What's new

Are The Ruger LCP Models Durable?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
So I sent back to Ruger, my LCP II and the wife’s LCP Max which both, broke in just a couple of days of each other.

Ruger only had them a couple of days and FedEx notified me I should be getting them at my door tomorrow. Here in lies the problem. I don’t know if I have confidence in them anymore?

I have several other different Ruger firearms with no questions in their quality of construction or reliability. My SP101 is a tank, so is my Blackhawk, Single Six and I’m pretty sure my stainless 10/22 is good to go also.

At one time, I also thought the LCP’s were good to go also, but now I don’t know? The LCP II showed no troubles for at least 600 rounds or more in a 10 year time frame? It was never used as a range gun, but it was carried a lot previously by the wife before I got her the Max and I have carried it last summer quite a bit. So why is it breaking after just 600 rounds?

We did have trouble with the Max right out of the gate when we first got it a year ago with reliability and accuracy problems when it was new, but after them mailing a second Complete upper with new slide and barrel to me, I had to send it back to Ruger two different times. So after 3 different slides and barrels and then addressing the horrible trigger issues, it has been good to go now for somewhere around the 400-500 round mark. So why is it breaking now?

I called Ruger customer service today and asked them if they could tell me what problems did they find with both pistols and what specific repairs did they do for both pistols to rectify their issues?

Almost immediately, the customer service representative who I was speaking to, her tone of voice went from helpful and pleasant to a tone of being guarded and adversarial. She stated that a full explanation would be in each pistol’s box. I advised her, that years ago, I sent two original LCP’s back into Ruger for repair and neither had an explanation of repairs in their boxes. I also advised her that I sent the Max in twice over the last year and no note of an explanation of repairs came back with it either?

She stated that these would. So I asked her; “if the LCP II and Max come back and these explanations of repair are not in the boxes, can I call you back and get an explanation on the phone?” She said that I could. So I asked her; “if I can call you back then and you can tell me, why can’t you just tell me now; and make a customer very happy?” Her tone seemed to get even more serious and she asked me for their serial numbers. I very nicely, recited the serial numbers to her. She checked her computer logs and very unhappily, advised me that the entire lower frame of the Ruger LCP II was replaced. She also told me, that again, for the fourth time, Ruger has again replaced the complete upper slide assembly, including the barrel and guide rod assembly and are sending them back to me.

I again asked her specifically; “ what did they find wrong with both pistol’s?” And she stated, she can only tell me what was replaced, not what was wrong.

While I couldn’t see what was wrong with the LCP II’s frame and why it was ejecting the magazine after every round fired, I could easily see the broken steel on the slide of the Max where the hole on the front of the slide where the guide rod goes thru was chipped and made bigger so that the recoil springs were also going thru this hole when they are not supposed to go thru that hole.

Should I keep these guns? I’m sure a new frame on the LCP II will fix the mag from ejecting after every round, but for how long? For only the next 600 rounds? I carried it all summer in that condition without knowing it?

Should I keep the Max? It’s only a year old with already 4 different slides, barrels and guide rod assemblies? Will the steel in this new fourth slide begin to break around the hole in the slide that’s made for the guide rod to pass thru and not the recoil spring? This was after only 400 or so rounds?

My wife carried it every day last summer. Took it to the range and the steel on the slide broke! If that would have been a self defense incident instead of the range?

How many rounds do you guys have thru your LCP’s? What models of LCP is yours?

And the biggest question; when is the last time you had your LCP at the range to make sure it’s still good to go when you need it to be?

Last edited:

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I’ve had my original LCP since 2009 and have over 2000rnds through it. I had it sent it back to Ruger in 2010, I think, to have the little shelf of metal milled off and have had no issues since. I don’t know if Ruger changed the design of the Keltec they copied too much to cause issues with the newer models but after your experience I’ll stick with my 1st gen.

OkieStubble

I’ve had my original LCP since 2009 and have over 2000rnds through it. I had it sent it back to Ruger in 2010, I think, to have the little shelf of metal milled off and have had no issues since. I don’t know if Ruger changed the design of the Keltec they copied too much to cause issues with the newer models but after your experience I’ll stick with my 1st gen.

I seem to recall, the two 1st Gens the wife and I owned seemed to be a heavier quality? What I have noticed this time around is, why is it so cost efficient for Ruger, to change out an entire frame instead of just the magazine release button on the LCP II? And after 4 different slides and barrels on the Max, why not just trade out the slide that had chipped steel instead of the whole upper assembly including the barrel?

Are these complete part assemblies so cheap that’s it’s cost effective for them? Is the steel partially Zamak or something? Because where it chipped off and broke the steel looked kinda porous?

And why is Ruger so adamant against telling customers what actually went wrong with their LCP’s?

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Are these complete part assemblies so cheap that’s it’s cost effective for them? Is the steel partially Zamak or something? Because where it chipped off and broke the steel looked kinda porous?
It’s probably cheaper than trying to figure out what’s actually wrong with the pistol. Just swap out the entire receiver takes 30 seconds compared to trying to figure out what’s wrong.

And why is Ruger so adamant against telling customers what actually went wrong with their LCP’s?

I imagine that’s a liability thing. The lady/guy on the phone probably has no idea what was actually done or what the words they’re reading off the screen actually mean. If something that was fixed later fails when someone is using it to defend their lives they don’t want it to come back to “the lady on the phone told me that part had been fixed.”

2 cents.

Long time Ruger fan here. Ive got a bolt action chambered in .30-06 I bought new in 1982 and still use for moose and black bear. A Super Blackhawk I bought new in 1991 that has over 10,000 hot 44 mag hand loads through it. I use a PC9 around the fishing camp on the US Canadian border for pesky 4 legged critters in the heat of summer and -30 winter weather. Ive carried an LCR with confidence for over a dozen years. I love Rugers and they have all proven to be excellent well made reliable tools.
Ive never owned the 2 semi auto pistols you are having trouble with so I’ve no experience with them. Having said all that….I believe Sir you answered your own question When you stated “I don’t know if I have confidence in them”.

If they were mine I’d get rid of them. I have no interest in owning a firearm that I can’t count on 100%. Too much is on the line with a CC weapon.

OkieStubble

2 cents.

Long time Ruger fan here. Ive got a bolt action chambered in .30-06 I bought new in 1982 and still use for moose and black bear. A Super Blackhawk I bought new in 1991 that has over 10,000 hot 44 mag hand loads through it. I use a PC9 around the fishing camp on the US Canadian border for pesky 4 legged critters in the heat of summer and -30 winter weather. Ive carried an LCR with confidence for over a dozen years. I love Rugers and they have all proven to be excellent well made reliable tools.
Ive never owned the 2 semi auto pistols you are having trouble with so I’ve no experience with them. Having said all that….I believe Sir you answered your own question When you stated “I don’t know if I have confidence in them”.

If they were mine I’d get rid of them. I have no interest in owning a firearm that I can’t count on 100%. Too much is on the line with a CC weapon.

I agree. I have and own multiple different models of Ruger firearms. But two different models of LCP break down with in just two days of each seems like a sign to me.

I’m not too broken-hearted over the LCP II, but I really had my hopes up for the 12 round capacity of the LCP Max. But I am forced to draw the line at 4 different slides and complete upper receivers in just a year’s time.

I know the Glock 42 that replaces her Max will always work even though it’s only 6 rounds in the magazine and one in the chamber.

I went with the LCR in 9mm when they first cane on the market as a carry option. I have more confidence in a mechanical over semi if the need ever arose.

Weeellll... I'm not a fan of Rugers in general, unless you're a gunsmith or fairly advanced tinkerer. Ruger revolvers are built like tanks- true. It's also true what Tom Clancy said about the Russian T-62s in storage- they carried 2 large containers of oil so that after they ran 100 kM, the crews were supposed to dump the oil (and ***load of mill shavings) and pour in fresh so as not to completely destroy the seals. Ruger revos tolerate a good bit of filing and polishing to smooth them out.

Autos- the MkII and P-85s are/were decent, but their other offerings are not a whole lot different than '80s Taurus clones, some being stellar, some absolute turds.

From what I've seen and heard, there are fewer and fewer in-house made firearm parts by nominally "American made" manufacturers, and as with any contract situation, they try to select the lowest cost with the lowest failure rate. As it is highly unlikely that someone will sue a manufacturer because a firearm didn't work (outside of Gov/LE agencies) very low bids can be accepted for commercial sales, meaning it is cheaper to replace than diagnose & fix.

I really like the Ruger revolvers, and everyone should own a 10/22. When they first came out I won a LCP in a raffle, and had high hopes for it. Loved the concept. Trigger went dead at 49 rounds. I know that’s one sample, but I wouldn’t carry one. Given your experience I can’t imagine you’d trust them either. Like ColtRevolver I’m not a fan of the Ruger semiauto pistols. P85 is probably ok, but those things are huge. All that being said, I always tell people everything can break. If a manufacturer made something that didn’t break they wouldn’t have to give a warranty, would they?

Addendum - I forgot about my MKII. Those things are great!

@rob- this summer was unusually hot, did you leave your LCPs in the car/truck on any regular basis, e.g., going to a class or something similar a few days in a row, in a NPE? Usually if one of the poly frame guns gets a replacement it's because the frame became distorted.

Theoretically, it could also have happened if you had several working days with it cinched to you and you were out in +100* temps.

OkieStubble

I probably won't get rid of my LCP Max, but I probably won't carry it either, it will just be a range toy?

Ruger’s great customer service was quick to get them, quick to fix them and quick to send them back. I’m even sure that they will work when I take them back to the range.
But the question will always be in my mind; “for how long and how many rounds thru it before it happens again?

You are exactly right. Of it’s just a range gun, it doesn’t matter when it breaks, but as a carry gun? Which is marketed to be a ground breaking, high capacity, very concealable self defense pistol? What is Ruger thinking?

While there is no way to know for sure; and since Ruger doesn’t want to explain and keep it a dirty little secret; I think I can assume with a high degree of possibility on being right the issue with both pistols.

1. The LCP II.

This pistol has been reliably carried by my wife for a decade. Whenever I take her to the range to shoot other guns, like her G43 or AR-15 etc, she would always pull her Ruger LCP II from her waistband or pocket and just like in a real life a self defense action, empty an entire 7 rounds into a humanoid target. Not lubricated because of months of constant carry, with pocket lint in the hammer, loose long hairs from her head wrapped around the trigger or stuck in the slide. Just like it would be used in real life.

Over a decade, the little LCP II has always gone bang? So what happened after I carried it not every day this past summer, but if I was in shorts, t-shirt and flip flops? That LCP II was most likely in my pocket.

What is my guess of why the magazine is ejecting after every round fired now? After at least 600 hundred rounds of not doing it? What have me a clue or a good hunch? Shield Arms makes an all steel, high capacity, 15 round magazines for owners of the G43X and G48 models of Glock. However, Shield arms realizes, or at least cares about the fact that if the small square recession hole on the magazine is disengaged from the Glock pistols which also have a plastic magazine release button? Common sense would say, that metal hole in the mag rubbing against that plastic thumb disconnect lever is going to cause friction and eventually wear down the plastic release button? Eventually, that plastic button isn’t going to hold that steel magazine in the grip? Especially under recoil? Let’s say; after 600 rounds or so?

Could this be happening with my LCP II that Ruger doesn’t care enough about my safety in a possible self defense action and at least tell me about it if they don’t want to use a steel mag release button with a steel magazine instead of the plastic one they have now? I mean, what’s more important? Ruger keeping their cost down on the design? Or loyal and faithful customers who own several Ruger firearms and expect them to keep their firearms dependable and of quality like they used to do in years past?

@Whisky , what is the mag button on your original LCP made of? I’m curious to know? If it’s plastic? And the mag is steel? I’m glad it’s still working with the round count you have thru it, but a closer inspection of the mag button inside the grip could be prudent? If an small independent aftermarket company like Shield Arms deems it responsible to make steel mag buttons to go with their steel magazines? Should someone with the reputation of Ruger be just as responsible? :)

2. The LCP Max

When myself and @nortac first got our LCP Max’s, we both had trouble with accuracy. Ruger sent us both different complete upper assemblies without even asking for the old slide and barrels back?

Doesn’t that seem odd? They didn’t even care to get the defective one’s back and sent us both, brand spanking new ones in the mail, no questions asked? After getting them, we both, still had accuracy problems with overly heavy trigger breaks that was throwing shot’s completely off paper even at just 3 yards!

I took the initiative first and sent mine back to Ruger telling them I think it’s the trigger and not the upper assembly. Ruger sent it back to me with a third brand new upper assembly and didn’t do squat to the trigger or for it’s impossibly heavy break. I sent it back to Ruger a second time and I was rightfully ticked off this time, sending Ruger a huge email telling them that my 3rd upper now is unreliable and the pistol is malfunctioning AND to fix the trigger. I even specifically told them and I quote; “RUGER, ITS THE TRIGGER! ITS DESIGNED TO BE A ClOSE RANGE SELF DEFENSE PISTOL! I CANT HIT ANYTHING AT 3 YARDS! FIX MY MAX!

They sent it back to me with another slide and barrel which finally was reliable and I could easily tell they switched out the trigger and trigger spring and the spring appeared to be of somewhat a slight difference in design. My wife’s Max was now; finally, reliable and accurate with close fast shots and longer slow shots, my little lady could consistently hit center mass at 12-15 yards with those great sights on the Max.

So what happened? Here’s what I think…. Anyone ever see the double recoil spring on the Max’s small, but all steel guide rod? Anyone notice, how thin, frail and weak those two springs are? Notice how instead of having any kind of stiffness they are very flexible? @nortac John?

My wife’s New Glock 42 .380 captive recoil spring has a thick steel captive frame that encircles and encompasses its spring and rod? But Ruger? That flexible spring, flexes to each side under recoil when firing. This forces the tip of the ‘all steel’ guide rod to go out of alignment as it passes thru the hole in the front of the slide and hammering the harder steel tip of the rod against the side of the hole in the front of the ‘softer’ steel slide. Which then, after say; 400-500 rounds of hot .380? Starts chipping away at the hole? So eventually l, widening the hole that only the rod is supposed to go thru under recoil, but now allowing the double recoil springs to go thru and get stuck while under compression. Then when the slide returns to battery, the springs won’t de- compress allowing the springs and guide rod to stay stuck in the guide rod hole which is located in the front of the slide just below the hole that’s made for the barrel. I witnessed this chipped and wider boted out hole with my own eyes.

But no, Ruger can’t discuss it with me, a loyal Ruger customer of many years who owns, 7 different Ruger firearms. Please Ruger, don’t be concerned for me or my spouse when we unknowingly carry two different variants of your LCP all summer while unknowingly oblivious to their cheap materials they are made with. And then be unwilling to discuss it.

Top Bottom