What's new

The Puzzling & Curious World of 1911

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
How many rounds are in the magazine? You mentioned loading with 8. Is that 7+1, or 8+0?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The mag starts out full with 7. Once I chamber the round, I would like to, flip the the thumb safety up, eject the magazine, and top off the mag.

But when I eject the mag the second round in the mag which has also been extracted with the first round for some unknown reason, falls thru the mag well.

When at the range, when I try to load a round from the mag and shoot, once the firing pin is tripped by the trigger pull, it doesn’t fire, because there is a second loose round sitting in the receiver between the firing pin and chambered round.

So, before trying to take the pistol to the range and shoot it, I am going to see if I can set the springs by keeping them loaded to capacity.

It worked once, it should work again. Once my other mags get here from Wilson, If the Checkmate mags refuse to comply with my coaxing them to set their springs, I will just throw them in a dark closet and forget about them.

Once I have three working Wilson Combat mags in hand, Then I can go to the range and shoot some of the precious as gold ammo I have, to see if the work Springfield did to the pistol makes it reliable.

It just doesn’t seem like I should go spend ammo in an ammo shortage and then still don’t know, if possible malfunctions is the pistol or magazines?

Not to mention once the pistol shows its reliability with FMJ, I then, still have to figure out what HP defense load it will feed.

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
The mag starts out full with 7. Once I chamber the round, I would like to, flip the the thumb safety up, eject the magazine, and top off the mag.

But when I eject the mag the second round in the mag which has also been extracted with the first round for some unknown reason, falls thru the mag well.

When at the range, when I try to load a round from the mag and shoot, once the firing pin is tripped by the trigger pull, it doesn’t fire, because there is a second loose round sitting in the receiver between the firing pin and chambered round.

So, before trying to take the pistol to the range and shoot it, I am going to see if I can set the springs by keeping them loaded to capacity.

It worked once, it should work again. Once my other mags get here from Wilson, If the Checkmate mags refuse to comply with my coaxing them to set their springs, I will just throw them in a dark closet and forget about them.

Once I have three working Wilson Combat mags in hand, Then I can go to the range and shoot some of the precious as gold ammo I have, to see if the work Springfield did to the pistol makes it reliable.

It just doesn’t seem like I should go spend ammo in an ammo shortage and then still don’t know, if possible malfunctions is the pistol or magazines?
Yeah, I'm not shootin' nothin' on my HillBilly gun range. I got some buckets of .22 so that might be all I do for the foreseeable future. Or until I wanna go camping in WallyWorld parking lots!

OkieStubble

Yeah, I'm not shootin' nothin' on my HillBilly gun range. I got some buckets of .22 so that might be all I do for the foreseeable future. Or until I wanna go camping in WallyWorld parking lots!

I’ve been looking at picking up a .22 single action revolver. Got to hold a Ruger Wrangler at Cabela’s today along with a Heritage Rough Rider.

But they also had two used Ruger Single Six’s for sale. One had a 4 5/8 inch octagonal/ hexagonal barrel for $350 the other had a 6 inch barrel for about $450. Finishes on both seemed worn as they should be.

I came home to contemplate my choices. :)

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I’ve been looking at picking up a .22 single action revolver. Got to hold a Ruger Wrangler at Cabela’s today along with a Heritage Rough Rider.

But they also had two used Ruger Single Six’s for sale. One had a 4 5/8 inch octagonal barrel for $350 the other had a 6 inch barrel for about $450. Finishes on both seemed worn as they should be.

Man.....I'd say buy 'em both if I was usin' yer money....but.....since it's ONLY mostly gonna be killin' tin cans, get the 6". It'll make you feel much cooler hittin' yer target more often!

Not to mention once the pistol shows its reliability with FMJ, I then, still have to figure out what HP defense load it will feed.

Maybe they use the same spring in 7 round mags that they do in 8 round mags and it’s too stiff?

OkieStubble

Maybe they use the same spring in 7 round mags that they do in 8 round mags and it’s too stiff?

Maybe. I don’t think the issue is happening because the Checkmate’s aren’t good magazines, I actually think it’s the opposite.

I think they built the Checkmate’s like tanks so it’s going to take some break in time. Holding and looking at a Checkmate and Wilson in each hand, the Checkmate is heavier, it’s metal case appears thicker and sturdier then the Wilson. So I am assuming it’s spring is probably just much more stiffer.

I think if I don’t give up on them to soon and take the patience to set the springs and break them in, the Checkmate’s will be good to go.

Sooner or later. :)

Maybe. I don’t think the issue is happening because the Checkmate’s aren’t good magazines, I actually think it’s the opposite.

I think they built the Checkmate’s like tanks so it’s going to take some break in time. Holding and looking at a Checkmate and Wilson in each hand, the Checkmate is heavier, it’s metal case appears thicker and sturdier then the Wilson. So I am assuming it’s spring is probably just much more stiffer.

I think if I don’t give up on them to soon and take the patience to set the springs and break them in, the Checkmate’s will be good to go.

Sooner or later. :)

I hope so. My Colt issued Checkmates and extras purchased are all 8 round mags and never had an issue. Could be they use the same spring in both.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
I would start with old school 230gr. Federal Hydrashoks (If they still make them?). Very FMJ-ish... except for the hole! :lol:

A 230 gr RN should feed in any 1911. However, if I had a 1911 that wouldn't feed any weight or profile bullet made, I would try to figure out why and repair it. If that didn't work, I would replace it. I rarely shoot 230gr RN. I mainly shoot either 185gr or 200gr SWC. About all I shoot out of a 1911 is cast, too.

The suspense is killing me! You gotta shoot that gun. Lol. I’m betting it works perfectly.

Also, springs, while the will lose some oomph after being compressed to the max the first time, will only weaken further from flexing. So filling the mags and letting them stay loaded will weaken them some but it doesn’t continue to weaken them. The only way to weaken them further is to fill/ empty them repeatedly. No joke. Take it from a trapper. I play with spring steel way too much!

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member

But they also had two used Ruger Single Six’s for sale. One had a 4 5/8 inch octagonal/ hexagonal barrel for $350 the other had a 6 inch barrel for about $450. Finishes on both seemed worn as they should be.

The wrangler feels darn good in the hand though doesn’t it. I can’t decide between it or a Taurus TX 22.

You've got too much drag.

Possibles (that they hopefully attended to):
Weak mainspring
Tight rails
Tight barrel lugs

Could be a few other things, but I'd start there on a new pistol.

Its worth the $40 to get a reprint of Jerry Khunhausen's 1911 manual.

1911s are nice, but they can take some work, especially since manufacturers no longer have smiths in-house, just assembly techs. Regardless of what you buy, or who makes it, plan on a detail strip, cleaning out rough mill tracks, shavings, excess oil, etc..

OkieStubble

A 230 gr RN should feed in any 1911. However, if I had a 1911 that wouldn't feed any weight or profile bullet made, I would try to figure out why and repair it. If that didn't work, I would replace it. I rarely shoot 230gr RN. I mainly shoot either 185gr or 200gr SWC. About all I shoot out of a 1911 is cast, too.

I didn't even realize they made semi-wad cutters for .45 ACP?

OkieStubble

The suspense is killing me! You gotta shoot that gun. Lol. I’m betting it works perfectly.

Rofl, soon my friend, very soon. :) I bet you're right!

Also, springs, while the will lose some oomph after being compressed to the max the first time, will only weaken further from flexing. So filling the mags and letting them stay loaded will weaken them some but it doesn’t continue to weaken them. The only way to weaken them further is to fill/ empty them repeatedly. No joke. Take it from a trapper. I play with spring steel way too much!

I know there has been a long debate between the two camps of what weakens magazine springs. I agree with you. I am in the camp of continually compressing and releasing would be much better in getting the springs where they need to be.

However, I would like to mention again, we are in a ammo supply shortage? I took 200 rounds last time and sent the gun back to Springfield. If I take it to the range and put another 200 thru it, without making sure the mags are not extracting several rounds at a time?

If my 1911 fails again, wouldn't I still be in the same boat as the first time? Not knowing if it's the pistol or still the mags? Then I would be a total of 400 rounds down the drain, that I could probably re-supply for a $1 or more a round?

If it's worth that right now at the moment, then theoretically, I would have thrown $400 bucks down range and still not know, if Springfield didn't totally fix the pistol, or is it still the mags?

Since loading to capacity all of last week worked, at least until I left them unloaded for a couple of days, then duplicating that several times, surely, will eventually get the springs in the mags to where the pistol won't extract two rounds at the same time?

Then when I take it to the range, if it works 100% I'll know Springfield's armorer's did a good job fixing my beautiful 1911. If it malfunctions, then I'll also know it's the pistol and not the mags. :)

OkieStubble

The wrangler feels darn good in the hand though doesn’t it. I can’t decide between it or a Taurus TX 22.

I don't understand this concept, "decide between?" ;) I think my plan going forward is to find a Ruger Single Six in good condition under $600, or get a pair of Wranglers so the wife can have one also. we both like the black cerekoted Wrangler, which suprised me because I figured she would of went with the silver or burnt bronze.

What I like about the Wrangler, is the cylinder spins freely both ways for loading and unloading. If you over rotate one of the holes in the cylinder to load, you can just go back one, instead of having to rotate all the way around back again in just one direction.

The only thing I think I don't like is, because it does rotate both ways, you don't get that classic sound of the cylinder clicking when spinning it.

Have you seen some of the aftermarket grips for the Wrangler? Many very cool ones to choose from. :)

Top Bottom