What's new

Strong Leopard Shavette With Antelope Blades

Well, don't these blades look sweet? I love that light-magenta (not pink) box.

pinkBlades.JPG

And Antelope blades in a different box:

AntelopeBlades2.JPG

Had a real nice shave today with the Cloud shavette and red-box Cloud blade. It's the fourth or fifth shave from that blade - nice and smooth.

Black one looks like mine. I have two types and the black is the smaller one. I also have a yellow one that is bigger than that.

Black ones should be at 1.20-1.50 usd range already. I just found a few below 1 usd on eBay auctions. I won an auction for my second black shavette at 0.96 USD.

And how much does a box of 100 blades cost for you?

There are no Antelope blades sold in Turkey, so I buy them from Aliexpress as all we do. But, their prices went up for 5 days ago and went down to their regular prices during this sale :)
Still, some prices seem to be really lower. For ex., that 15 USD shavette with a different clamp is now 12 USD. (I use Aliexpress Mobile App for better prices)

For DE blades, 100 Derby Extra DE blades cost 4 USD, 100 Shark Blades cost 3.5 USD in Turkey, BTW. Arko soap is just 0.5 USD :)

Last edited:
Finally, my Strong Leopard 77-A shavette arrived from China - ordered first week of November. Still a steal at twice the price.

I love my cheap flimsy Antelope shavette with the plastic blade holder, so I was looking forward to using this one. I didn't remember which side of the blade was in use so I tried both and frankly, the new side and the used side feel pretty close to each other. Antelope-77 blade, which has 20 shaves in it, has a lot of life left

I'm not gonna lie about the results though - my face hurts all over. This shavette is way more aggressive then the plastic holdered cheapo. There's more blade showing, and the holder edge is much thinner, so no "guide" to help you along.

It feels so much more substantial than the flimsy one. Looking forward to using it again.
proxy.php

Finally, my Strong Leopard 77-A shavette arrived from China - ordered first week of November. Still a steal at twice the price.

I love my cheap flimsy Antelope shavette with the plastic blade holder, so I was looking forward to using this one. I didn't remember which side of the blade was in use so I tried both and frankly, the new side and the used side feel pretty close to each other. Antelope-77 blade, which has 20 shaves in it, has a lot of life left

I'm not gonna lie about the results though - my face hurts all over. This shavette is way more aggressive then the plastic holdered cheapo. There's more blade showing, and the holder edge is much thinner, so no "guide" to help you along.

It feels so much more substantial than the flimsy one. Looking forward to using it again.
proxy.php
Nice one Rudy!
And yes this is a serious bit of kit isn’t it?!

Nice one Rudy!
And yes this is a serious bit of kit isn’t it?!
Yes Sir! This one didn't have the QC issues of my 74-A; rough edges that I needed to file smooth.

I'm not gonna lie - I like it when a razor is not intuitive and makes me work to learn how to use it properly. The plastic holder Antelope was perfect from shave 1 - too easy ;-)

Mine also arrived recently, but it took less than a month. :001_rolle I ordered from Aliexpress and and upgraded the shipping from free to $0.30 :laugh:

I've only used one other shavette, and that was a terrible DE version. I like this much more; in particular I like that the tang is wide enough to actually grip like you are supposed to. Also, this definitely feels closer to how shaving with a normal straight razor does, which is nice if you are considering the plunge. I've only used it twice and so far I'm not yet sold on it. I might need to try some other blades for it, but so far I don't see it getting much use.

However, my only real complaint (at this price point) is that cut stubble easily rides up into the holder, making a thorough cleaning after each shave necessary. Which is more of a personal problem with the type of razor than a serious flaw in this specific design. It is, however, rather concerning to buy 2 of these razors and have the holder's grind for each be completely different. I'm not sure if they shave differently but they almost look like 2 different models. (they're not!)

Mine also arrived recently, but it took less than a month. :001_rolle I ordered from Aliexpress and and upgraded the shipping from free to $0.30 [emoji23]

I've only used one other shavette, and that was a terrible DE version. I like this much more; in particular I like that the tang is wide enough to actually grip like you are supposed to. Also, this definitely feels closer to how shaving with a normal straight razor does, which is nice if you are considering the plunge. I've only used it twice and so far I'm not yet sold on it. I might need to try some other blades for it, but so far I don't see it getting much use.

However, my only real complaint (at this price point) is that cut stubble easily rides up into the holder, making a thorough cleaning after each shave necessary. Which is more of a personal problem with the type of razor than a serious flaw in this specific design. It is, however, rather concerning to buy 2 of these razors and have the holder's grind for each be completely different. I'm not sure if they shave differently but they almost look like 2 different models. (they're not!)
My first shavette came from AliExpress. I also paid extra for the faster ePacket shipping. Guess what? It took a month before that shipped it, then took the advertised 3 weeks. This particular razor was from eBay and didn't offer ePacket option.

I'm already a straight razor shaver, but use my shavettes a lot more because I'm too lazy to strop my straights every time. While I really like both my Antelope bladed shavettes, to me they don't really shave like a straight. The Weck Sextoblade, however, is pretty close, and is my favorite shavette. It uses long blades like the Antelope, but the blades are very thick and don't flex at all. They're like long box cutter blades, even thicker than injector or Feather Artist Club blades.

I don't have any problem with stubble riding into the holder. It's really tight. Maybe one of your clamshell halves is bent a bit, or the retaining clip at the end is bent too wide, which happened on my 74-A.

Does anyone has a link of Strong Leopard 77-A shavette with some blades included in aliexpress?

The one I found had no blades included and a bit pricey.

1 X Replaceable Blades WHITE Hair Shaper/Stainless Straight Razor, Folding Shaving Razor 77#-in Hair Removal Cream from Beauty & Health on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

I only found this with blades but it is a different color:

1 set Men Straight Barber edge 77 Razors Folding Shaving Knife Hair Removal Tools With 10pcs Blades -in Hair Removal Cream from Beauty & Health on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

What do you think of the last one?

Does anyone has a link of Strong Leopard 77-A shavette with some blades included in aliexpress?

1 X Replaceable Blades WHITE Hair Shaper/Stainless Straight Razor, Folding Shaving Razor 77#-in Hair Removal Cream from Beauty & Health on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

1 set Men Straight Barber edge 77 Razors Folding Shaving Knife Hair Removal Tools With 10pcs Blades -in Hair Removal Cream from Beauty & Health on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

I have both of them. The first one is different than Strong Leopards those have a tab to keep two lips together. Its lips slide on each other, an idea that I thought would be better. However the imperfections in casting, weak joints, ugly finishing makes this razor a bad example in execution. It doesn't hold blade securely, doesn't close fully, wobbles when opened, spring dislodges in some copies, etc. Strong Leopards are better built compared to this more expensive razor.

The second one is a Dovo Shavette copy. It is light as its big head is full of tin and plastic. It is well balanced for its light weight, holds the blade tight enough for a rapid shave. There are some smaller lookalikes but they don't hold the blade tight enough.

Between these two I'd recommend the cheaper, yellow Antelope one.

I have almost all of them :)

I like this yellow Antelope shavette most.

Strong Leopards have a more substantial feel but they also are a bit unbalanced. The full metal ones are slightly too raw. Unpleasant to hold, some have blade holding issues.

For DE format, I prefer the ones with a head like a Parker SR1. Slide models seem to bend the blade and cause trouble. Full DE shavettes are quite unnatural with their big fat heads.

I like this yellow Antelope shavette most.

Strong Leopards have a more substantial feel but they also are a bit unbalanced. The full metal ones are slightly too raw. Unpleasant to hold, some have blade holding issues.
I concur with pretty much everything you said. The lightweight Antelope is my favorite shavette that uses the 77 blades. I also find the Strong Leopard version rawer and bitier, but it's still a keeper.

Second go with the long bladed Strong Leopard 77-A shavette today and it was much better than last time. No irritation at all. What did I do differently? I did not shave with reckless abandon like I usually do; I paid attention to angles, I religiously stretched the skin (which I never do WTG), and I concentrated on minimal pressure. This is not an auto-pilot razor like the cheapo Antelope shavette or the Weck with a guard installed.

I ordered the Huerbo in your first link from the same dealer, but received an actual Strong Leopard 77-A - scroll up to my post #66 when I posted a pic of the razor I received.

I also ordered your second link and got a white no-name version with a greenish blade holder. It's so cheaply made that I consider it disposable, yet I find it the best of the 77 shavettes. Perfect balance and smooth, not bitey at all. I ordered two more as spares - I wonder what color I'll get.

@rudyt

You seem to have found the sweet spot.
Stupid question. Has anyone seen a shavette with a guard that gives a bit of protection in Aliexpress.com? Sort of Weck clone?

Top Bottom