What's new

The Rubberset 400 Club

I've been talking about doing this for a while, and I'm finally diving in!

This club is for anyone lucky enough to own and use a Rubberset 400. It doesn't matter if you use it in original condition, painted/anodized it, added a brushed effect, or if you've polished it to a gleaming mirror finish. Your 400 could have an original boar bristle knot, any type of badger knot, or a synthetic knot. If you own and use a Rubberset 400, this club is for you!

To join, please submit a post that indicates that you're in, and preferably include a picture of your 400(s), if possible. If you've done a restore, include a before and after. Once you've added your post, feel free to add "The Rubberset 400 Club" to your signature.

To get things rolling, here is my Rubberset 400-3, which I restored in February 2013.

I humbly submit my application for membership...

$IMG_0680.jpg

Do you know what the -3 and the -4 indicate? What's the difference? Are there others? I've only seen 3 and 4. I have a 400-3, with on original boar knot, but I've never used it. It's probably in ok enough shape to use, but I've been intending on restoring it.

I'm in! Restored Rubberset with TGN 24mm black badger.

Attachments

• $DSCN1283.jpg
    $DSCN1283.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 2,409
  • $DSCN1282.jpg
    $DSCN1282.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 2,416
Haha at last! somewhere I can be amongst like minded people! Here's my three, a 26 mm 2 band; 26mm finest Silvertip and a 26mm Boar knot. All done by hand while I listen to audiobooks or audio skype - the time just flies by. I'm looking at anodising options in the UK to see if someone will work on small items - then assess the possibilities - this could go wild! I'm looking for any location where I can source a horse hair knot too for the fourth piece - I currently have a Vie-Long brush on its way in the post but im not holding out too much hope as to whether the knot will be salvageable/transferrable to a 400. ( I bought three boar brushes to get the boar knot out and the first two I tried were shockingly put together - positive proof that there is some utter rubbish out there) if anyone knows a place that will sell full horse hair knots then I would be very grateful. Here's to us merry few. Ratty$IMG_7730 - Copy.jpg$New Icon 2.jpg$New Icon.jpg

Last edited:
Ask Gifts&Care. I think they can speak with Vie-Long for re-knotting the brush with horse hair. You should send the brush to Valencia, in Spain. Now they have new white horse hair, I think. The advise of the master at Vie-Long factory would be nice.

I am a wannabe member here i.e. I bought an old Rubberset 400 that I am looking to restore. So far, I have managed to remove the knot(using a drill), but I still haven't figured out how to unscrew the top. Any pointers?

Some of us have heated the brush up by way of steam, and some of us just twisted like heck. You could also try a strap wrench.

Some of us have heated the brush up by way of steam, and some of us just twisted like heck. You could also try a strap wrench.

Thanks.

Will try the steam - I dont think I can just twist it. As for the strap wrench, its an interesting idea. But don't I need something to secure the other end?

Thanks.

Will try the steam - I dont think I can just twist it. As for the strap wrench, its an interesting idea. But don't I need something to secure the other end?

Try a few squirts of WD40 in the seam and use a strap wrench with the brush secured in a vise. Put a cloth or something else around the handle before you put it in the vise to protect it from scratches.

Try a few squirts of WD40 in the seam and use a strap wrench with the brush secured in a vise. Put a cloth or something else around the handle before you put it in the vise to protect it from scratches.

Don't have access to a vice (or most other tools). Let me try the steam, hopefully that will work.

Count me in (although I'm not quite finished my first Rubberset 400 restoration project). This one has no number on the collar, and here's what it looked like when I received it:

$Rubberset 400 Before.JPG

And here it is in its current state:

$Rubberset After B.jpg

To complete work on this one-- in addition to locating an o-ring-- I need to set the knot, which will be the TGN 24 mm High Mountain White Badger shown. I haven't made a final decision on the loft (it's sitting pretty high in the photo), but it'll probably end up in the 50 to 52 mm range. I'm really looking forward to putting the finishing touches on this restoration so I can give it a try. :w00t:

This thread has absolutely made my day. My application for membership to come once I get home, and I can't wait to add this to my signature!

Top Bottom