What's new

Fatip Piccolo (Mk 2): Review, Photos, Measurements, Photo Analysis

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Welcome back Grant @ShavingByTheNumbers. You've been missed buddy!

I guess I would ask was the version 2 a better more forgiving product?

My Mk.2 Grande below. First with the blade as far out of alignment as I can make it.

IMG_2059.JPG

Five seconds later.

IMG_2060.JPG

I load mine the same as below. 8 out of 10 times its perfectly aligned as long as I dont disturb the blade.

But the way I load the blade:

• Top cap upside down on the palm of my hand
  • drop blade in
  • place base plate on top without touch the blade with my hand in any way
  • screw in handle

I seldom need to do any adjustments.

So the version 2 is not as aggressive as a merkur r41 right?

Like @Atlantic59 said above, the R41 is a completely different design and has more in common with an EJ/Merkur/Clone base than a Fatip.

Virtually the entire Fatip baseplate supports the blade. The clamping points are very wide as you can see below by looking through the head at the white background behind it.

IMG_2203.jpg

Few, if any razors, support the blade as well.

The R41 on the other hand has the same support system as the razors I mentioned, shown in red.

EJ DE89
de89 support points.jpg

R41.
R41 support points.jpg

The main difference between those two razors is the amount of blade exposure.

My R41 and my Mk.2 Fatip have virtually the same blade exposure.

R41-FATIP2.jpg

Because the R41 baseplate doesnt offer the same amount of support to the blade the Fatip base does, it's much easier for the blade to flex, even minutely, which makes it a more challenging shave. To the point that I cannot shave directly ATG with it even on my second pass and have to alter the direction of my second pass to directly XTG over all areas. Only on my third pass can I shave directly ATG and its still a very cautious shave.

Derby Extra is one of my top 5 blades. In my Grande I can easily shave directly ATG on my second pass and its a great shave. In my R41, a Derby Extra skipped on my first WTG pass on my cheeks.

The only blade I can use in my R41 is Feather, and then only for a single shave. The sharpness level of a fresh Feather blade minimizes blade flex but I still cant shave ATG on my second pass.

Using my Grande and a Polsilver or Gillette Yellow I can and often do shave directly ATG first pass buffing with a shallow angle at up to 78 hours growth without any issues at all. That is impossible for me with the R41.

The difference is the design of the bases and the inherent rigidity of them offered to the blade.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
As to Feather blades, maybe I should revisit them again with a WMS. I sometimes do what you call a WMS now and then instead of my standard two-pass shave. I just keep using a Kai blade because of its longevity and performance. Changing the blade with my Piccolo is no fun because of its alignment issue.

Have you tried the Proline blades?

I'm not saying they're the best because I didn't compare all the blades, but I like the Prolines.

Of course, I'm almost entirely using just the straight razors, but that doesn't mean I don't occasionally enjoy a safety razor shave.

The alignment of blades in the Fatips takes me half a second and was an issue only when I first began with them. The blade doesn't have to look perfectly aligned. Like everyone else I'd prefer that the razor align the blade every time automatically, but all the other two pin razors I've used (like Old Types) have the same "alignment issue," which really seems to me to be a non issue once I got used to dealing with it. Seriously, it's a very easy matter to overcome after a while (or it was for me anyway).

I have the range of Fatip razors including the Piccolo, the Grande (2), the Gentile, a Plisson, and the Schöne. Of these, my favorite is the Mk1 Grande. I use them all at either a steep angle or at the design angle (neutral angle). I don't like the Piccolo (to me the handle is too thin).

I also have the R41 (2013 or later) which I like just fine and can use, but it's not a very easy to use razor like the Fatips. I'm sure it has to do with issues discussed already in this thread and elsewhere.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Welcome back Grant @ShavingByTheNumbers. You've been missed buddy!

Thanks, Mike. I still pop my head in now and then, but I won't let myself get new shaving things---except for soap if I run out---until I get to analyzing those AC razors that Jim @Chan Eil Whiskers lent to me.

Have you tried the Proline blades?

I'm not saying they're the best because I didn't compare all the blades, but I like the Prolines.

Of course, I'm almost entirely using just the straight razors, but that doesn't mean I don't occasionally enjoy a safety razor shave.

The alignment of blades in the Fatips takes me half a second and was an issue only when I first began with them. The blade doesn't have to look perfectly aligned. Like everyone else I'd prefer that the razor align the blade every time automatically, but all the other two pin razors I've used (like Old Types) have the same "alignment issue," which really seems to me to be a non issue once I got used to dealing with it. Seriously, it's a very easy matter to overcome after a while (or it was for me anyway).

I have the range of Fatip razors including the Piccolo, the Grande (2), the Gentile, a Plisson, and the Schöne. Of these, my favorite is the Mk1 Grande. I use them all at either a steep angle or at the design angle (neutral angle). I don't like the Piccolo (to me the handle is too thin).

I also have the R41 (2013 or later) which I like just fine and can use, but it's not a very easy to use razor like the Fatips. I'm sure it has to do with issues discussed already in this thread and elsewhere.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Hey, Jim! No, I haven't tried the Proline or any other AC blades yet. I have to measure them and then get to measuring your AC razors before trying them. (I REALLY want to try them, but I won't let myself do it until making measurements.) Work really got in the way, which has calmed down recently, but now I'm in the process of buying a condo. Closing is on the 30th and there is moving and settling in after that. (I won't lose your razors. I promise.)

I misspoke when I said "alignment issue". You and others are right that it doesn't take long to visually align the blade with the Piccolo. It might take a try or two, but it isn't hard. What I do when loading a blade in the Piccolo is going for ALIGNMENT + SYMMETRIC BLADE EXPOSURE. I use my little piece of acrylic to gently check the blade exposure on both sides. If I'm not satisfied, then I loosen the handle and shift the cap and/or blade accordingly. I repeat the process until the blade exposure is fairly even and symmetric on both sides to my satisfaction. Sometimes the process can be quick, and other times, the process can be frustratingly longer than expected.

I bought an MK1 (version 1) in June 2015. I've never had a blade alignment issue with it. I like it so much, I bought a second MK1 last month (as I know they'll become increasingly difficult to find). My second one looks and shaves just like the first one. I've never had to adjust the blade in either razor. Just lucky, I guess.

I've got no interest in the MK2. I've got both the modern R41 and the old version ("2011"), and I like the old, more "aggressive" version better. I suspect I'd reach the same conclusion with regard to the Fatip.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I bought an MK1 (version 1) in June 2015. I've never had a blade alignment issue with it. I like it so much, I bought a second MK1 last month (as I know they'll become increasingly difficult to find). My second one looks and shaves just like the first one. I've never had to adjust the blade in either razor. Just lucky, I guess.

I've got no interest in the MK2. I've got both the modern R41 and the old version ("2011"), and I like the old, more "aggressive" version better. I suspect I'd reach the same conclusion with regard to the Fatip.

Where'd you find an Mk1 last month? I only have one, but I like it a lot.

I don't have the 2011 R41 but not for a lack of interest in it. The 2013 is pretty cool though.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Where'd you find an Mk1 last month? I only have one, but I like it a lot.

I don't have the 2011 R41 but not for a lack of interest in it. The 2013 is pretty cool though.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Some nice fella had a NOS MK1 on a BST. It seems to actually be NOS, including the new-looking old style blue box and other packaging. I just lucked out.

I'm still using my modified Piccolo, but I really want to move on from it. I haven't tried the RazoRock SLOC.

Thanks for your thoughtful comments. I will eventually move on to a better razor. I've got great AC razors loaned to me by @Chan Eil Whiskers to evaluate. (I haven't forgotten, Jim.) As to Feather blades, maybe I should revisit them again with a WMS. I sometimes do what you call a WMS now and then instead of my standard two-pass shave. I just keep using a Kai blade because of its longevity and performance. Changing the blade with my Piccolo is no fun because of its alignment issue.
I just came across the original post and found it very interesting all the modifications to the original razor. My only question is: did you modify/repair the soldering gaps or bumps at the base of the top cap (as those tend to generate alignment issues?)

I just came across the original post and found it very interesting all the modifications to the original razor. My only question is: did you modify/repair the soldering gaps or bumps at the base of the top cap (as those tend to generate alignment issues?)

The gaps don't matter if you load the blade with the cap upside-down. The blade will be clamped down before it even gets near those tiny gaps. I am amazed the "alignment issues" keep being analyzed to death & brought up over and over and over... Some Merkurs and vintage Gillettes have similar "issues" but people deal with it and don't brand the razors as some sort of horrible blot on the razor world.

This is the post by @Rontu. Other people have been saying the same thing for years.

The Fatip OC is a good solid-brass razor for the money. Each of mine shaves very well. I'm sure there is a small percentage of defects out there like any manufactured product, but that is why we have warranties.

Last edited:
Top Bottom