What's new

Steer-Dovan Passaround

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
got a few more laps in , this strop is nice but I think I went something with a bit more draw
looks like I need to chat with TM soon
I'll try to send it out soon just really busy right now

Sorry for the mix up Gents, and Tony sorry for the health issue that prevents using a straight daily and I pass on my well wishes and prayers outbound to you for a 100% recovery

1. NPV - Done
  2. paintflinger - Done
  3. Luecke2326 - Done
  4. Clay S - Done
  5. mrlandpirate - Done
  6. joamo
  7. RumpleBearskin
  8. Suhrim21
  9. Dzaw
  10. Joshua223
  11. Tony Miller or PIF (Or Tony and then PIF)?
Coming at you @joamo ...

I had an opportunity to try the strop and it was quite nice to use, with what I would call a medium light draw. Definitely not glassy slick as compared to some of my vintage shell strops.

The hardware is very heavy duty and the leather is what you should expect from a professional: slickered, finished edges with beading and a clearly defined maker’s stamp. It appears to be a well waxed and stuffed leather and should remain in optimal condition for a long time with minimal maintenance. Intended to be an Heirloom (see what Tony did there?)

I don’t have any experiences with other type leathers that Mr. Miller offers but feel the Steer-Dovan should definitely have a place in his stable.

I’ll probably use it again for my weekend shave then send it along to RumpleBearskin.
Thanks for the opportunity

Joe

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1. NPV - Done
  2. paintflinger - Done
  3. Luecke2326 - Done
  4. Clay S - Done
  5. mrlandpirate - Done
  6. joamo - Done
  7. RumpleBearskin
  8. Suhrim21
  9. Dzaw
  10. Joshua223
  11. Tony Miller or PIF (Or Tony and then PIF)?
According to the USPS, I should receive it Wednesday. Can't wait...

It's here! It's here!

So yes, I opened it. Beautiful! Great attention to detail. Even all the screw slots are lined up along the long axis of the strop! The construction seems very sturdy. It has a thumb snap at the head, but no ring to hang on a hook. The snap diameter is big enough to suffice, but I do prefer a separate ring.

I tried a couple of laps and it seems glassy smooth compared to my WCS Cordovan. A very "light draw" compared to what I'm used to.

(One reassuring observation ... If nick it, I won't be the first.)

So tomorrow I'll start using it and let you know how it goes ...

It's here! It's here!

So yes, I opened it. Beautiful! Great attention to detail. Even all the screw slots are lined up along the long axis of the strop! The construction seems very sturdy. It has a thumb snap at the head, but no ring to hang on a hook. The snap diameter is big enough to suffice, but I do prefer a separate ring.

I tried a couple of laps and it seems glassy smooth compared to my WCS Cordovan. A very "light draw" compared to what I'm used to.

(One reassuring observation ... If nick it, I won't be the first.)

So tomorrow I'll start using it and let you know how it goes ...
If I recall correctly the strop did have a ring when it was sent to me as do all of Tony’s strops. Too bad it gained a nick somewhere along the way but I’m guessing it’s something that can be corrected with some sanding and possibly a wax based shoe polish. Maybe Tony can chime in here.

@NPV you are correct the strop did have a ring on it when sent out but no worries as I have several extras here and whoever ends up with the strop I will gladly mail them a ring at no charge

Found the ring! It was hidden in the packing materials. So, all good.

Also a correction to my previous post. My WCS strop, the only point of comparison I have, is Latigo, not Cordovan.

Last edited:
Top Bottom