What's new

The Puzzling & Curious World of 1911

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
This is also something I have been thinking about? Does my shooting hand thumb ride the safety? Ride on top of my support hand like any other pistol? I have noticed, when it's riding on top of my support hand, the safety is then against the side of my shooting thumb and it feels like it's pushing it away from the side of the gun too much?
My gun hand thumb is on the safety and my support hand thumb is wrapped up over my gun hand thumb, so they are both riding the safety to make sure it stays down. Others may do it differently, but you really need to ride the safety to make sure it stays down when you want to shoot. In the classic thumbs forward hold, the support hand thumb is extended along the frame under the gun hand thumb (which is on the safety of a 1911). So when I shoot a gun without a thumb safety, the two thumbs forward feels awkward to me and I still wrap my support hand thumb over the gun hand thumb and rotate them both downward. I don't know if this is a disadvantage or not. When I did my crazy stippling job on my Glock 19, I stippled a pad on the left side of the frame trying to get some purchase for a thumbs forward hold, but it didn't help me much.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
My gun hand thumb is on the safety and my support hand thumb is wrapped up over my gun hand thumb, so they are both riding the safety to make sure it stays down. Others may do it differently, but you really need to ride the safety to make sure it stays down when you want to shoot. In the classic thumbs forward hold, the support hand thumb is extended along the frame under the gun hand thumb (which is on the safety of a 1911). So when I shoot a gun without a thumb safety, the two thumbs forward feels awkward to me and I still wrap my support hand thumb over the gun hand thumb and rotate them both downward. I don't know if this is a disadvantage or not. When I did my crazy stippling job on my Glock 19, I stipple a pad on the left side of the frame trying to get some purchase for a thumbs forward hold, but it didn't help me much.

It definitely feels better to me with my shooting hand thumb on the safety, so good to know. My support hand thumbs does feel awkward and out of place in the forward position. My short fat support thumb, sits around the slide stop, so I definitely do not want to keep the slide from locking back because I am hitting the slide stop.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
It definitely feels better to me with my shooting hand thumb on the safety, so good to know. My support hand thumbs does feel awkwared and out of place in the forward position. My short fat support thumb, sits around the slide stop, so I definitely do not want to keep the slide from locking back because I am hitting the slide stop.

That's another issue I have with the thumbs forward grip. I also find that when I attempt to place my support thumb forward, my sights don't align properly, resulting in the front sight being high. Also, my grip strength with the support hand feels weaker. Instead of creating more control of the pistol, for me it results in a less stable grip. YMMV. Whatever downside my choice of thumb position creates (if any), the thumbs forward position is far worse.

OkieStubble

That's another issue I have with the thumbs forward grip. I also find that when I attempt to place my support thumb forward, my sights don't align properly, resulting in the front sight being high. Also, my grip strength with the support hand feels weaker. Instead of creating more control of the pistol, for me it results in a less stable grip. YMMV. Whatever downside my choice of thumb position creates (if any), the thumbs forward position is far worse.

I will fidget with all this at the range. :)

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Perhaps I have short thumbs, dunno, but if I extend my support thumb forward, it requires me to rotate my wrist forward and downward, destroying grip strength and causes the front sight to ride high.

OkieStubble

Perhaps I have short thumbs, dunno, but if I extend my support thumb forward, it requires me to rotate my wrist forward and downward, destroying grip strength and causes the front sight to ride high.

I have also felt like my support grip strength isn't as firm or as supportive with the Springfield as it is when I am holding glocks.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
This is kinda sorta how I've been doing the safety for decades...when it's at about a 45 degree angle or a bit more out of the holster. If going into a retention position, if the safety tripped the hammer it would be about a groin shot. :eek2:

OkieStubble

I was searching thru 1911 videos and came across this.

4 Reasons I Don't Trust The 1911 With My Life.

He mad some salient points. However, he did say, if you want to put the kind of money & time into your 1911. it can/will work as reliably as any other type/brand of pistol for SD. But what really jumped out at me on one of his points.

Is spending all that time and money on a 1911, then spending all the time and money finding your life depending reliable brand of magazine; and then searching and shooting the many different types of ammo to find that one life depending brand. If/ when you did have to use it in SD, it gets taken and put into the court system for God knows how long.

I can spend $500 on a Glock, carry it right out of the box with any kind of ammo and if it gets used in SD and taken by the courts, I can reach in my safe and grab another $500 Glock. A person can spend $2000+ getting their 1911 to this place and if it gets used and taken in a shooting, how many more $2000+ 1911's do you got?

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
^ That guy has big mitts compared to mine, my thumbs won't easily extend like his does. I never thought of myself as having small hands, I wear a large size glove. That is essentially the same drill I mentioned above.

OkieStubble

This is kinda sorta how I've been doing the safety for decades...when it's at about a 45 degree angle or a bit more out of the holster. If going into a retention position, if the safety tripped the hammer it would be about a groin shot. :eek2:

Seems simple enough. :)

OkieStubble

^ That guy has big mitts compared to mine, my thumbs won't easily extend like his does. I never thought of myself as having small hands, I wear a large size glove. That is essentially the same drill I mentioned above.

I wear large gloves also so I can squeeze my fat hands into them. But there is always plenty of room left in the tips of the fingers. :)

I don't share this often... you know why I love 1911's... and I do have Glocks, had lots of Sigs, will be getting another Sig, HK's, wheel guns?

First of all... the single action trigger. VERY SWEET! 1911's have a great trigger design. Especially when tuned. Love the trigger.

Second... especially with a CCO... Commander slide on Officer's frame. Very slim, carries beautifully, in a FINE OWB and IWB, slips in smoothly, tight to the body.

Third... if you have a lightweight design... SO MUCH THE BETTER ( for some), mine is 27.5 ounces... not too bad.

These are my three plusses for carrying a lightweight CCO.

Compared to a Sig, Glock, HK... you gotta at first, get to know your 1911. Some are100% right out of the box. Some need to be massaged... you got to figure some things out. You might have to... adjust a thing or two. You might have to pay some more attention to a quirk or two. Most if not all of the latter, from a well made 1911, can be fixed with little effort. Some might need a tool taken to it, a file, a light tap or two. It will become 100% reliable, have a little patience.

Once you get the 1911 to your liking, trust me, you will have a smile on your face EVERY TIME you pull the trigger. I... don't... get that with my Glock. Those who have 1911's, admit it... you feel the same way.

The 1911 is just a beautiful design! To me, it's as simple as that. Enjoy your 1911... or Glock! The positive end result... will save your life, or that of a loved one. I love the old adage... beware the man with one gun... for they surely know how to use it.

Stay safe!

I don't share this often... you know why I love 1911's... and I do have Glocks, had lots of Sigs, will be getting another Sig, HK's, wheel guns?

First of all... the single action trigger. VERY SWEET! 1911's have a great trigger design. Especially when tuned. Love the trigger.

Second... especially with a CCO... Commander slide on Officer's frame. Very slim, carries beautifully, in a FINE OWB and IWB, slips in smoothly, tight to the body.

Third... if you have a lightweight design... SO MUCH THE BETTER ( for some), mine is 27.5 ounces... not too bad.

These are my three plusses for carrying a lightweight CCO.

Compared to a Sig, Glock, HK... you gotta at first, get to know your 1911. Some are100% right out of the box. Some need to be massaged... you got to figure some things out. You might have to... adjust a thing or two. You might have to pay some more attention to a quirk or two. Most if not all of the latter, from a well made 1911, can be fixed with little effort. Some might need a tool taken to it, a file, a light tap or two. It will become 100% reliable, have a little patience.

Once you get the 1911 to your liking, trust me, you will have a smile on your face EVERY TIME you pull the trigger. I... don't... get that with my Glock. Those who have 1911's, admit it... you feel the same way.

The 1911 is just a beautiful design! To me, it's as simple as that. Enjoy your 1911... or Glock! The positive end result... will save your life, or that of a loved one. I love the old adage... beware the man with one gun... for they surely know how to use it.

Stay safe!

Certainly on target, but admittedly, they’re a pain to reassemble after field stripping and cleaning. They’re worth the pain though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I was searching thru 1911 videos and came across this.

4 Reasons I Don't Trust The 1911 With My Life.

He mad some salient points....

So in this video, he talks about what he sees in classes. Well by definition, persons attending classes with a 1911 probably have not mastered the manual of arms yet. That to me is not a valid critique of the 1911, it is a critique of students, not the gun system.

My favorite 1911 book! Learned a real lot from it.
20210219_170546.jpg
Highly recommended.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
So in this video, he talks about what he sees in classes. Well by definition, persons attending classes with a 1911 probably have not mastered the manual of arms yet. That to me is not a valid critique of the 1911, it is a critique of students, not the gun system.

What he said. The guy seems like he only has worked with the combat tupperware and doesn't exactly know what he's talking about concerning 1911s.

Familiararity breeds...muscle memory.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
All I can say is run some rounds thru it, Rob. You'll either like it or sell it to me (Seriously! I'll take it off your hands). Yvette had a chance to test drive one of my 2011s and she is the queen of limp wrist-ing a pistol. Put a Glock in her hands and no issues so I got her a Glock 19. No disparaging her, no "Ew, it's a Glock", just glad she has a gun she feels comfortable with. I've been shooting 1911s since Granddad put his 1911 that he "borrowed" from Uncle Sugar post Hiroshima in my hands at the tender age of 10 (Twisted old coot! :lol: ). I've always been attracted to them. Don't know why, just have. Funny story about manual of arms... Been shooting the Sig alot and I love it but... I doubt I would ever carry it? Why? Because every time I drop the slide I instinctively swipe my thumb up to engage the thumb safety. Good form I suppose but "if" I have to use it in a high stress situation and I go to click it off and its not there then what? Will my lizard brain panic and freeze me up just long enough to get myself killed? I can't say but trying to learn an RMR after 40+ years of iron sights tells me I should stick with what I know... Maybe your 1911 will be a range toy just like my Sig is while I'll carry a 1911 and you'll carry a Glock. I got your six either way!

Last edited:

OkieStubble

I know from the owner's manual and specs, my Springfield Range Officer has a match grade bull barrel, match grade trigger, full length steel guide rod, titanium firing pin and competition lockwork, whatever that means. I also noticed it has an adjustable trigger? So how does one adjust one of these?

thumbnail (1).jpg

I think maybe my Springfield RO is similar to your CCO? Because it has a Commander sized slide and the frame also seems to be very much an officer's sized frame? Very slim and somewhat light? :)

thumbnail.jpg

Since Springfield took care of the chamber reaming, the recut and polishing of the feeding ramp and tuning the ejector and extractor, I went ahead and took a dremel with just a cotton polishing wheel and some Maas, and polished the rib portion underneath the bottom of the slide. Hoping this will keep the slide from dragging against the next round up in the magazine and pulling the round out and dropping thru the mag well when the mag is ejected.

I'm in this for the duration for sure. The more I hold it the more I like it. :)

Stay safe!

Thanks for the good advice! :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom