What's new

The Puzzling & Curious World of 1911

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Certainly on target, but admittedly, they’re a pain to reassemble after field stripping and cleaning. They’re worth the pain though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I try to push the slide stop lever back in on reassembly, the plunger won't push in so I can push the catch on the pin back into the cutout in the slide. I have to force the small plunger down with a small tip on a screwdriver while holding back the slide, and then push the catch on the slide stop pin back in, all simultaneously. Hard to do with just two hands.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
@OkieStubble , that set screw is only to limit the rearward travel of the trigger. It does not change the trigger pull weight. Leave it be for now. If you over adjust it, the trigger won't trip the sear and it won't fire, IIRC. It's been a long time since I even thought about it.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

All I can say is run some rounds thru it, Rob. You'll either like it or sell it to me (Seriously! I'll take it off your hands). Yvette had a chance to test drive one of my 2011s and she is the queen of limp wrist-ing a pistol. Put a Glock in her hands and no issues so I got her a Glock 19. No disparaging her, no "Ew, it's a Glock", just glad she has a gun she feels comfortable with. I've been shooting 1911s since Granddad put his 1911 that he "borrowed" from Uncle Sugar post Hiroshima in my hands at the tender age of 10 (Twisted old coot! :lol: ). I've always been attracted to them. Don't know why, just have. Funny story about manual of arms... Been shooting the Sig alot and I love it but... I doubt I would ever carry it? Why? Because every time I drop the slide I instinctively swipe my thumb up to engage the thumb safety. Good form I suppose but "if" I have to use it in a high stress situation and I go to click it off and its not there then what? Will my lizard brain panic and freeze me up just long enough to get myself killed? I can't say but trying to learn an RMR after 40+ years of iron sights tells me I should stick with what I know... Maybe your 1911 will be a range toy just like my Sig is while I'll carry a 1911 and you'll carry a Glock. I got your six either way!

While it's been a good while, I have shot plenty of 1911's in my time. Just none of them were mine. I have just got to get out of the LE mindset that it always needs to work, "right now, this second!" And get in a shooter's mindset of, "I have plenty of Glocks to carry, while I coax this 1911 to work!" :)

I like the way it feels more and more, but won't be able to go shoot it until next week sometime maybe, while really, being careful in rationing the valuable ammo.

When I first got it and opened up the case, I noticed it had a pretty good scratch on the left side of the slide. When it got back from Springfield, I don't know what they did, buffing? Or something, but the scratch is nowhere to be found anymore. Also, I have been doing some empty gun training drills, like pulling from the holster and bringing it up to my chest and support hand; and then clicking the safety off, as i'm punching it out forward to present on target. Then, as I'm bringing it back close to my chest while keeping it pointed forward, again, clicking the safety on and then reholstering it.

Doing this, I think I am beginning to like the fiber optic front sight. :)

Last edited:

OkieStubble

@OkieStubble , that set screw is only to limit the rearward travel of the trigger. It does not change the trigger pull weight. Leave it be for now. If you over adjust it, the trigger won't trip the sear and it won't fire, IIRC. It's been a long time since I even thought about it.

Ok, gotcha.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
While it's been a good while, I have shot plenty of 1911's in my time. Just none of them were mine. I have just have to get out of the LE mind that it always needs to work, "right now, this second!" And get in a shooter's mind of, "I have plenty of Glocks to carry, while I coax this 1911 to work!" :)

I like the way it feels more and more, but won't be able to go shoot it until next week sometime maybe, while really, being careful in rationing the valuable ammo.

When I first got it and opened up the case, I noticed it had a pretty good scratch on the left side of the slide. When it got back from Springfield, I don't know what they did, buffing? Or something, but the scratch is nowhere to be found anymore. Also, I have been doing some empty gun training drills, like pulling from the holster and bringing it up to my chest and support hand; and then clicking the safety off, as i'm punching it out forward to present on target. Then, as I'm bringing it back close to my chest while keeping it pointed forward, again, clicking the safety on and then reholstering it.

Doing this, I think I am beginning to like the fiber optic front sight. :)
I dig the Dawson style sight set up too. Red fiber optic front and a blacked out rear really puts the focus where it needs to be! Call me insane but I currently have (4) 1911s and the AXG spread out on the bed dry firing them all like a maniac! :lol: I like them all!

When I try to push the slide stop lever back in on reassembly, the plunger won't push in so I can push the catch on the pin back into the cutout in the slide. I have to force the small plunger down with a small tip on a screwdriver while holding back the slide, and then push the catch on the slide stop pin back in, all simultaneously. Hard to do with just two hands.

That happens to quite a few folks. If you don't get it right, you'll get the 'idiot scratch'. What I have done over the years, especially with a new 1911, is place a business card under the notch and plunger area. This way, if you slip, it doesn't scratch the frame. Also... and this is kind of important. I learned to come in slightly under, then up with the slide stop as it doesn't directly go straight in to the plunger. The upward movement then in... seems to work for me. Hard to describe, but that's my method, that others incorporate as well. Use the business card! 😉

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

What he said. DON'T JACK WITH IT! If you mess with it too much it won't fire. A lot of people won't have an over travel screw on their trigger because of that. That's mostly for competition people. Combat ain't a shooting game.

But...you can mess with it until it won't fire just to learn, then back it off. I like a little slack and over travel in my trigger.

But some people just call me a ho.

OkieStubble

That happens to quite a few folks. If you don't get it right, you'll get the 'idiot scratch'. What I have done over the years, especially with a new 1911, is place a business card under the notch and plunger area. This way, if you slip, it doesn't scratch the frame. Also... and this is kind of important. I learned to come in slightly under, then up with the slide stop as it doesn't directly go straight in to the plunger. The upward movement then in... seems to work for me. Hard to describe, but that's my method, that others incorporate as well. Use the business card! 😉

I'll give it a try! It seemed like I attempted to go in straight, from underneath and over the top and that plunger just didn't want to depress!

Last edited:

OkieStubble

What he said. DON'T JACK WITH IT! If you mess with it too much it won't fire. A lot of people won't have an over travel screw on their trigger because of that. That's mostly for competition people. Combat ain't a shooting game.

But...you can mess with it until it won't fire just to learn, then back it off. I like a little slack and over travel in my trigger.

But some people just call me a ho.

ROFL! :lol:

OkieStubble

Idiot Scratch Prevention Tool is the actual name...lol...They have a website.

So what is the fix for the stiff plunger? I was thinking, maybe the back side of the slide stop where it comes into contact with the plunger might needed polishing or something? Because it is impossible to push up on the slide stop and depress that plunger.

So what is the fix for the stiff plunger? I was thinking, maybe the back side of the slide stop where it comes into contact with the plunger might needed polishing or something? Because it is impossible to push up on the slide stop and depress that plunger.
Use the edge of a credit card to push the plunger if its giving you trouble

Top Bottom