What's new

Speakeasy RIP

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
20201218_195849.jpg

This was good.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member

Have you tried any other Ledaig expressions? If so, how are they? I've been thinking about trying one of their whiskies for the past few weeks. I just don't see a whole lot of thier bottles in my local stores. Do you think I'd be missing out if I just stuck to my Ardbegs, Lagavulins, Laphroaigs, and Taliskers, instead of trying a Ledaig?

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Have you tried any other Ledaig expressions? If so, how are they? I've been thinking about trying one of their whiskies for the past few weeks. I just don't see a whole lot of thier bottles in my local stores. Do you think I'd be missing out if I just stuck to my Ardbegs, Lagavulins, Laphroaigs, and Taliskers, instead of trying a Ledaig?

I haven't tried any others, but I'm now eager to, especially the 10 and 18. I'm far less interested in special finishes. As much as I did enjoy this bottle, I think some of the notes and sweetness that were my least favorite aspects came from the marsala barrel. It felt like the whisky and marsala were fighting each other at times and that the marsala covered up as much as it added. I'd like to see what the whisky is like without that.

I don't know that you're missing much beyond breadth of experience if you can't get Ledaig. That said, if you enjoy a moderate peat note, then I expect you would enjoy Ledaig.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I haven't tried any others, but I'm now eager to, especially the 10 and 18. I'm far less interested in special finishes. As much as I did enjoy this bottle, I think some of the notes and sweetness that were my least favorite aspects came from the marsala barrel. It felt like the whisky and marsala were fighting each other at times and that the marsala covered up as much as it added. I'd like to see what the whisky is like without that.

I don't know that you're missing much beyond breadth of experience if you can't get Ledaig. That said, if you enjoy a moderate peat note, then I expect you would enjoy Ledaig.

I can see how a marsala barrel might not be the best thing to finish the whisky in. Certain whiskies I don't mind being finished, and others, I find the finishes to mask the essence of a blend.

I don't know how accurate the information is, but I'm pretty sure only Ledaig 10 is available for purchase here in Michigan. If I end up running across a bottle, I just might have to pick it up.

Thanks, Doak!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Nice. I haven't tried any of the expressions, but I've heard good things. I was debating about picking up a bottle of either Yellow or Green Spot on Christmas Eve, but ended up going with something else. Come closer to St. Patrick's Day, I might need to pick up a bottle.

You can't go wrong with any "Spot." Redbreast is another great Irish whiskey. Their 12 is excellent, and the 15 is a knockout.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
You can't go wrong with any "Spot." Redbreast is another great Irish whiskey. Their 12 is excellent, and the 15 is a knockout.

Good to hear. I've never tried Redbreast either, but have a bottle of Redbreast 12 Cask Strength that I was planning on saving until near St. Patrick's Day. I also contemplated Redbreast Lustau as well, but I want to make sure I like Irish whiskey (more than only Jameson or Bushmills for the price) before I stock up on too much stuff.

Top Bottom