feels softer in terms of blade feel despite the weight, Hybrid has more bite...for me

Hybrid isn't a Sailor, but that still doesn't justify the blade issue you mentioned
I just wanted to remind you that the Hybrid doesn't have the quality of a Sailor
I question this because the Hybrid bears the Sailor marking on both, just above the ring and on the end of the handle the same as the higher priced models.

I have to agree with you on this...

Has anyone who has used one ever spoken ill of the Rex Konsul or has anyone seen one at a discounted, even if meager, resale?
Yes. You do have to keep your eyes out. I have the Rex & Konsul, second owner on both, and like them both, very much. My "ill-speaking" has to do with the quality of finishing on a gold-plated Konsul.

Modern adjustables, in order of aggressiveness, from lowest to highest, IMO, and obviously with some overlap because of the adjustable function. Note that these comparisons are predominantly based on using setting 3-5. The Konsul, Osprey and Taiga I do not believe I have ever run at 1-2, as I generally find this to be very unrewarding and frustrating, and my shave is a relaxation time. Muramasa (and I suspect Osprey) at 1 is very little more than a lather-mover for me.

• Muramasa is short & very mild until you go to 4-5.
  • Osprey- probably the best mild-wild option, with a very thin top cap (I have a moustache, so under-nose is not something I do, but the feature is noted.) I finally got my hands on an Osprey, a week or so ago. Of all available options, I would have to say that it offers the best range to comfort ratio. As with so many things, YMMV. If you like longer handles, towards the heavier side, it will likely suit you. With all the other toys I have, I put this off as, do I really want/need another one...? I'm glad I did. If I had to have only one, this would be it.
  • Taiga is really the closest overlap comparison to the classic Gillett 195/Fat Boy, but easily exceed the FB is exposure/aggression at higher settings.
  • Konsul , being a slant, is not quite a direct comparison to the others, but overall- higher on the aggression, but very smooth, if you take your time. A great shaver for XTG under the chin.
  • Pearl Flexi is...different. I found mine to be closer to the Konsul as far as comfort (than the Rex). Subjectively, I suspect the gap and exposure are less than the Rex, at the same number. Cheaper is not "less than." If you want to try one of the heavier, modern, adjustable, the Flexi is a great buy.
  • Sailor 2019 & 2022. I find the 2019 to be a bit more aggressive, with the same blade than the 2022. Very comparable to the Rex in performance and perhaps a bit smoother, setting-dependent. The fit and finish are definitely more refined than the Rex, but at 2.5-3x the cost, these are totally luxury goods.
  • Rex is very high on blade feel and "aggression," and heavy. I like it and would not sell mine. Certainly not everyone has the same feelings, but IMO, if you have a good copy it is certainly a "legacy razor."

Modern adjustables, in order of aggressiveness, from lowest to highest, IMO, and obviously with some overlap because of the adjustable function. Note that these comparisons are predominantly based on using setting 3-5. The Konsul, Osprey and Taiga I do not believe I have ever run at 1-2, as I generally find this to be very unrewarding and frustrating, and my shave is a relaxation time. Muramasa (and I suspect Osprey) at 1 is very little more than a lather-mover for me.

• Muramasa is short & very mild until you go to 4-5.
  • Osprey- probably the best mild-wild option, with a very thin top cap (I have a moustache, so under-nose is not something I do, but the feature is noted.) I finally got my hands on an Osprey, a week or so ago. Of all available options, I would have to say that it offers the best range to comfort ratio. As with so many things, YMMV. If you like longer handles, towards the heavier side, it will likely suit you. With all the other toys I have, I put this off as, do I really want/need another one...? I'm glad I did. If I had to have only one, this would be it.
  • Taiga is really the closest overlap comparison to the classic Gillett 195/Fat Boy, but easily exceed the FB is exposure/aggression at higher settings.
  • Konsul , being a slant, is not quite a direct comparison to the others, but overall- higher on the aggression, but very smooth, if you take your time. A great shaver for XTG under the chin.
  • Pearl Flexi is...different. I found mine to be closer to the Konsul as far as comfort (than the Rex). Subjectively, I suspect the gap and exposure are less than the Rex, at the same number. Cheaper is not "less than." If you want to try one of the heavier, modern, adjustable, the Flexi is a great buy.
  • Sailor 2019 & 2022. I find the 2019 to be a bit more aggressive, with the same blade than the 2022. Very comparable to the Rex in performance and perhaps a bit smoother, setting-dependent. The fit and finish are definitely more refined than the Rex, but at 2.5-3x the cost, these are totally luxury goods.
  • Rex is very high on blade feel and "aggression," and heavy. I like it and would not sell mine. Certainly not everyone has the same feelings, but IMO, if you have a good copy it is certainly a "legacy razor."
I have been looking at the adjustables including those listed above and a question came about that I did not manage to find an answer. I would really appreciate if one of you gents would be able to help me with the answer, since I reckon B$B and this thread especially is full of people with experience of using a multitude of adjustable razors.

For Gibbs clones or razors with similar (spring) system, is it the norm for the baseplate/spring module not to be disassembled by the user? If there is, which of the adjustable razors can be completely disassembled and with that I mean to its elementary parts ... like the Muramasa?

I have been looking at the adjustables including those listed above and a question came about that I did not manage to find an answer. I would really appreciate if one of you gents would be able to help me with the answer, since I reckon B$B and this thread especially is full of people with experience of using a multitude of adjustable razors.

For Gibbs clones or razors with similar (spring) system, is it the norm for the baseplate/spring module not to be disassembled by the user? If there is, which of the adjustable razors can be completely disassembled and with that I mean to its elementary parts ... like the Muramasa?
Osprey, Taiga and Muramasa can all be completely disassembled by the user, by design.

Rex and Konsul nominally cannot be disassembled readily, but use of a modest solvent and/or heat will breakdown the threadlocker they use, and the razors can then be disassembled by hand.

Pearl, no real option for disassembly. Sailors will depend on year.

Osprey, Taiga and Muramasa can all be completely disassembled by the user, by design.

Rex and Konsul nominally cannot be disassembled readily, but use of a modest solvent and/or heat will breakdown the threadlocker they use, and the razors can then be disassembled by hand.

Pearl, no real option for disassembly. Sailors will depend on year.
Thank you for the answer.

+1.

I'm still getting used to my Pearl Flexi.

. . . It is emphatically _not_ an "aggressive-to-more aggressive" razor.

At "1", it's _really_ mild. At "2", it's comparable to a Merkur Progress at about 1.5. I found Astra SP blades more comfortable than Feather blades.

Not cheap, but less than many of the modern machined alternatives, with a matte chrome finish rather than polished chrome.

. Charles

I personally like the Futur and the Progress, depending what conditions I have. If I need a quick shave then I’ll use the Progress, if I can afford some quality time, then I go with the Futur. I shave my head and I use a Feather blade, been doing it for a couple decades now

I actually managed to pick my konsul up 2nd hand. They pop up every so often. I believe razor emorium also offers a large discount on Black Friday.
Honestly though, I'm looking to get rid of it. I wanted to try the konsul because I heard it was more mild than the ambassador, but it still doesn't quite work for me. It's a great razor, just too much blade exposure for me. For reference, my favorites right now are the Rockwell T2 and the HLS Taiga, both of which can be dialed way down. I get the feeling I will really enjoy the Osprey though from what I hear, and I'm looking to pick it up once I move a few other things.
I have the Konsul, T2SS. I had the Pearl Flexi OC and SB and the Rockwell 6s. I can tell you that the Konsul is the best adjustable I have ever tried. If you are experiencing too much blade feel, you may be using too steep an angle. Take it back to about 30 degrees and see if that makes a difference.

I have only tried a handful of adjustables: Merkur Futur, Rex Ambassador, and Gibbs no 17.

The Gibbs was the only agreeable razor with my face. The Futur and Ambassador caused a lot irritation for me. Really tried to learn to love both razors.

The Gibbs is a smooth shaver and enjoy the nostalgia of it.

Top Bottom