What's new

Steer-Dovan Passaround

Please:
"Put Me On The List"

Thanks!

I've only tried my "Illinois" strop (made by Fromm if I'm not mistaken). It was purchased based on the criteria of a: it got at least one recommendation by someone who shaves with straights on B&B and b: it was the cheapest strop I could find that met point a.

Now that I'm north of 100 shaves with straights, and know I'm going to stick with it, I am keeping my eyes open for better gear all around.

Thanks!

I’m glad lots are getting to try one of Tony’s great strops, they are a bargain for what you are getting which is a top quality strop that’s made with great attention to detail

Sent the strop off to @mrlandpirate yesterday. The strop seemed very well made with a nice clip to attach to things and a sturdy D-ring. Carriage bolts and tee/cap nuts attach the leather end pieces to the strop. Enjoyed the chance to try the strop out and enjoyed it very much! Width was perfect width for my blade widths.

Current status:
  1. NPV - Done
  2. paintflinger - Done
  3. Luecke2326 - Done
  4. Clay S - Done
  5. mrlandpirate
  6. joamo
  7. RumpleBearskin
  8. Suhrim21
  9. Tony Miller or PIF (Or Tony and then PIF)?
Can you tell I'm excited for my turn ...
:a14::a14::a14::clap::clap::clap::a14::a14::a14:

Let the testing continue ......I really like these pass arounds, it allows lots of people to try a product and then they can purchase if they want to as they know what they are getting

Nope feel free to add your name to the list.
Current status:
1.NPV - Done
2.paintflinger - Done
3.Luecke2326 - Done
4.Clay S - Done
5.mrlandpirate
6.joamo
7.RumpleBearskin
8.Suhrim21
9.Dzaw
10.Tony Miller or PIF (Or Tony and then PIF)?

Like that?

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
I like this strop it has a nice draw a little faster then my old TM strop
it has a slightly more grainy surface that produces more feedback

I'm interested in signing up, but I just bought an artisan steerhide. Would that be pretty similar? This is my first professionally made strop so I only have my bridle strop to compare to.

I'm interested in signing up, but I just bought an artisan steerhide. Would that be pretty similar? This is my first professionally made strop so I only have my bridle strop to compare to.
Draw speed is similar but the actual feel is much different in my experience. My no.2 is much stiffer than the Steer-Dovan with more of a creamy feel. The Steer-Dovan was glassier with a bit of grainy feel to it. I would be happy with either though. And edge wise I’ve found all strops to produce the same edge.

Draw speed is similar but the actual feel is much different in my experience. My no.2 is much stiffer than the Steer-Dovan with more of a creamy feel. The Steer-Dovan was glassier with a bit of grainy feel to it. I would be happy with either though. And edge wise I’ve found all strops to produce the same edge.
Thanks for the description! Definitely would like to try that out! Count me in please.
Creamy does seem like an good descriptor for the steerhide. I'm looking forward to seeing how this strop changes as it breaks in.
On a side note, the guy that bought the strop new talked about what a nice guy @Tony Miller was and how he answered all his questions. He just never really got into straight shaving.

1.NPV - Done
2.paintflinger - Done
3.Luecke2326 - Done
4.Clay S - Done
5.mrlandpirate
6.joamo
7.RumpleBearskin
8.Suhrim21
9.Dzaw
10. Joshua223
11.Tony Miller or PIF (Or Tony and then PIF)?

Thanks for the description! Definitely would like to try that out! Count me in please.
Creamy does seem like an good descriptor for the steerhide. I'm looking forward to seeing how this strop changes as it breaks in.
On a side note, the guy that bought the strop new talked about what a nice guy @Tony Miller was and how he answered all his questions. He just never really got into straight shaving.

Tony and I never really talked about whether he had used or didn’t use straights, I just assumed he used one as the strops I have received from him over the years seem to work very well on all my razors plus the razors I received in that needed to be honed and I have honed and stropped lots but the I can thank @Doc226 for all my honing and his words of wisdom over the years have been “ Hone, Shave, Repeat” and I have lived by this motto since day one

Tony and I never really talked about whether he had used or didn’t use straights, I just assumed he used one as the strops I have received from him over the years seem to work very well on all my razors plus the razors I received in that needed to be honed and I have honed and stropped lots but the I can thank @Doc226 for all my honing and his words of wisdom over the years have been “ Hone, Shave, Repeat” and I have lived by this motto since day one
Don't think he was referring to Tony.

Top Bottom