What's new

The Rubberset 400 Club

Looks like your off to a good start and gone in deep like we all have within this new rabbit hole....

you will need to get a set of Rubber Strap Wrench to be able to unscrew the top section, give them some wd40 and let soak then use these.

2.jpg

The big one on the bottom section of the handle, and the small one on the top just under the knot.

Looks like your off to a good start and gone in deep like we all have within this new rabbit hole....

you will need to get a set of Rubber Strap Wrench to be able to unscrew the top section, give them some wd40 and let soak then use these.

View attachment 1041823

The big one on the bottom section of the handle, and the small one on the top just under the knot.
Where do you get those from? I was able to remove 1, but the others are really tight.

I got mine from ebay just do a search for (Rubber Strap Wrench), and look for the pairs they are really cheap but can be used on anything.
Thanks! Found and ordered a set. Actually, I'm going to take them apart just for cleaning purposes. 3 of the 4 brushes have boar knots that look virtually unused. I cleaned one and used it and it worked wonderfully. Only one knot is a bit discolored and misshapen, so that one I believe I'll replace with something.

I found with mine one was good to go after a good cleaning, but they do go hard and brittle so it's worth a good shampoo I did find a good Boar knots that fit and look the same. that's why I have one that is Original
So from left to right on my ones
original then a new Boar, Blue synthetic, Silvertip, Horsehair.

My set of Rubberset 400's.jpg

I found with mine one was good to go after a good cleaning, but they do go hard and brittle so it's worth a good shampoo I did find a good Boar knots that fit and look the same. that's why I have one that is Original
So from left to right on my ones
original then a new Boar, Blue synthetic, Silvertip, Horsehair.

View attachment 1042110
I'll try to post a pic of mine this evening if I can. Those look really superb. Are those orings just for looks, or do they serve a purpose? I've seen those colored rings on sale, I think at PAA.

They are only for looks and living in the UK those are the only ones I can find, but in the States they have a place called Steel navel....

20191209_165415.jpg

My newly acquired stable of 400's. The one on the left is still good, I think. The middle 2 look almost unused. The right one is used but in great shape. I used the 3rd one from the left last night. Worked super, no shedding or bristles breaking. I think the middle 2 are going to stay with their current knots. The left, a no number 400 is going to have another hairdo, I believe. As soon as I get my supply of wet or dry, I'm going to work on all 4.

@pwheeler that is a great set of original knots. Wish I had more than one in condition like that. The one I use regularly is posted earlier in this thread and was able to salvage it using Trader Joe's TeaTree Oil Shampoo. Washing, rinsing then repeat... many times since mine also had someone else's stubble in it (yuk). The tea tree oil and peppermint not only smell nice but are somewhat antibacterial. Then I used the same brand of conditioner left in for several hours and got great results with what looked like an unsalvageable knot. Whatever you decide, you ended up wth a nice set of brushes. If I can track down the listing photo I will post the before and after.

@pwheeler that is a great set of original knots. Wish I had more than one in condition like that. The one I use regularly is posted earlier in this thread and was able to salvage it using Trader Joe's TeaTree Oil Shampoo. Washing, rinsing then repeat... many times since mine also had someone else's stubble in it (yuk). The tea tree oil and peppermint not only smell nice but are somewhat antibacterial. Then I used the same brand of conditioner left in for several hours and got great results with what looked like an unsalvageable knot. Whatever you decide, you ended up wth a nice set of brushes. If I can track down the listing photo I will post the before and after.
Thanks! I have used one of them twice now. I finally just today got the ferrules unscrewed with a strap wrench. I agree. All the knots really seem good. I used just regular antibacterial shampoo in the one I used. I'm going to get some better shampoo and conditioner and really give them a good cleaning, then start work on the handles. Never had used a boar before, but I really like it. I hope I get some time to start cleaning up and polishing a handle maybe this weekend.

As sent to me - it was much worse than it looks.
1576351044759.png
After getting soaked in brewery wash, all cleaned up and shampooed, conditioned, lathered and rinsed several times. Bloomed out and still with some of the twist in it but soft and comfortable with decent backbone. I like the personality of it, so no polishing on this one.
1576351336595.png

I acquired a Rubberset 400 on a Fourth of July trip to the New Jersey shore in 2017. I had Rudy Vey clean it up and re-knot it for me with a Plissoft synthetic knot.

Once I got it back, I put it into heavy rotation. When I say heavy, I mean this: I shave 4 times a week and have used the Rubberset for three out of every four shaves (I have thrown in one or two shaves with my older brushes once or twice at most). Love, love, love my Rubberset 400.

So, I guess I should be a member of this club. ;-)

I acquired a Rubberset 400 on a Fourth of July trip to the New Jersey shore in 2017. I had Rudy Vey clean it up and re-knot it for me with a Plissoft synthetic knot.

Once I got it back, I put it into heavy rotation. When I say heavy, I mean this: I shave 4 times a week and have used the Rubberset for three out of every four shaves (I have thrown in one or two shaves with my older brushes once or twice at most). Love, love, love my Rubberset 400.

So, I guess I should be a member of this club. ;-)

Post your picture as we love to see pictures, and add The Rubberset 400 Club to your sig line and Welcome to the club.

My first cleanup of one of my 400's. Not looking too bad. It'll take a lot more work to get that ultra shiny finish on it, but I'm well pleased. The knot is in perfect condition. I am wondering if the knot's ever been used. I've used it 3 times and a 4th coming in a few minutes.
20191220_163537.jpg

My first cleanup of one of my 400's. Not looking too bad. It'll take a lot more work to get that ultra shiny finish on it, but I'm well pleased. The knot is in perfect condition. I am wondering if the knot's ever been used. I've used it 3 times and a 4th coming in a few minutes.View attachment 1045354

That Sir!!!! Is looking really good you need some Renaissance Micro-Crystalline Wax Polish to protect it when your finished.....

Top Bottom