What's new

The Puzzling & Curious World of 1911

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I filled up the two Checkmate magazines and the one Wilson Combat magazine with snap caps last night.

When chambering a round, the pistol will not only chamber the first round, but it is still also stripping, the next round in the magazine and that round is just loose in the chamber?

If I rack the slide again, the gun double feeds because there is a loose round in the chamber.
If I eject the magazine the loose round falls from the mag well onto the floor.

The pistol does this with all 3 magazines for the first 4 rounds of every magazine. After the first four it doesn’t strip out the following round, but when you eject the magazine to look, the following round is still almost out of the Nagy and is just barely hanging in the mag by the back rim of the case.

So I guess polishing the bottom rib underneath the slide to keep it from dragging out the next round didn’t help?

That's what I was thinking, Scott. Apparently things worked fine with live ammo. I don't have any .45 snap caps so I can't try it.

I don’t either and my Glock snap caps are made out of a rubber like substance and the friction might compensate for their lack of heft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
@OkieStubble , if you load one snap cap in a mag and rack the slide, does the single snap cap chamber properly and if you rack the slide again, does the chambered snap cap eject properly? Are the snap caps that you are using have a brass rim, or are they the solid plastic type?

OkieStubble

@OkieStubble , if you load one snap cap in a mag and rack the slide, does the single snap cap chamber properly and if you rack the slide again, does the chambered snap cap eject properly? Are the snap caps that you are using have a brass rim, or are they the solid plastic type?

One single snap cap in the mag does load and eject properly. The complete snap cap bullet and case is some kind of red colored metal. I'd assume brass? They are starting to get boogered up with scratches from the sharp edges in the chamber like the edge of the feed ramp that we discussed?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Good idea. I'll have to try some real ammo and get back to ya. I will try to keep my eyes open and finger off the trigger when doing it.

Oh, and not point it at the cat. :)
Depends on the cat. I think if the single snap cap cycles OK, I would not worry about the rest until live ammo actually fired causes a malfunction. Just remember, snap caps are snap caps, they're not action proving dummy rounds. There is a difference.

I like grease more than oil period because it stays put.

I put a dab on each of the rails. I put half a dab around the bushing and half a dab around the barrel in front of the chamber.

When I re-assembly and work the gun, the is about a 1/4 dab on the back of the rails, I wipe that off and put it on top of the barrel hood. I rack the gun a few more times, wipe it off and it is GTG.

On a carry gun, that process is repeatedly weekly if it is a 1911. Every 2 weeks if it is a glock. I use less grease with a glock and include a 1/4 dab on the connector.

While there are a ton of "gun" greases and oils, I have never been let down with mobil one synthetic motor oil and lithium bearing grease. YMMV.

Edited to add-You cannot judge feeding reliability with any type of snap cap or any other "dummy" round that is not metal and basically the same weight/dimensions of a live round.

A-Zoom metal ones are better, but live is the only way you will really know.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Well I attempted trying the magazines with live ammo to see if two rounds would still come out of the magazine when chambering a round. Pulled out a box of American Eagle and loaded them down and still had the same problem with rounds falling out thru the mag well.

I will try Chris's advice of loading them down for a few days and see what happens. I also noticed when the two Checkmate mags are loaded to capacity with live ammo, It's like the magazine walls and mouth widened, because it would hardly fit into the mag well without forcing the mouth of the magazine up inside the mag well.

The Wilson Combat inserted easy enough, but it also had two rounds come out at the same time when chambering.

OkieStubble

A positive development to report. I took Chris’s @nikonNUT advice and loaded the 2 Checkmate magazines and the single Wilson’s Combat and loaded them to capacity with live rounds, leaving them that way for about 7 days now.

Chambered every single mag one by one, flipping the safety on and then ejecting each mag to see if a second round would fall thru the mag well as they have been doing since the purchase.

I am happy to report, all 3 mags worked without dropping the second round thru the mag well. I reloaded each mag again and repeated the process and all 3 mags passed the test again.

After chambering the first round, the second round, still protruded about half way out of the top of the mag in a forward and nose up position, as if it was waiting on the first round to be ejected so it could be chambered.

So I guess, the springs in the magazines just needed to be set inside the magazines? I will probably let the mags rest a couple of days and then load them and let them set again for a couple of days. I’m in Colorado for a few days, but when I get back home, I’ll be excited to get it back to the range and see how the Springfield does after it’s warranty work. :)

Last edited:
A positive development to report. I took Chris’s @nikonNUT advice and loaded the 2 Checkmate magazines and the single Wilson’s Combat and loaded them to capacity with live rounds, leaving them that way for about 7 days now.

Chambered every single mag one by one, flipping the safety on and then ejecting each mag to see if a second round would fall thru the mag well as they have been doing since the purchase.

I am happy to report, all 3 mags worked without dropping the second round thru the mag well. I reloaded each mag again and repeated the process and all 3 mags passed the test again.

After chambering the first round, the second round, still protruded about half way out of the top of the mag in a forward and nose up position, as if it was waiting on the first round to be ejected so it could be chambered.

So I guess, the springs in the magazines just needed to be set inside the magazines? I will probably let the mags rest a couple of days and then load them and let them set again for a couple of days. I’m in Colorado for a few days, but when I get back home, I’ll be excited to get it back to the range and see how the Springfield does after it’s warranty work. :)
Movement in the right direction is always nice, and I hope this is the end to your problems. As so many have mentioned, most problems with semi-autos tend to fall on the magazines. I hope this is the answer to your riddle.

Cheers.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
[QUOTE="OkieStubble, post: 11. I’m in Colorado for a few days, but when I get back home, I’ll be excited to get it back to the range and see how the Springfield does after it’s warranty work. :)
[/QUOTE]

Que John Denver's "Rocky Mountain High"........Glad things are working out!

Top Bottom