What's new

The Puzzling & Curious World of 1911

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
[QUOTE="OkieStubble, post: 11. I’m in Colorado for a few days, but when I get back home, I’ll be excited to get it back to the range and see how the Springfield does after it’s warranty work. :)

Que John Denver's "Rocky Mountain High"........Glad things are working out!
[/QUOTE]

I think the 1911's "getting to know it's individual characteristics" of where you want it to be or getting there, is more important than any other type, style or brand of any other production pistol. I guess this is what makes the 1911 more of a 'personal nature' in the culture of it's fans and those that own and adore it, more than any other type of pistol.

I guess it can endear, those who are experienced owning it and knowing their personal 1911's individual quirks and/or personality? And those same things, can frustrate and cause impatience with the unexperienced and new 1911 owners, like me. :)

OkieStubble

Well, I haven’t had too. That three springs from two different manufacturers would suffer the same would seem to be a long shot.

I haven't had to either, until now, because I have never owned one before. So how do we explain this experienced advice that obviously worked? :)

Try loading the mags and letting them sit for a few days, Rob. Those springs might need some relaxation time...

OkieStubble

Sitting around in the hotel room before bedtime, watching T.V. in Denver last night. I sat on the bed and probably manually cycled the slide on my Springfield 300 to 500 times, I lost count. :) When I get back to the range, I'm hoping that between all the cycling, letting the mags sit full and "relaxing the springs" as Chris @nikonNUT suggested, which has seemed to work and I am very thankful for and appreciative of all the advice and knowledge everyone here has so graciously given me over the last few weeks and all the well wishes of support in my troubles, has seriously, probably kept me from beating my head against a wall.

Hopefully, between all the good advice I have gotten here so far and the work that the Springfield Smiths put into correcting the issues with the pistol, will give me a positive range day when I return home. I just want to say thanks again to all the good people in this forum.

I have learned a lot in a very small window of time about the 1911. :)

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I guess it can endear, those who are experienced owning it and knowing their personal 1911's individual quirks and/or personality? And those same things, can frustrate and cause impatience with the unexperienced and new 1911 owners, like me. :)

That's what's called its soul. :biggrin1: :biggrin1: :biggrin1:

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Well, I haven’t had too. That three springs from two different manufacturers would suffer the same would seem to be a long shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott,
My experience comes with the 2011 double stacks but many a shooter (some pro) have said that when you get a new mag or replace springs load 'em up and let them sit. I can attest that when changing out springs for my Bob Marvel DS I have looked at new versus old and there is almost a 4" difference in height! After installing new and loading, unloading, and disassembling there is a PRONOUNCED difference in height in mere minutes. They take a set quite quickly. As for the three mags, two makers all I can say is that I doubt there is a wildly competitive market in magazine springs. I have bought (again for the double stacks) springs from STI, Atlas Gun Works, and Dawson Precision. They all look the same. Doesn't mean the rates aren't different but ya know. Looks, like a duck, quacks like a duck... 🤷‍♂️

Scott,
My experience comes with the 2011 double stacks but many a shooter (some pro) have said that when you get a new mag or replace springs load 'em up and let them sit. I can attest that when changing out springs for my Bob Marvel DS I have looked at new versus old and there is almost a 4" difference in height! After installing new and loading, unloading, and disassembling there is a PRONOUNCED difference in height in mere minutes. They take a set quite quickly. As for the three mags, two makers all I can say is that I doubt there is a wildly competitive market in magazine springs. I have bought (again for the double stacks) springs from STI, Atlas Gun Works, and Dawson Precision. They all look the same. Doesn't mean the rates aren't different but ya know. Looks, like a duck, quacks like a duck... [emoji2369]

I get it, but it would seem rare for three springs from two manufactures to do so. Unlikely, but possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Springfield has run 100%, but I won't push my luck. I have a couple of 1911's because of their US military heritage, but carrying one is a another ball game altogether.

B09EA884-ADB7-4299-A203-48F91F11F8FD.jpeg

They are just too heavy for me to carry concealed. I am an appendix guy so, the G19 fits the bill more appropriately.

Duty rig wise I have no problem with full sized side arms.

You have to have at least one these simply as a matter of principle.

OkieStubble

They are just too heavy for me to carry concealed. I am an appendix guy so, the G19 fits the bill more appropriately.

Duty rig wise I have no problem with full sized side arms.

You have to have at least one these simply as a matter of principle.

Great points all.

OkieStubble

Update: since I left the two Checkmates and the single Wilson Combat loaded for about a week last week, the magazines had not been dropping a second round thru the magazine well. All 3 mags were working as intended while doing loading and unloading while in Colorado.

Well, I have left all three magazines empty for the last few days and returned home from Denver on Monday evening. I loaded up all 3 mags again today to capacity, then racking the slide, flipping the safety on and ejecting the magazine.

The Wilson Combat is still functioning as it should, but the two Checkmate mags, are now, again, extracting two rounds at the same time again. First round from the mag is chambering as it should, second round is dropping thru the magazine well when the magazine is ejected.

Unloading and reloading the mags a couple times, sometimes when the second round succeeds in not dropping out of the mag well, the second round will still be on top of the magazine when I eject the mag, but the round is barely hanging on by the rim. The round will then "pop" off of the magazine, flipping across the room.

I am beginning to think, the springs in these Checkmate mags, are just incredibly strong. The Wilson spring, seems to be pretty much set. I have loaded and unloaded a few times with it also, and the second round is staying seated all the way back in the mag like it is supposed to.

I have been researching the 1911 forums and have read where some, go to a bit weaker springs in their Checkmate mags because of this. I have reloaded both Checkmates to capacity and will let them sit a few more days. Maybe a few times with this process, will allow their springs to take a set eventually.

If not, I have a few more Wilson's on the way.

Last edited:
Okie... have you taken the 1911 to the range? I would think you need to see how the pistol runs with all mags, say a nice range session, one hundred rounds, or more. Good luck, hope it runs perfectly.

Strange. The 2 factory 7rd mags that came with my Ruger SR1911 are both manufactured by Checkmate, and I've never had that problem with them.

OkieStubble

Okie... have you taken the 1911 to the range?

I put 150 rounds thru it when I first got it and then sent it back to Springfield for repair, which they did.

I would think you need to see how the pistol runs with all mags, say a nice range session, one hundred rounds, or more. Good luck, hope it runs perfectly.

I absolutely agree with you. However, my logic is this. The first time I went to the range after the first couple daysof purchasing it, Not only did I have these mag problems of the second round dropping, if and when I fired the pistol, one round would be in the chamber and on round would be loos inside the receiver. The pistol wouldn't fire after pulling the trigger, because the firing puin was hitting a loose round sitting sideways in the receiver.

I sent the Springfield back because of the many different type of malfunctions it was having. I knew all of them was not magazine related. since then, Springfield has reamed the chamber, recut and polished the feeding ramp, refit the slide and frame and tuned the extractor and ejector.

Before go back to the range, to even see if the pistol is reliable, I need the magazines to not strip two rounds out at the same time when loading. I do not want to have to send it back again, because I go to the range and start having malfunctions again, not knowing, if it's the pistol or mags.

I had too much trouble getting the gun back from Fedex to send it right back. I want to figure out these mags first. i got them to work fine by sitting loaded and now that they haven't been loaded for a few days, they are doinf it again. If i got them to work once, i can get them to work again.

Then i'll add possibly more frustration to the mix and see if the pistol itself is reliable since the repair. :)

Top Bottom