What's new

The Rubberset 400 Club

This needs a bump up again so here goes.

I was sat watching tv last night, got my brood of 400's out for a clean up and 2 hours later all done and polished up here is the result of my 2 hours last night...

1.jpg
2.jpg

What boar knot does everyone recommend? I want to stay as authentic as possible. I was worried about the size knot to use as some are saying the 24mm boar knots are too large. I was looking at the TGN (22 or 24mm) / Elite Razor (22 or 24mm) and or the Oumo 24 Flat top.

What does everyone recommend for Boar Knot and or size, you thoughts are appreciated.

I used a 24mm long flat top boar, and it looks exactly the same as some vintage examples I have with the original knot, although I think 22mm will work as well. It was provided by Steve Vlaska a couple years ago, but I don't see that his profile is active here any longer.

M

Member 113878

Maggards now offer boar knots, for your information.
I bought a 24mm one and it's a really nice knot.
Very soft tips from the start, but not much backbone.
Not a problem for me, I lather with a bowl and am face painting.

Those are some beauties! I hope with a progression from 240 to 8000 grit and polish, I can get mine to look that shiny!

A lot of work went into the Silvertip one as it had tiny bubbles in it, and I was hours sanding it to get rid of them but worth it in the end as that was my first one I did was back in 2017 this is the Link to it here and it just went on from there and enjoyed every minute.

This might be the finest photo on a website full of fine photos.

Thank you Sir!!! I still enjoy using these today.

Question for owners of the original Rubberset: Did they come with the coloured ring? I know some modern repros have it (PAA for eg) and I only have the AP Shave Co repro. No personal experience with an original.
Cheers

To the best of knowledge NO. I have had a few original Rubberset brushes go thru hands. Before they started to repro them no ring.

Anyone installed a 24mm horse knot from shave forge? I would be curious how they perform and how high the final loft can be installed.

If you look at my post above with the brushes the second brush from the right, is a Vie-Long 24mm Brown Horse Hair knot as I hunted that one down to put in it sorry its not a shave forge but I think it is a fantastic knot

Question for owners of the original Rubberset: Did they come with the coloured ring? I know some modern repros have it (PAA for eg) and I only have the AP Shave Co repro. No personal experience with an original.
Cheers

No, the Rubbersets did not have any O-Ring those get added by whoever, I used the same colour as the number.

My first Rubberset brush. The first two pictures are the condition it was found at an antique store in. The rest are after cleaning up and putting a textured scratch pattern on it. It already had some pitting and a few dings so I chose this look instead of trying to polish it up. I installed a Zenith Boar knot taken from a spare brush I had. I really like my other three Zenith Boars so I figured this would be a great knot for this resto-mod.
IMG_20220312_164144604_HDR-01-02.jpeg

1647121743273-01.jpeg
IMG_20220604_151812269-01.jpeg
IMG_20220604_150758607-01.jpeg
IMG_20220604_150550341-01.jpeg
IMG_20220604_150718928-01.jpeg

After 5-6 years of looking for one, I finally found my first #400! This is a 400-4 picked up today at an antique store that we hadn't planned on going to but ended up there after the flea market we went to ended up being a bust. I haven't restored any of my many vintage brushes yet, so I'll practice up on a few, then tackle this one someday.
1661653756572.png

Top Bottom