What's new

Slantember (Used to be September) Is For Slants! | Version 6 | 2023

Slantember 29 - staring down the barrel of winter, two vaccines today. I must have a wonderful shave tonight!

IMG_5180.jpeg

slick face wash, plus GD Pre-shave

RR Wunderbar
S-M BDP (7)
LEA stick
SS boar

alum
Dickinson's WH
CC BR
IMG_5182.jpeg

The Wunderbar head is graced by a @Rosseforp handle.

The Super-Max Blue Diamond Platinum retired to the blade bank.

The Captain's Choice Bay Rum is such a purist's BR. I could happily use it to glorify any shave.

Enjoy the last slivers of Slantember, fellow slantists!

Thanks Jim, for another great jamboree! It has been extremely frantic on thread and extremely slanted in the Tanuki den.

Extra thanks to @Hopalong for raising the 2022 thread from the dead and fooling a bunch of us into jumping right down that freshly opened rabbit hole.

Can’t have slantember without the beautiful razors produced by the Ben Hur Rasirmesserfabrik. Meaning, it’s time for Apollo/Ben Hur, two brands by the same factory, that have quite a bunch of identical models. I actually own a two-piece razor where the baseplate is branded Apollo, and the handle Ben Hur.
Funny thing is, you can always recognise their regular razors by the tell-tale “propellor”-baseplate, but I have yet to find a slant with such a thing.
Todays shave was with the Ben Hur mid-front.
IMG_0017.jpeg

I've been really busy lately. Sunday's shave was with the Turkish soap Jikoryen. I was one of the lucky guys who benefited from @Zora generousity. It's close to Arko in all aspects except its scent isn't as bad/strong/whatever. I prefer it over Arko. My wife enjoys the scent of the Afta original and it is long lasting. Parker Semi Slant and Yaqi Timberwolf. This is a great inexpensive set up with performance above its price.
1696078767388.jpeg

Wednesday's shave was with two of my absolute favorites. The Havana Vieja is a vegan warm, spicy, tabacco scent. Fantastic scent with very good performance---it's not my favorite performance wise, but it is scent wise. VIBR needs no introduction. Parker Semi Slant and Yaqi Timberwolf.

1696078784327.jpeg

Believe it or not Arko does make products that don't stink!:c9: I like their creams with the sensitive being my most used. @Doc Dan put me onto RR Irish Countryside. It's a Green Irish Tweed clone and has a steady place in my rotation. (My wife and I both prefer Sharp Dressed Man, but they are very close with the Irish Countryside being a better deal when on sale.) Last shave of the month with the Parker Semi Slant and Yaqi Timberwolf.

1696078796995.jpeg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Slants.Unobtanium.efsk.640..jpeg

Can’t have slantember without the beautiful razors produced by the Ben Hur Rasirmesserfabrik. Meaning, it’s time for Apollo/Ben Hur, two brands by the same factory, that have quite a bunch of identical models. I actually own a two-piece razor where the baseplate is branded Apollo, and the handle Ben Hur.
Funny thing is, you can always recognise their regular razors by the tell-tale “propellor”-baseplate, but I have yet to find a slant with such a thing.
Todays shave was with the Ben Hur mid-front.

Unbelievable!

Unobtanium!

You have the most amazing slants. Thanks so much for sharing them with us.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
1696082043841.png

Beautiful handle. Great Wunderbar photo.

Enjoy the last slivers of Slantember, fellow slantists!

Indeed.

Thanks Jim, for another great jamboree! It has been extremely frantic on thread and extremely slanted in the Tanuki den.

Thank for joining in.

Extra thanks to @Hopalong for raising the 2022 thread from the dead and fooling a bunch of us into jumping right down that freshly opened rabbit hole.

That was fun wasn't it.

I've not been brave enough to use my Wunderbar this month.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SLANTemper. Saturday, Sept 30th 2023

Razor : Razorock Wunderbar slant 316 SSP with a modified Micromatic handle- Mfg 2017-22 mid to upper mid range. Machining & finish QC are excellent with a unique design. Once mastered this razor produces excellent close comfortable shaves, l like to use a light touch + a Steep approach (riding the bar) with a short handle for less weight & leverage, the short handle reacts quicker to changing areas of the face. Had a close comfortable shave this morning with no issues.
Blade : Gillette 7oclock Permasharp(1) sharp & smooth with reasonable longevity.
Soap : Razorock Lavender, nice masculine lavender scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi "Moka express" 26mm Husky synthetic knot. Excellent lather generator, luxury cloud like soft tips, gentle splay scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Razorock King Louis splash with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : 1-10 dial - Copy (2)2 template 10.1.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Had a close comfortable shave this morning with my RR Wunderbar slant with a Gillette Permasharp blade.
SOTD September 30 2023.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
View attachment 1725425

Beautiful handle. Great Wunderbar photo.

Indeed.

Thank for joining in.

That was fun wasn't it.

I've not been brave enough to use my Wunderbar this month.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Jim, I also want to thank you for Slantember. I’ve been able to use all the slants I’ve never used and learned a lot. I had fun while doing so.

I hope to get my last Slantember shave in after work today with my ATT X1…..always a treat.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
This Slantember's shaves are history for me.

9-30-21.SS.L1+.Ethos.RacingGreen.640.JPG

Shave notes for today are here.

What did you learn in school today?.png

Don't we all. Gotta advance Shaving Science™.

The most important things I learned this month revolve around the Superslant. Going into Slantember I thought the razor had great potential should I find the right baseplate. Thinking the L1++ a bit much I acquired a slightly milder baseplate for Slantember. Luckily I learned which baseplate works best for me in the razor, how much I like it, and that the Superslant L1+ is a Daily Driver. More here.

It's not news that the ATT X1 Slant is a Daily Driver for me. I used it only once. That was enough to remind me why I sometimes say the X1 is the best of my razors. I enjoyed using the ATT S1. It's a terrific razor, and is at least a Daily Driver Contender.

This month's surprise? The incredible Filament. Wow!

My old iKon X3 compares favorably to the iKon B1 Standard Slant which came to me in honor of Slantember. I definitely prefer the X3 for regular use, but believe the B1 has its place.

Slantember encouraged me to revisit some old friends. It helped me make new friends. It taught me a bit more about a couple of razors which don't cut it for me, too, and that's good information. As we know, our evaluations are subject to revision. I wonder if revisionism increases or decreases over time?

What I like about Slantember is twofold.
  1. I love looking at photographs which include one or more slants which sucks me into formulating for myself a slant related goal which varies from year to year.
  2. The Slant Division of the BOSC Shaving Science Academy and Research Facility™ pays me handsomely to do stuff I'd do for free.

If you told me the Superslant L1+ is the best DE slant on the planet it would be very hard for me to argue with you.

1696094566622.png

I've mentioned photographs, but I also enjoy reading about slants. I use slants of course, but I don't understand them, and have a lot to learn from smarter and/or more expert fellows. Thanks for assisting in that project.

The unusual and often unobtanium slants which tend to surface should take a bow.

What did you learn? What did you like?

Happy shaves,

Jim

For my last slant shave of the month I pulled out one I don’t think I’ve ever used. It came as a pleasant surprise with something purchased here on B&B. It’s a PAA and I think it’s the glow in the dark version. Is there two versions of that? I dunno. I decided to put it on a RazoRock handle. You can pretty much forget about alignment with this thing based on its design. Which is not to say it was bad, merely it’s difficult to tell. Fine by me, I’m not too picky. Anyway, worked nicely on 1.5 days growth. Fairly mild but nicely efficient.:thumbsup:
IMG_1867.jpeg
IMG_1868.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1869.jpeg
    IMG_1869.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
Slantember 2023 SOTD
SOTD-PBOCS-Y_2023-09-30.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Simpson Wee Scot 13/39
Cream: LEA Mentolada
Razor: PBOCS [Phoenix Bakelite Open Comb Slant]
Blade: Gillette 7o'clock Black (9)
ASL: Osage Rub

A superb shave. :biggrin:

For Slantember, I only got four slant shaves in at the eleventh hour, but I've enjoyed them all. Thank you, Jim (@Chan Eil Whiskers), for hosting the great Slantember thread, much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

Slantember 30th

It was fun to see everyone's slanted equipment, especially those beautiful plastic and metal vintage pieces! I am always rushing my pictures because I don't want to have to explain to my wife what I am doing if she were to walk in on me! I leave Slantember in those lovely Fall season colors! I love this time of Year.

Onward to OCtober, see you all there!

IMG_7701.jpg

Soap: ARKO!
Brush: Zenith unbleached boar with an olive wood handle. This brush is a fairly recent acquisition, and I love it. It's much denser than my Omega 49. I face lathered with ARKO! and got plenty of quality lather.
Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock Super Stainless.
Razor: Razorock German Slant. I have not had the best of luck with slants this month. I have myself a small buck on my Adam's apple and bled like a stick pig. Oddly little sting from the alum block. More sting from the Floïd aftershave.

2023-09-30 12.48.37-1.jpg

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
For my last slant shave of the month I pulled out one I don’t think I’ve ever used.

Very nearly that exact kit (with an added shim between blade and baseplate) is one of my favourite razors. Of the three razors that I have in my "get outta here, there's a fire!" kit, that's one. The other two are the Rex Konsul and the Superslant L2OC/L3SB.

We've had some rain. Pretty soon I'll put them back in the case with the others, but for just now I'm still a wee bit nervous.

O.H.

For my last slant shave of the month I pulled out one I don’t think I’ve ever used. It came as a pleasant surprise with something purchased here on B&B. It’s a PAA and I think it’s the glow in the dark version. Is there two versions of that? I dunno. I decided to put it on a RazoRock handle. You can pretty much forget about alignment with this thing based on its design. Which is not to say it was bad, merely it’s difficult to tell. Fine by me, I’m not too picky. Anyway, worked nicely on 1.5 days growth. Fairly mild but nicely efficient.:thumbsup:
That sir, is a genuine El Fantasma (ELF) and it is made from a block of pure Kryptonite. It does glow when exposed to photons. It is impervious to solar flares so you can shave with it pretty much anywhere in this universe.

Top Bottom