What's new

The Rubberset 400 Club

After 5-6 years of looking for one, I finally found my first #400! This is a 400-4 picked up today at an antique store that we hadn't planned on going to but ended up there after the flea market we went to ended up being a bust. I haven't restored any of my many vintage brushes yet, so I'll practice up on a few, then tackle this one someday.
View attachment 1512507
Your biggest challenge is breaking the collar free of the handle. Two opposing strap wrenches are your friend there.
I've redone many of them, get yourself a 24mm knot and have at it!

After 5-6 years of looking for one, I finally found my first #400! This is a 400-4 picked up today at an antique store that we hadn't planned on going to but ended up there after the flea market we went to ended up being a bust. I haven't restored any of my many vintage brushes yet, so I'll practice up on a few, then tackle this one someday.
View attachment 1512507
These are relatively easy restores. As said before, two strap wrenches will separate the handle. A rubber O-ring will add some decoration and allow you to easily separate it again. Just read up on "hand polishing aluminum" and you're off and running. Take your time and be gentle as you polished the handle. You don't need power equipment! Have fun!

Can I join ?
IMG_20230628_011512191 (2).jpg

Rubberset 400-3 original knot ( So Far ) And , just a light cleaning......

I spent far more time on mine to get it shiny. Yours looks great.
Thank you. Mother's aluminum polish works wonders. No special tools or rags need. I just cut up an old towel into small squares. one to apply the polish, one to wipe clean. I did tightly wrap the bristles in painters tape to prevent any of it from getting on them. Worked great, highly recommend it. One container goes a long way, only need a dab for each piece.

What were the lofts of the original boar knots? Ive seen some conflicting info between the 3,4,and unnumbered. One post said the #3 is 61mm, and another 57.5
Not saying there wasn't any variation, but here is what I have. An original unused (or used so little it looks completely unused) #3 and it has a 60.5mm loft and I also have a barely used no# and it has a 63.5mm loft. Unfortunately the #4 that I have has been used to much to give an accurate measurement of what it once was.

Top Bottom