What's new

Glock Perfection: Even More Perfect? We Shall See.

Cleaned the inside of the barrel on the SS today and wiped down the outside of the pistol. While I had to take a small toothbrush to the front of the slide to clean the baked on powder residue from 1,190 rounds, I’m probably going to leave the inside of the slide and frame dirty until it at least malfunctions, in order just to see how far it will go being dirty.

I might have to switch the Streamlight TLR-8 out for a longer version like a TLR-1 or 2, because the shorter TLR-8’s bezel and lens sits flush right below the muzzle. The lens was totally black and soot covered after so many rounds and the light could not be seen until cleaned.

Makes me wonder if heat from the muzzle would affect the bezel? A longer model would at least keep the lens out in front of the muzzle?
Threaded barrel and Strike Circle Comp are really your best bet. That's the original "Roland Special" foundation(e.g., protecting the light). The Circle Comp is the absolute best micro comp currently available and does not vent to 6 o'clock (protecting your TLR).

You can get a longer-bodied light, but if you really run your gun, you will likely damage the seals at the neck, unless you get some monster that sticks waaaaay out there.

I have not had any cycling issues with a Circle Comp using WWB, using OEM springs, but you could certainly drop a pound or two, if needed.

Edit: I'll get a pic or two up tomorrow, midday.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Threaded barrel and Strike Circle Comp are really your best bet. That's the original "Roland Special" foundation(e.g., protecting the light). The Circle Comp is the absolute best micro comp currently available and does not vent to 6 o'clock (protecting your TLR).

You can get a longer-bodied light, but if you really run your gun, you will likely damage the seals at the neck, unless you get some monster that sticks waaaaay out there.

I have not had any cycling issues with a Circle Comp using WWB, using OEM springs, but you could certainly drop a pound or two, if needed.

Edit: I'll get a pic or two up tomorrow, midday.

Great post and advice Rob. I like that comp much better than the KKM comp.

I will pick up a match grade threaded barrel from KKM as @KW Driver suggested. While not threaded, I have a KKM match for a Glock 20 that is a shooter! Best match grade barrels out there for the money imo.

I like the looks of that SC comp and it not blowing fire & smoke from the 6 o’clock will allow me to keep the TLR-8. I really like the small lighter TLR-8. While small and compact, it gives me 500 lumens of dark clearing and has a red dot laser beneath the light.

While I probably will never use that laser, I have the Holosun SCS320’s green dot sighted in exactly to 15 yards with that laser, so if the zombie apocalypse comes, when I switch the Holosun to the 32MOA circle, not only does it absolutely co-witness with the irons, but the red laser dot sits perfectly centered in that green circle at 10-15 yards.

Should help in making one hell of an accurate zombie busting head shot. :)

Word of caution w the Olight w laser.....it did NOT hold zero in a G47......worked as a light. switched to different rail system and hope it works......

OkieStubble

Word of caution w the Olight w laser.....it did NOT hold zero in a G47......worked as a light. switched to different rail system and hope it works......

That’s interesting. I can also see that happening with the Streamlight. I think I read once somewhere, about when people tighten their gunlights down really tight to the underside of the pistol’s frame that it can contort or bind the polymer frame and cause inaccuracy? I dunno, but I thought I read something on it somewhere in passing research and just forgot exactly what they were talking about. :)

Last edited:

OkieStubble

just watched Hicock45; his only negative (which is rare), the trigger was worse than the G4. mushy and harder break?

I’ll have to checkout this video. The SS trigger seems much better and improved over the Gen4 G19 I have? The Gen4 is stock with no aftermarket’s or polishing of internals, but it probably has somewhere, at least close to 15k rounds thru it? So it’s probably smoothed out on its own in all the places that matter, but to me, the SS trigger is much better brand new right out of the box. Travel is about the same, but all striker fired polymers have some travel just by the inherent nature of their design. But the SS has no mushy feeling like my Gen4 and the wall isn’t heavy, the break is very crisp and clean and the reset is short and positive. What’s not to love?

:)

OkieStubble

I have seen this video!

I think it’s interesting and kinda funny to note: that right at the beginning of his video he states; “the Glock 19X is his ‘All Time’ absolute favorite handgun…

Then takes a breath and says, now let’s start this totally, “unbiased” review of the 19X against the SS Elite”….

Am I the only one who realizes that when someone goes out of their way to say ‘an unbiased’ review? You can almost bet your britches it’s going to be a biased review?

He would have done much better by his viewers, to 1st, not mention the G19X is his all time absolute favorite pistol; and 2nd? Let the viewer assume as it should be, that it’s naturally going to be a truly ‘unbiased’ review. As it should be. Because going thru the trouble of actually having to mention it’s going to be unbiased?

Is probably self projection of ‘unconscious bias’? :)

Plus, I don’t consider the 19X to be a Gen4 production. While it’s not officially a Gen5 either, Glock was manufacturing it between the Gen 4 & 5 models, but it has more Gen5 engineering features and design ideas for a better trigger like the Gen5.

Does the Gen4 still have Glocks famous ‘Glock Bump’ on the trigger bar? Why yes it does. Does the Gen5? No. Does the 19X? :)

You should find another video of a SS MR920 review going against an ‘actual Gen4’? And then see what they say about which has the better trigger out of the box? :)

I remember at the beginning of this thread of mine, you stated; “I have no horse in this race”? Are you sure?

I’m just posting my thoughts on the comparisons of the evaluations I’m doing against my particular SS MR920 that I have? Against other Glocks that I also have? I own 8 Glocks? Trust me brother, if I say something good about something I find I like about the SS, I’m not disparaging Glock? I am a dyed in the wool ultra biased Glock Fanboy. I don’t need your help trying to find where the Glock is better then the SS?

Just sayin. :)

Last edited:
Most reviews are biased.....and most I think are done by shills.
That bump in Gen4 was horrible, Gen3's could be placed. Those bumps will actually erode!
BTW, shadow systems is a copy of Gen3 not 4.

OkieStubble

Most reviews are biased.....and most I think are done by shills.
That bump in Gen4 was horrible, Gen3's could be placed. Those bumps will actually erode!
BTW, shadow systems is a copy of Gen3 not 4.

This is the first I have heard of the Glock bump eroding? I wonder how many rounds that would take?

From Shadow Systems website FAQ’s page;

As far as Generations go, our pistol is modeled on the Gen 4 operating system so go with that choice if its applicable.

While Shadow Systems decided to base their 920’s on the Gen3 in 2016, since then, they have incorporated the Gen4 frame with Gen3 internal parts. If one looks closely, they will see Gen4 externals, like the standard Gen4 magazine release, slide lock etc. Also, the Gen4 slide fits perfectly on the SS frame. Gen3 slides will slide onto the frame as well, but there will be a big gap of space under the nose of the guide rod.

This is what I personally think is the coolest fact about Shadow Systems owner and CEO Trevor Roe. While he started off in the beginning basing it totally off of the Gen3, over the years he has actually listened to customer feedback and has now created a Glock clone that incorporates the best ideas from the Gen3 and Gen4 where many of the different Glock parts from both Gen’s are compatible with the pistol.

I’m sure sooner or later, he’s liable to figure out how to incorporate Glocks Gen5 competition trigger as well. :)

Nice, to be candid, all thin info regarding these guns I have read from you (and two vids I had watched on the little gun they make (43ish)). And when I saw them on clearance at Academy ..... I almost got it.....and then I got home and started to read just a bit on them.....that is where I stumbled on those 2 vids with bad feedback on their triggers.

I think what is important is that you like yours and it works fine.

In my case, and knowing my (bad)Luck, I am glad I did not buy it, because I am sure mine would have had a horrible trigger....(something that can be fixed; but I just don't have the energy any more).

OkieStubble

Nice, to be candid, all thin info regarding these guns I have read from you (and two vids I had watched on the little gun they make (43ish)). And when I saw them on clearance at Academy ..... I almost got it.....and then I got home and started to read just a bit on them.....that is where I stumbled on those 2 vids with bad feedback on their triggers.

I think what is important is that you like yours and it works fine.

In my case, and knowing my (bad)Luck, I am glad I did not buy it, because I am sure mine would have had a horrible trigger....(something that can be fixed; but I just don't have the energy any more).

Your experience at Academy Sports of seeing them on clearance has me very curious of what state you live in? I am a gun guy, so I probably hit up the gun counter’s at Academy Sports here in my state at least once a week if not more sometimes. I do this same thing at Cabela’s, Bass Pro and most of the independent LGS’s in my area?

To this day, in my state at least, Shadow Systems pistols have not been in inventory or sold at Academy, much less on being on clearance? And we have several Academy stores locally. They just have never had them here.

I know they sell them here at Cabela’s, but they are so popular and in demand the few they get in? Are always sold out the exact same day when they get them.

I tried for months to find one in stock here at my local Cabela’s, because being a Glock Guru, I had my doubts about SS or any other ‘Glock substitute’ and wanted to get my hands on one first, before purchasing, but they were just never in stock from being so popular. This popularity, is what made me finally just order it online and make a blind faith purchase?

Your post of them ‘being on clearance’ where you are; and being at Academy Sports in stock in bulk amounts?

I dunno dude, sounds pretty amazing too me? :). Maybe if I came to where you’re from, I could have picked it up for a lot cheaper since they are so unpopular there and nobody wants them and they are on clearance and the academy shelves are stocked? :)

However, you are 100% correct about me sir. As a biased Glock fanboy, I am very pleased so far with my SS MR920 and their innovation of updating and modernizing the modern Glock for Glock lovers, since apparently, Glock refuses to do it?

But as a long time totally convinced, loyal Glock fan? I emphasize the phrase of only ‘so far’? Because all I have done yet in my evaluation of my personal Shadow Systems, is put a 1,000 rounds of various brands of FMJ and 200 rounds of various HP defense loads thru it, without even the slightest glitch? And all while leaving it filthy?

But my eval of it has just begun, So I am not convinced yet. Just like you; I owe Glock my loyalty, but c’mon dude, please don’t use my review thread to downplay the SS with lame bias that borders delirium?

I mean, you don’t even own one?

Trust me bro, I’m Team Glock thru and thru, if this SS gives me the slightest reason to doubt or hate it?

I will make sure I do it here in this thread. For the both of us? ;)

Last edited:
Two Academy stores had them , brown/yellow lower+ standard upper $549

All Shadow Systems were on sale before; 2 or 3 weeks ago Academy (that was a. sale on line and in store).

You know Academy does not allow you to dry fire, so you get what you get......and if you don't like it....you are screwed.

OkieStubble

Two Academy stores had them , brown/yellow lower+ standard upper $549

All Shadow Systems were on sale before; 2 or 3 weeks ago Academy (that was a. sale on line and in store).

You know Academy does not allow you to dry fire, so you get what you get......and if you don't like it....you are screwed.

I know earlier in my thread, you didn’t care to provide me with any links to back up your claims about John Lovell’s War Poets taking a dump because of their magazines.

Could you please post a link of Academy selling these Shadow Systems in your area online? I surely would appreciate it? Because Academy doesn’t sell them here.

It would be a big help for my research and review of my SS MR920 in this thread.

No disrespect intended sir, but consistently posting negative posts that don’t come from personal experience or from so called facts that you won’t provide links for? Seem to be only inspired in order to be contrary to any of the positives I find from personally testing my sample?

I don’t get you posting videos of clearly biased videos either? A dude that clearly states his absolute love for the Glock 19X puts it up against an SS and then says he prefers the 19X?

If you are not going to help my review thread with your posts, links or comments, it makes it appear sir, you are only attempting negativity posts to be contrary to any positives I find by personally reviewing the pistol myself?

You are always welcome in this thread and I appreciate any information or help you can provide in learning about the Shadow Systems line of pistol’s sir, but if you are not going to post anything of substance, even if it’s negative that’s ok, but it should be more concrete information or at least doesn’t look like biased info?
And you don’t mind providing the links to help?

Then it just kinda looks like trolling sir? :)

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Okie,
Here is a link to academy in my area selling the pistols:

Looking forward to more of your findings with this pistol.

Thank you very much good sir! :)

Glad to know the $679 price they have on the Foundation is the same I got for it online. Didn’t see a ‘clearance sale’ on the Shadow Systems. :)

I still am curious as why Academy isn’t selling it here in my state?

Now I need some links to some unbiased reviews of SS’s triggers? I think mine is pretty good and I have read many who think the same in other gun forums.

And while in my research I have read where a few are replacing their triggers with Glocks newer competition trigger, they didn’t say SS’s was bad, just they liked the Glock Comp better. :)

I haven’t handled many Glock Gen5’s yet. I need to find someone with a Gen5 Comp trigger who will let me shoot it and see if I like it better than my SS. :)

Last edited:

OkieStubble

So do aftermarket trigger for Glock, like the Apex, work in the Shadow System models?

I have noticed there are aftermarket triggers out there that are designed to fit either Gen3 and Gen4 and others that are 3 or 4 specific.

Earlier models of SS were gen3 frames and more current models are based off of the Gen4, so it all depends on if their Gen specific or can fit either frame.

John, you know I have a soft spot in my heart for Timney triggers…. :)

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I have noticed there are aftermarket triggers out there that are designed to fit either Gen3 and Gen4 and others that are 3 or 4 specific.

Earlier models of SS were gen3 frames and more current models are based off of the Gen4, so it all depends on if their Gen specific or can fit either frame.

John, you know I have a soft spot in my heart for Timney triggers…. :)

Good! So it seems to me that whether a Glock Gen whatever has a better trigger than any given Shadow Systems is essentially a non-issue if there is an appropriate aftermarket solution.

OkieStubble

Good! So it seems to me that whether a Glock Gen whatever has a better trigger than any given Shadow Systems is essentially a non-issue if there is an appropriate aftermarket solution.

Makes sense to me. I’m trying to figure out why a Shadow Systems owner would want to attempt to modify a Gen5 trigger to fit and drop inside their Gen4 based SS, instead of just getting the Gen5 in the first place? :)

Makes sense to me. I’m trying to figure out why a Shadow Systems owner would want to attempt to modify a Gen5 trigger to fit and drop inside their Gen4 based SS, instead of just getting the Gen5 in the first place? :)
grip angle/pointability? I'm not 100% satisfied with my 19 G5 and the three backstrap options. I've been fine with up through 4s.

I think there's a couple other updgrades too.

Top Bottom