What's new

Your favorite "go-to" razor(s) & Why?

I'm closing in on my first full year of wet shaving. I've tried a number of razors, and participated in most of the trials during the Ultimate Shave Off, Part II experiment.

I now have four razors that I go to time after time because they are my favorites, for different reasons. Here they are, and why:

• Merhur 39C Sledgehammer: Substantial, nice weight and balance, super-effective with near perfect shaves every time unless I loose my concentration, when it can irritate/nick. Probably my favorite overall.
  • Merkur Future: Set at 6.5, this is equal to the 39C and more forgiving. I have to modify my technique a little under my nose because of the large domed head. On the other hand, the acoustic feedback is better than the 39C and as good as an SE razor. This has an elegant feel about it.
  • Merkur 38C: Not as aggressive as the above, but capable of truly fine shaves. Forgiving of my mistakes. The razor I use when my face needs TLC while it recovers from mis-use of the above.
  • Gillete Slim Adjustable, 1963 (set at 9): The razor my dad taught me to shave with when it was brand-new. Nimble, fast, forgiving. I just like a more substantial feel and longer handle personally. But no other razor is so rich with nostalgia.
Question: Which are your favorite, most often-used razors (DE, SE, straight), and WHY?

Codfish

• Razor: Merkur Futur, 39C, 38C, Gillette Slim Adjustable '63
  • Blades: Iridium Super, Crystal, Feather
  • Brush: Edwin Jagger Best Badger, 23mm
  • Soap: MWF, Tabac, Prairie Creations
  • Cream: Proraso, Fraser's, Musgo, Cremo
  • Aftershave: Boosters, Tabac, Ogallala
  • Cologne: Usher VIP, Montale Black Auod

Last edited:
This is my favorite.

proxy.php
[/IMG]

Seems like I can't get enough of my '47 Super Speed lately.
Why do I choose this one? The handle is light and about as "non-slip" as you can get. The other end gives me a shave that is as close to perfect as I've found. Nothing tricky about it....just plain works.:thumbup1:

I have also tried many different razors, but find the following to be my favorites:

1. GEM 1912 Damaskeene: Has never failed to give me a close, comfortable shave. I have never been cut, never even experienced any irritation. As a plus, I love the acoustic feedback! Maybe not as pretty as some of my others, but my absolute favorite at this time.

2. Schick Type E: Close runner up to the Damaskeene. Still, I have to be a bit more careful with this one. While I have never been cut I have experienced a small amount of irritation during the learning curve. Because it is so light in comparison with my other razors, I have to be careful not to apply too much pressure.

3. A tie between my ABC Empire and British NEW. These two are my favorite DE razors. Maybe because they are open-comb? Might have to give a slight nod to the NEW.

4. NDC Fat Handle Tech: On that infrequent moment when things go awry and I am in recovery mode, my Tech gives a very nice, comfortable shave. However, I find that I have to do more touch-up with this one to get a fairly close shave. I involves a bit more work to get there.

I also have, among others, a 1948-1950 Super Speed. The jury is still out on this one. I really want to like it, just as I want to like my '74 Super Adjustable, but have not devoted enough time to find the right razor and blade combination that works best for me. Also, there seems to be something a bit "clunky" about the TTO head as compared with the three-piece head of the ABC Empire and British NEW.

Regards,

David

Last edited:
For me it is my Merkur HD with a Red Personna blade. It just gives me amazing shaves every time.

When I have more than a days worth of growth I have been reaching for my Muhle R41. No fuss and a great shave!

My goto cream is Speick.

Right now, it is a Schick Krona (with metal TTO knob) along with Feather blades. I wish the razor was a bit more aggressive but it is a great shaver!

Gillette fatboy. Nice heavy razor and adjustables are tops in my book. The Superspeeds are too mild and the old types too aggressive. I like being able to choose how aggressive I want the razor since everyone is different.

1965 Slim.

Just works better. I start with a higher setting for the first pass, and then dial it down for second pass and touch-ups.

A '52 SS all winter and a Merkur HD all summer. Why? I don't know. I just listen to the voices in my head.

I always seem to reach for my Merkur Progress as my goto adjustable, and close second is the Slim. Just get great shaves from both.

Non-adjustable.. 56 Red-Tip and Gillette NEW short comb replated.

I have 3 go-to razors in my rotation.

A silver tech

A ball handle long comb NEW

and I have recently added a black handle SS to the rotation. It filled a void in my rotation.

Now I have a razor for any given morning. Different mornings call for different razors. 3 is my magic number.

Top Bottom