FOCS light handle
Permasharp Super (?)
Zenith chubby scrubby
Proraso green cream Palmolive stick
Proraso pre and post as aftershave

A quick cold water one pass in the sink
FOCS more than capable

As always 8/10. 🦊

Palmolive/Proraso green cream mix is an excellent combination.

I didnt post this because it was on 8/27/21 but I see others are early too :)
-Fatip FOCS gold
-Eddison blade
-PAA Amber Aerolite
-Capt choice copper

-PAA banana cube
-Barrister and man Hallows
- Stirling pumpkin spice splash
proxy.php

Fayiz D.

The iKon B1 Slant arrived, just in time for Slantember. Unfortunately, I’m having issues aligning the blade with the cap, with one end having more blade exposure that the other, giving the (appropriate?) appearance of a guillotine. I’ve tried various techniques to align with the cap, but unlike the X3 (which I no longer own), the B1 is stubborn.

The blade edge does perfectly align with the base plate safety bar, however.

Any advice?

proxy.php

Cal’s light handle on the FOCS
Permasharp super (?)
Razorock Bruce
MWF
Stirling Bergamot Lavender witch hazel

I wasn’t sure about the light handle at first. After 4/5 shaves it’s proven to work just as well as the brass Piccolo handle. The more I shave with it the more I like it. In the hand it feels like a travel version of the Fatip, a travel FOCS. Perfect for a smooth cold water 1 pass shave.

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The iKon B1 Slant arrived, just in time for Slantember. Unfortunately, I’m having issues aligning the blade with the cap, with one end having more blade exposure that the other, giving the (appropriate?) appearance of a guillotine. I’ve tried various techniques to align with the cap, but unlike the X3 (which I no longer own), the B1 is stubborn.

The blade edge does perfectly align with the base plate safety bar, however.

Any advice?

proxy.php

Looks right to me...

I pretty sure it, like many slants including the Fatip, should be aligned with the comb and not aligned with the cap.

I have an X3. I don't recall at the moment what it looks like properly aligned but I think it looks just as your photo looks. Does the other side look pretty much the same? If so, that's a good sign (at least it is with the FOCS).

I hope someone more recently familiar with the X3 will chime in here.

Happy shaves,

Jim

The other side looks exactly the same, though the X3 has overall less blade reveal and can be aligned to the cap if desired, with some finessing. This razor is more aggressive than the X3 and caused a few weepers and irritation in the neck area this morning. Unfortunately, I'll be sending it back to the marketplace.

Any other mild slants, besides the X3?

Looks right to me...

I pretty sure it, like many slants including the Fatip, should be aligned with the comb and not aligned with the cap.

I have an X3. I don't recall at the moment what it looks like properly aligned but I think it looks just as your photo looks. Does the other side look pretty much the same? If so, that's a good sign (at least it is with the FOCS).

I hope someone more recently familiar with the X3 will chime in here.

Happy shaves,

Jim

The other side looks exactly the same, though the X3 has overall less blade reveal and can be aligned to the cap if desired, with some finessing. This razor is more aggressive than the X3 and caused a few weepers and irritation in the neck area this morning. Unfortunately, I'll be sending it back to the marketplace.

It's a mistake to try and manually force align the blade with the cap on this razor. The geometry of the razor gives a variable blade exposure.

Try loading the blade with the razor head upside down. Center the blade on the posts. Put on the base plate. Now, squeeze the base and cap together while tightening the handle. The blade should not move, and will be clamped in place. The blade will be centered on the posts. This is the intended position for the blade.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

Oh, I'm sure there are. Some guys have unbelievable numbers of slants.

What about the FOCS? To me, it's smooth feeling, easy to use, not prone to irritation of my skin, not likely to bite and therefore what I think of as mild.

The FOCS is also quite efficient.

It's thus an effective razor as defined by David @never-stop-learning and many others.

If you don't have one...

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Oh, I'm sure there are. Some guys have unbelievable numbers of slants.

What about the FOCS? To me, it's smooth feeling, easy to use, not prone to irritation of my skin, not likely to bite and therefore what I think of as mild.

The FOCS is also quite efficient.

It's thus an effective razor as defined by David @never-stop-learning and many others.

If you don't have one...

Happy shaves,

Jim

Agree with Jim - @Chan Eil Whiskers - on the Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS). Great razor at a very reasonable price. :cool:

As Slantember starts officially in a couple of hours I’ve decided to limit my shaves to 1 a day. That means using an open comb or slant for the next 365 days. Tomorrow mornings shave will be,

FOCS
Permasharp super (1)
Razorock keyhole 22mm
MWF
Stirling Bergamot Lavender witch hazel

This will pretty much be my set up for the whole year, with a Razorock Bruce on alternate days to prolong the life of my two best performing brushes, and a Zenith boar here and there when the days start to lengthen.

Top Bottom