What's new

Steer-Dovan Passaround

Got it all packed up going to be shipped out to @paintflinger hopefully tomorrow.

Hope you enjoyed the testing, here’s a suggestion for those involved in the testing, maybe the last one can toss all users names in a hat a make drawing and ship back to that person so they can have it, just a thought...

So, I've gotten to use the strop about three times so far. Overall impressions are pretty good.

By far the most interesting thing so far is the suction feeling I get on and off when stropping. Feels quite similar to the stiction when honing. Draw is medium to heavy. Hopefully I can get two more shaves in before handing it off, but I'd be very happy stropping on this daily.

As far as the leather defects, they really seem to be visual only.

@paintflinger i think you’ll find if you don’t warm the leather before and use a lighter touch the draw is much lighter and thanks for your input, it’s great to hear what others think

@paintflinger i think you’ll find if you don’t warm the leather before and use a lighter touch the draw is much lighter and thanks for your input, it’s great to hear what others think

It's definitely a medium draw for me. I'll try warming it up (I usually don't bother), but it's interesting that the draw would get lighter as it is usually the opposite. I personally like the weight of the draw. It's zippy, but you feel in control. My TM Vanilla stop has nicks all over it from having very light draw with a newbie stropper.

Feel wise, it's in between my Scruppleworks Oil tanned (magnetic draw) and the TM Spanish Bridle you sold me (buttery draw).

have any of you used strops similar to the bog double strop with latigo. I'm curious how the steer donovan compairs to the strop I have. I know latigo is great material but just as with everything someone can take a great material and turn it to crap. I'm hoping the strop I have is at least a decent strop.

have any of you used strops similar to the bog double strop with latigo. I'm curious how the steer donovan compairs to the strop I have. I know latigo is great material but just as with everything someone can take a great material and turn it to crap. I'm hoping the strop I have is at least a decent strop.

Not sure what "bog double strop with latigo" refers to. If it's a general reference to latigo, I have no experience.

I’ve used Razor Emporiums latigo and the Steer-Dovan has a much lighter and faster draw.

Is latigo normally very slick. This one I have feels very slick like the Macs strop I first bought. Maybe just a tad more drag. This why I wanted to get on this passaround. I dont know what a good strop should feel like. This will allow me to see what a strop should feel like.

Is latigo normally very slick. This one I have feels very slick like the Macs strop I first bought. Maybe just a tad more drag. This why I wanted to get on this passaround. I dont know what a good strop should feel like. This will allow me to see what a strop should feel like.

A good strop can have a muddy heavy draw or be glassy smooth it just depends on what the user wants, an example would be for me is my Westholme Cordovan is very glassy and fast and has little to no draw regardless of the razor used but my Scrupleworks oil tanned HH has a magnetic draw and feels dry stropping on it and with less than full hollow blade feels gritty, both of these strops do an excellent job and are both very well made.

I do believe my Tony Miller Grandpa strop is made from a vegetable tanned HH and not oil tanned like my Scrupleworks and it’s almost as fast and smooth as my Westholme and then you have what some consider the best strop ever and that’s a Kanayama but to be honest I have older 50k one and it’s very nice but cannot say it does any better of a job maintaining an edge than the others I have.

I think I'm going to have to have someone knowledgeable test my stop and tell me if it's good or not or needs anything.

I think I'm going to have to have someone knowledgeable test my stop and tell me if it's good or not or needs anything.

Strops regardless of what some say do need some care, I would never suggest anyone add any oils or conditioners to any strop unless you are sure on what you are adding but one thing leather does need and that’s hydration so once every few months I take a cotton cloth that is lightly dampened with some warm water and lightly wipe my strops down in a light straight motion ( no scrubbing ) this does a few things like removing some contaminants that stropping leaves and hydrates the leather as no leather can go forever without moisture

You can add some treatment to leather but be mindful that what ever you add can and usually does change the draw, I have found that Venetian neutral cream can be very lightly applied to most strops without to much negative as I have used this on lots of strops but if you use it or any other product and over do it that cannot be removed.

You know its so weird. 3 days ago I used the strop and it was slick as ice. Today I used it and it had a nice draw to it. The weird thing is I fidnt do anything to it between the uses. It is now really nice and feels like it is actually foing what it is supposed to do. I dont know why or how this happened but I do like it. Before it was so slick it didn't feel like it did anything.

You know its so weird. 3 days ago I used the strop and it was slick as ice. Today I used it and it had a nice draw to it. The weird thing is I fidnt do anything to it between the uses. It is now really nice and feels like it is actually foing what it is supposed to do. I dont know why or how this happened but I do like it. Before it was so slick it didn't feel like it did anything.

The top waxes and oils that are applied during processing of the leather and the tannery may have been worn away some due to lots of stropping but maybe @Tony Miller can chime in and comment

Top Bottom