What's new

February 2024 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Date27.02.2024
366 daily shaves
058/366

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette Old TypeGillette Bleue (7)Omega 10810
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Consistency
(details here)
Quality / My process
9.75/10 (Significantly Consistent)10/10
(Clean)
EffectivenessComfort / Blade condition
8.75/10
(BBS-)
10/10(GlideFest)

Notes:

Summary. Very effective shave with a very effective razor. Blade felt tired yesterday, but this razor made it shine again.

For extended shave notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

Day 27, in with ease

Razor: Henson AL13+
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Classic (4)
Brush: Simpson Commodore X3 Fibre
Bowl: Captains Choice Copper Bowl
Preshave: GLYCE
Soap: Tabac Original
Aftershave: Tabac Original

IMG_1934.jpeg

Make it a great day!

Still in on day 27:

Pre-shave prep: shower, hot towel
Pre-shave: Proraso White
Razor: RR GC-76P
Blade: Personna Medical Prep (3)
Brush: EJ Silvertip
Shave cream: Proraso Green
Post shave: warm water rinse, alum block, cold water rinse
AS: Proraso Green Balm

I managed a comfortable DFS this morning. No complaints. And I finished off the tube of green.

Have a blessed day.
IMG_3635.jpeg

SOTD February 27th 2024
February 2024 GRUME
The 15th Annual One Blade in February Challenge

Hello friends

Beautiful day here. Today, I decided to do a quick shave in just 2 passes, WTG/ATG. As I have had a cold sore on my chin for 2 days, I shaved only part of my face, leaving the beginning of a goatee. Haslinger Schafmilch, Omega Jade, DE89 and Gillette Nacet (13) did well, but the blade appears to be reaching its limit. I finished with the splendid Denim Musk.

With us, Ben Webster, making the moment magical.

Rating: 9

Have a nice evening and great shaves!
❤️🪒

AF84E327-8E34-47A2-89E5-7526BE894FDE.jpeg
IMG_5327.jpeg

IMG_6237.jpeg

Still in...concluding my first GRUME with this shave; no shave tomorrow.

Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Pre-Shave: Kiehl's Age Defender Exfoliating Cleanser / YBN Glycerin Skin Care
Razor: Mühle R89 Traditional Rosegold
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (1)
Brush: Mühle Liscio Black Fibre
Bowl: DSC scuttle
Soap: Mühle Grapefruit & Mint
Alum: Osma
A/S: 4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser
EdP: Creed - Himalaya

Finishing February GRUME with a 2 pass CCS with touchups, using the R89 with a freshly loaded Wizamet. I do like those blades. They are smooth and sharp and haven't caused any nicks, weepers or irritation so far. They will be definitely in my rotation in the future.

I ran a bit into trouble with my Liscio brush and it's not the first time I did. It is a great latherer but that is also its drawback. With soaps which produce copious amounts of lather, such as this Mühle puck, the Liscio brush simply drowns in lather due to its small size. Basically, the entire brush and handle is covered in the stuff, making the handle very slippery. I ran into this problem before but was able to control the mess. However, today the handle got so slippery that it slipped out of my hand and into the water- filled sink, creating even more mess. This is a rather small brush with a small knot and is therefore easy to vanish in the lather.
This wasn't much of a problem before when I loaded from the small stainless steel bowl and face lathered, but it became a problem once I changed to the much larger scuttle.

This episode today convinced me that after almost five years of usage the Liscio should be relegated to its intended purpose now rather than later and become my travel brush. It is more than suitable for that purpose because it still performs outstandingly, is small enough to be carried around in a travel bag, and dries quickly due to its synthetic fibers.

This of course means that there is an imminent need to replace the brush with a new synthetic brush which I am currently selecting and will be ordering on Friday, the restocking date for the March GRUME.
In terms of equipment it means that I'll continue to (only) use two razors (R89 & Rocca) and (only) two brushes (badger & synthetic). I do currently have (only)six blade tucks in my cabinet and that too should be more than sufficient to last me a couple of months. Soap & creams aren't needed as well, as I aim to finish the samples I have and the rest of the Mühle puck before I start with a new Mühle Sandalwood puck maybe around April or May.
I'm set for aftershaves for quite a while, and actually think I do have too many (4). I may get the 4711 Aftershave splash after I finish those small 4711 Cologne sample bottles, which will also take some time.

See you guys in the March GRUME.

Day 27, 93.1% complete

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat (Tallow)
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Personna 74 #35
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea Balm

Same again, for a social shave. I will try to do a stropping before the next one.

Date28.02.2024
366 daily shaves
059/366

RazorBladeBrush
Razorine FlatboyGillette Bleue (8)Razorock Big Bruce
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Consistency
(details here)
Quality / My process
9.75/10 (Significantly Consistent)7/10
(Nick)
EffectivenessComfort / Blade condition
8.5/10
(DFS+++)
8/10(Smooth)

Notes:

Summary. Very close shave with a mighty little razor. It was a little underrepresented and perhaps under appreciated as well.

For extended shave notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

Still in and strong with only 40 hours to March 1:

Pre-shave prep: shower, hot towel
Pre-shave: Proraso White
Razor: RR GC-76P
Blade: Personna Medical Prep (4)
Brush: EJ Silvertip
Shave cream: Proraso White
Post shave: cold water rinse
AS: Proraso White Balm

Have a blessed day everyone.