1. NPV - Done
2. paintflinger - Done
3. Luecke2326
4. Clay S
5. mrlandpirate
6. joamo
7. RumpleBearskin
8. Suhrim21
9. Tony Miller or PIF (Or Tony and then PIF)?

I'm really excited to see what a good strop should feel like. I only have the couple strops and really have no idea if they feel right or even if they perform like they should. These passarounds you guys do are great for newbies like myself. It will definitely speed the learning curve for strops by probably hundreds of dollars. As is I know I wasted about 100 buying a couple strops I thought were at least decent. I am hoping I didnt waste the 60 on the latigo strop I bought. If so then all strops except hopefully the red imp 700c my girl bought are crap.

@Suhrim21 I doubt what you have purchased is bad as you must realize that all strops pretty much do the same thing and that is polish an edge and keep it going, I’m not going to say that there are not strops out there that are bad but realize that what I like or dislike you may have opposite feelings about and it all comes down to what you want to pay for and what you like in regard to the type of leather, width, draw, and lastly what type of personal touches the maker puts into a strop as in custom handles, edge trimming etc..

Correct. Like the strop I got from art of shaving. It says it's eel leather. I have to do about 3x the laps on that as I do on my red imp strop and at that the red imp has a smother cut. The Macs leather strop is a hard hard thick leather. I'm not sure what it is but the closest I can explain is like leather on a saddle. At first it felt like using ice. I used fromm dressing and had to do about 10 coats before it didnt immediately soak it up and be instantly dry. Now it has some resistance to it but still doesnt refine the edge anywhere near as fast as even the latigo strop. Also I do know that different leather feels different performs different, but after everyone talking about how good these strops are this will give me a great first hand feel on quality leather. I am wanting all kinds of strops and leathers because just as different leather performs I'm sure different steel performs better on different leather. I want to get a briddle, cordovan, steer, and kangaroo strops as well.

Good morning gentlemen, I received the strop on Saturday and had a chance to try it out this morning. Sunday evening after unboxing the strop, i laid it flat on the kitchen table and rubbed it for about 20 minutes while I was reading the paper. It was smooth and quite supple. It seems pretty well broken in already?? It has a very fine shine to it, much like my vintage shells, but it definitely has some draw to it. I’d classify it as light to medium in the draw arena, I did get a little bit of the “suction” others mentioned, but not too much. I shaved with my Puma 222 ultra hollow ground this morning and found the stropping to be very enjoyable both pre-shave and post shave. I did get a little bit of the grainy feel others had mentioned, but it was not much different than what I’m used to. Stropped 50 pre, 25 post on TM linen and 70 on leather. I’ll report back again after I’ve used it a few more times.
I have to say, I really like the feel already, way more than my TM Vanilla. The build is typical TM, fine and classy. My wife remarked on how nice it looked, and that’s saying something.

Thanks the opportunity to give this one a try!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I noticed edges with a higher polish (i.e. synthetic finished edges) create more suction than JNAT or Coti edges.

Sure would have been nice to be in CONUS to check this strop out..Edit. Unfortunately living in Europe makes it impossible to take advantage of this testing. Getting a quality strops on this side of the pond is next to impossible (shipping and import charges are a bear)...

Current status:
  1. NPV - Done
  2. paintflinger - Done
  3. Luecke2326 - Done
  4. Clay S
  5. mrlandpirate
  6. joamo
  7. RumpleBearskin
  8. Suhrim21
  9. Tony Miller or PIF (Or Tony and then PIF)?

Sure would have been nice to be in CONUS to check this strop out..Edit. Unfortunately living in Europe makes it impossible to take advantage of this testing. Getting a quality strops on this side of the pond is next to impossible (shipping and import charges are a bear)...
Scruppleworks?

Scruppleworks?

Yes Scrupleworks, Torolf who is owner-operator makes a very nice strop, I have one his older ones without the modern hardware and it’s very well made, I have a oil tanned HH and it what I would call a medium to heavy draw as it somewhat gritty and magnetic and I have used it for a few years now.

His vegetable tanned he has not had in quite sometime but if you like a firm draw this will fit the bill

Stropped on it twice(and a little the night I got it) so far. After rubbing strop with palm it has an extremely light draw, then as it warms up it moves to a light draw. Note I only have experience with one strop, so light means lighter than I am used to. Poor man's strop is my reference point.

The D-ring handle is nice to use. You can hook a thumb over it, clip, or tie material over it to use. Very versatile.

I actually own one of these strops and have been using it for some time now. Opinion??
Faster than ice over teflon. Indeed the lightest draw of ANY strop I have used.
It performs best on my very hollow blades.
For the quarter to half grinds, I stick to Tony’s “Roughout” strop.
In the middle of the two is Tony’s Spanish bridle leather. Excellent strop for any application.
I always wanted to try a Horween strop. Now...not so much.
Kind of pointless.

Top Bottom