What's new

The Rubberset 400 Club

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Have we discovered a way to use a dremel on these? I want to sand another but it is too hard on my hands.

Sorry Adam I still sand by hand, but I use a bit of rubber pipe on the flutes, I use the Dremel with a fluffy bit to polish the Renaissance Wax.

KeenDogg

Sorry Adam I still sand by hand, but I use a bit of rubber pipe on the flutes, I use the Dremel with a fluffy bit to polish the Renaissance Wax.
No worries. I saw a guy on the YouTube making his own drums with old sanding drums. I may try that.

Crappy weather day project - 4 new ferrules with Oumo knots (All 24mm)
Left to right
Manchurian Fan, Badger Boar Mix, Tux Synthetic and Unbleached Boar
(Two original ferrules in between 1 and 2)

proxy.php

Crappy weather day project - 4 new ferrules with Oumo knots (All 24mm)
Left to right
Manchurian Fan, Badger Boar Mix, Tux Synthetic and Unbleached Boar
(Two original ferrules in between 1 and 2)

proxy.php

Where did you manage to find the new ferrules? I got some through Phoenix Accoutrements, but they stopped selling them.

-- Sammy

@Clouds nice work, sir. Love the grooves in the home made ferrules! Can you tell us what size is the thread?
Thanks Splinter.
Thread size - No idea, I took one to a Tap & Die manufacturer in the hope that I could get the tap and they eventually said - "Its not a known thread size"

I can tell you what I did. I set my lathe at 18TPI and I started with the hole at 26mm. I just kept cutting the thread deeper until the bottom screwed on.

I definitely wouldn't want to make them without the handle nearby.

Clouds Fantastic work Sir love the new ferrules, they are a work of art that's for sure.

Thanks Ice-Man.

KeenDogg

I dont know if it's been mentioned or not but I tried acetone to get a ferrule loose. It worked beautifully. Took about a two hour soak and it screwed right apart.

I dont know if it's been mentioned or not but I tried acetone to get a ferrule loose. It worked beautifully. Took about a two hour soak and it screwed right apart.

Did the acetone do any damage to the bristles or the rubber that they are set in?

KeenDogg

Did the acetone do any damage to the bristles or the rubber that they are set in?
I had to remove the rubber and bristles before hand, they were shot. I wouldn't recommend doing it on one you wanted to keep the knot intact. It was excess rubber, seeped into the threads, which kept my ferrule from coming off.

I have been keeping my eye out for a Rubberset 400 for a while - but I didn't want to pay a ton.

Finally found a decenlty priced one on the bay and grabbed it.

I've sanded and polished it (I might sand it a bit more). I removed the old knot. Installed a shelf with a washer and epoxy.

And I purchased a Maggard 24mm SHD 2-band knot and installed it with silicone (to test the loft - will eventually reinstall with epoxy).

Took it for it's first spin tonight and I love it. Everything I had hoped!

I am waiting on a dark blue o-ring from PAA as well for that little extra pizzazz

1231DF09-949E-4C80-B245-1E1CAC60165D.JPG

I have been keeping my eye out for a Rubberset 400 for a while - but I didn't want to pay a ton.

Finally found a decenlty priced one on the bay and grabbed it.

I've sanded and polished it (I might sand it a bit more). I removed the old knot. Installed a shelf with a washer and epoxy.

And I purchased a Maggard 24mm SHD 2-band knot and installed it with silicone (to test the loft - will eventually reinstall with epoxy).

Took it for it's first spin tonight and I love it. Everything I had hoped!

I am waiting on a dark blue o-ring from PAA as well for that little extra pizzazz

View attachment 1136865

As I was told stay on the lower grits longer to remove all the dings and wear and tear, then work up the lower grits to remove the grit before I went up to 8000 with mine and they have come out fantastic. Well worth the time spending on them that's for sure,

As I was told stay on the lower grits longer to remove all the dings and wear and tear, then work up the lower grits to remove the grit before I went up to 8000 with mine and they have come out fantastic. Well worth the time spending on them that's for sure,

Expecting a package from Amazon on Monday with a wider range of wet/dry grits ❤️

Top Bottom